WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: .45-60 from .45-70 brass??

Boolit Buddy

.45-60 from .45-70 brass??

My nephew just obtained a replica m76 rifle in .45-60 caliber. Ammunition is priced out of this world. There seems to be a slight difference in rim thickness with the .45-70. My question is, will cut and trimmed 45-70 brass work with out any bolt modification? Would the bolt face need to be polished down a bit. The rifle is a m76 clone from Italy. Nephew is concerned about thinning the rim and getting high primers. Also is the rifle strong enough for smokeless loads?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by tom barthel View Post
    Nephew is concerned about thinning the rim and getting high primers.
    One thins the rim from the side adjacent to the case mouth, usually on a lathe. This way the primer pocket remains the same depth.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Tom check the chamber first , it's possible that the 45-70 brass will work with just shortening.
    Also you can go to www.cascity.com and look and read under the forum dedicated entirely to the 1876
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub
    A friend of mine has a '76 replica in 45-60, and he uses 45-70 brass trimmed to length with no other mods. I'm not sure what brand he uses, but he shoots it a lot with no troubles.

captainkirk

Boolit Master
    My 45-60 76 was made in 1883 and I simply trim 45-70 brass and use it with no other mods. I don't shoot it a lot but I do shoot it! (with black)

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The early recent imports of 1876 clones were defective in that some were chambered with incorrect headspace. Gather up some junk 45-70 cases, as you are intrested in checking headspace, F/L, then shorten to any length shorter than 45-60 and see if they chamber ok. Chances are they will in any of the newer imports. I have a 45-60 highwall and all current 45-70 brands of cases when full lenthed and shortened, chamber and extract well. As a matter of fact I reload for it with a 45-70 Lyman 310 tool. If you anneal occasionally the cases are virtually everlasting. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all. I got lots of good information. I'll pass it along to my nephew.
    Tom

Boolit Master
    Idaho Sharpshooter did an extensive article on this rifle and cartridge awhile back in one of the specialized magazines that you don't find on most magazine racks at Wal-Mart. Send him a PM and see if he can help you.