Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 6.5 mm SWEDE mold

6.5 mm SWEDE mold

Found 2 Lymans, one scheduled to arrive at the dealer in a couple weeks (a round nose 140 gr bullet that has SOME Louverin features (many grease grooves) They have always had trouble keeping them in stock.

and a 150 gr RN gas check FLAT NOSE in stock

I am NOT too fond of gas checks ( I will not order them ) 'cept for .30 cal. (which I HAVE!)

Why is this 150 gr mold a FLAT nose bullet, which doesn't excite me. dont look forward to ordering IT

I DO have 200 Midway 6.5 mm boat tail (condomized) "specials" I got for $7.50 / C I can get by with, but is is agin' my religion to avoid cast shooting

yodar

Boolit Master
    yodar,

If the Lyman mould that has "many grease grooves" is the 140 grain 266469, it is a gas check design. So, too, is their 150 grain 266673.

In Remebrance

I only own one PB 6.5 mould, an NEI 90 gr FN that doesn't shoot so hot so far. The Lyman 6.5 Loverins all took GC's. I'd find some GC's or get a tool to make them if I were you.

Boolit Buddy
    You can get any of CBE's molds in plain base - take a good look at 265132.
    Grouch

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

6.5 swede

that catridge might need a gas check if any speed is wanted.and I am not talking 3000fts.I bet that bullet can get very hot going out the barrel.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yodar View Post
    Found 2 Lymans, one scheduled to arrive at the dealer in a couple weeks (a round nose 140 gr bullet that has SOME Louverin features (many grease grooves) They have always had trouble keeping them in stock.

and a 150 gr RN gas check FLAT NOSE in stock

I am NOT too fond of gas checks ( I will not order them ) 'cept for .30 cal. (which I HAVE!)

Why is this 150 gr mold a FLAT nose bullet, which doesn't excite me. dont look forward to ordering IT

I DO have 200 Midway 6.5 mm boat tail (condomized) "specials" I got for $7.50 / C I can get by with, but is is agin' my religion to avoid cast shooting

yodar

Greetings friend Yodar

I've shot Lyman 266469. It is a Loverin bullet. I've gotten excellent accuracy with 10.5 grs Unique, no filler, Lee factory crimp, Swedish Berdan primed Gallery cases (primed in 1963). It is a gas check bullet. Ya gotta use gas checks. This load chronographs at 1,500 fps. The ones I'm shooting now are leftovers from Wayne Doudna. I did buy this mold as I was very pleased with the performance.

I have the new Lyman 150 gr 266673. Its a conventional bore riding design using a gas check. I've not cast any with it yet. I have high hopes for it. I suspect one of the reasons it has a slight flat nose is overall length. Possibly magazine box length. Since neither you nor I are going to be shooting these types of bullets much beyond 100 yds that little flat nose isn't going to bother me.

I have the mold for the Lee custom "cruise missle" 170 gr but I'm still shooting the ones I bought from Gardner's Cache. I've shot them and they are at least equal to the accuracy potential of 266469 so far as I've shot them, which isn't a lot. They're a bit awkward to load as they're so dang long that there's much bullet shank below the neck. But they've shot beautifully with a mild load of 2400. I'm going to up the charge of 2400 and see how things go.

Gas checks are not evil. Gas checks will be your friend if you talk nice to them and put them on gently they'll be nice to you. Try and make friends with them, ok?

Dutch

Super Moderator

These are all the 6.5 cast boolit designs I've shot to date in my Swedes. LEFT PHOTO, from left1) A 128gr Lyman SC (NLA) I sold to 45 2.1, 2) The 'Jumptrap' 1st edition 140gr Lee custom group buy 2 cav, 3) The Lyman 268645 so called 'Hi Velocity' 152gr design (NLA) 4) The 170gr Lee custom group buy single cavity 'Cruise Missle' (avail from Mid-South) RIGHT PHOTO, from left The 135gr Lee 6 cavity group buy I ran a couple years back. The custom 170gr Lee. Both boolits loaded and seated to engrave.

The 135gr "Kurtz" was designed as a copy of the old Lyman in the top left photo. The old Lyman reached over 1800 fps for me with very good accuracy, and simple loading techniques. To date the Kurtz shot to 1835 fps with comparable accuracy. In my 6 cavity mould and using lino, the Kurtz weighs the same 128grs as the Lyman HP.

LEFT 170gr slug seated out one more lube groove, RIGHT Ditto the 135gr Kurtz. Seated on band lower as in the top right photo, the nose of the 170gr will engrave and the top band of the 135gr Kurtz will engrave. ALL of these designs have proven to be very accurate in all my Swedes (M96, M38, M94, and Ag42B Ljungman (fired single shot ).

I personally have no desire to shoot the 6.5x55 with PB slugs. However if you can shoot them accurately to normal PB rifle velocities (1200 - 1400 fps) from small bore high velocity rifles, I'd think the long for caliber boolits would do well on smallish type critters and varmints.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance