Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Chamfering/deburring pistol cases

Boolit Master

Chamfering/deburring pistol cases

Is it really nesessary to chamfer and deburr pistol cases after every firing or only after infrequent trimming? Been reloading for better than 30 years and sometimes I do and sometimes I don't! What's your take on this step? I do, however, clean primer pockets faithfully!!

Boolit Master

Don"

HI
    I was not aware that was a normal step w/ pistol brass and so have never done it in over 30+ yrs. of reloading. I have only camfered & deburred rifle brass.
    Last edited by BOOM BOOM; 06-30-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Your cases will not need chamfer and deburr unless you have trimmed the cases. You don't need a knife edge on the case, just a smooth surface. I think primer pocket cleaning is not necessary but do it if it gives you more confidence. The depriming pin makes sure the hole is open.

Boolit Master

Don't know if you even have to do it to start with

HI
    I was not aware that was a normal step w/ pistol brass and so have never done it in over 30+ yrs. of reloading. I have only camfered & deburred rifle brass.

I've never done it on pistol brass... If you trim your brass (if necessary) before sizing, you'll never need to, either. The sizer will knock the outside edge smooth, and the expander will clean up the inside. Chamfering/deburring is only necessary if you're going to be seating a bullet in a case that's not belled at the mouth (rifle brass).

I always chamfer new brass but just the one time. I did deburr some .44 brass for load development in a Marlin rifle. Don't know if it helped or not but it doesn't cost anything and it might help.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

in general I don't de-burr (38 and 357 cases)...except when I trim the cases and there again I dont pay much attention to trimming these cases...

Boolit Master
    i only chamfer one time after a trim. I usually load lighter loads, and minimally flare and crimp. i've found if i don't i get some lead shaved as i seat the boolet. I could probably avoid this with a larger flare and heavier crimp, but there's no reason to work the brass more than needed.

I generally only trim pistol cases one time, just to get a consistant lenght. i don't have much change over the life of the case.

as far as cleaning primer pockets, i don't do it every time. only "as needed" about every 4 or 5th loading. I've never had a problem seating primers that way.

my .02 worth
    LB

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

pistol

I have never trimmed pistol cases or chamfered.and I load 10 calibers.I also dont
    load heavy.
    and if you flare to much you only crimp normally.or just to bring to size.
    WILDCATT

In Remembrance

I trim pistol cases one time to uniform crimp. I use the LEE trimmers in a cordless drill, so it's easy to chamfer and deburr while spinning the case.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    If you're shooting revolver cartridges, consistent case length is mandatory to get consistent crimps. I trim revolver cases before loading for the first time. The burrs that form on the inside and outside of the case mouth from trimming are removed with the chamfer/deburr tool. I don't remember trimming any of them after the first time.

I would think that autopistol cases that supposedly headspace on the case mouth would benefit from trimming to the same length, as well. This will give consistent firing pin impact and will aid in consistent taper crimp.

My $0.02

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    I chamfer and deburr every case only after trimming. Both pistol and rifle. I have just started deburring the flash hole on every case before loading. Deburring the flash hole is a one time step and should be done on even new cases. I clean the primer pockets after decapping and after every firing and before loading any range pick ups.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.