Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Swiss Vetterli

Boolit Buddy

Swiss Vetterli

I recently purchased a 69/71 Swiss Vetterli from an online auction. The rifle is in very nice condition considering it's age, except for the barrel. It's like a sewer pipe. Somewhere in it's history it wasn't cleaned after using BP/corrosive ammo. After 4 days of intensive brushing and use of KROIL, I can see rifling. Lots of pitting in the grooves, some pitting on the lands, but at least rifling from chamber to muzzle. The rifle has neen converted to centerfire and I am familiar with the procedure to make brass from .348 Win. brass. I am informed these rifles actually need a .44 cal. bullet. My question is, in view of the badly pitted bore, what to initially try for a bullet. Wheel weight alloy, heat treated WW, Linotype, paper patch??? I tend to lean toward trying paper patch but what do I use for an undersize bullet to paper patch???

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Cast Hunter

First you’ll need to slug the bore to see exactly what you’re dealing with. I’ve heard of Swiss Vetterli bores running anywhere from .425” to .439” with most laying at .429”. If you want to use the tubular magazine, you will need to use bullets that are close to the original weight of 330 grains. That is because the OAL is critical to the functioning of the loading lifter (Lighter 44 mag bullets will work in single shot mode, but probably won’t load from the magazine because you can’t get the OAL as long as it needs to be). Some have had success with the Lee 429-310. CBE makes a 330 grain mould specifically for the Vetterli. I believe LBT makes a 320 grain bullet that has been used successfully. As far as alloy, you’ll just have to experiment to see what works. I’ve heard Vetterli owners swear by anything from “almost pure lead” to water dropped WW. Can’t help you with PP.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the Vetterli club! I also have a 69/71 which had some issues with the barrel. From your description, mine was not as bad though. I also did a lot of cleaning and scrubbing and anything else I could think of to shine it up. I got some advise from a couple board members for the care and feeding, and was told to stop cleaning and shoot it. I finally listened, gave up the brushes, slugged the barrel, loaded up some shells with the Lee 310 grain bullet (Wheel Weights, FWFL, unsized, no gas check), and went to the range. It shot! It shot way better than I expected! (The groups were good, but mine were about 2 feet above point of aim at 100, and about a foot high at 200 yards.) Because of the results, I ordered a custom sizer. After a month or so when the sizer came in, I had shot quite a few rounds through it, and most of the nasty spots in the barrel were gone. Polished off by lead and antimony? The Lee bullet is reasonable for weight, but will hang up feeding from the magazine if not exactly the right overall length. I've had pretty good results with it. I was going to try a couple other 44 molds but haven't had the motivation to change from the 310 Lee. Gas checks didn't affect my groups much so I saved them for another project. I've tried Unique, AA5744, and IMR4759, and H4198. 4198 was not very good, the others were better. I have changed to heat treated bullets, and that seems to make better groups.

Enjoy!

Check the archives with the search function, there is a lot of good advise from several knowledgeable experienced Vetterli operators!

Trapshooter
    Last edited by Trapshooter; 06-29-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added "check"

Boolit Master

This how my brothers Vetterli with a poor bore shoots.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

71 vet

I am making my cases longer than spec.thats because the vet has no neck stop.
    and using lees bullet unsized.I have fired only a few as I am still developing the case.and I loaded 13.5 gr Red Dot.I just ran into a problem as the seater die is
    .429 and the bullet mikes right on .430.so I am getting a lee size die in .429.
    I have a source who advises on cases.as he has a no of swiss.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been having great results with a Lyman 429350, 300gr, 431di.
    IMR 700x, 9.0gr.
    Reformed 8mm lebel brass.
    Kind of a poop load.
    1" at 50yds, 2" to 3" at 100yds.

Anyone load something with other than pistol/shotgun powder?????
    I was thinking of trying balck powder, but don't want to injure the rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    ..Anyone load something with other than pistol/shotgun powder?????..
    A case full of Hodgdons Triple Seven, ffg is a lot of fun.
    It won't hurt any Swiss rifle in good enough condition to be fired.
    Velocities are close to the original loadings, with the 310gr Lee boolit.
    Thorough cleaning is required, but very easy.
    Mine cleans up with a couple of wet patches, a dry patch and an oiled patch to finish.
    I use Blacksolve for cleanig, but Windex or dishwashing detergent in water would work just as well.

Jack

I had the same experience as Trapshooter. My Vet had a dark bore with no discernable pitting.
    Spent a few hours putting differing concoctions down the barrel for little noticable change.
    Loaded up some 429421 sized to .430 with A5744. After 50 of these the barrel virtually sparkled!
    Suprisingly accurate gun once the sights are figured out.
    Tony

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

41 swiss

I wonder how trail boss would work.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    I wonder how trail boss would work.
    I think that anything works, I have tried WW231, AA452, SR4759, WC680, American Pioneer, Unique, even tried WC860, all with darn good results. It was a tie as to which was dirter the American Pioneer or the WC860, it was also the mildest recoil but it hit the target where I wanted and more than once.

My absolute favorite is:
    19.5 grains SR4759
    Top with 1/4 sheet of toilet paper tamped in on top of powder with the eraser end of a pencil. Fold in remaining edges loosely in a manner that the powder is held to the primer end. Note that the toilet paper bumps up the velocity an pressure to levels reached with 21.0 grains without. Therefore don't use it with any heavier loads....work up always.
    Top with a heeled bullet of original design, WW lubed with Lee alox.
    This load recreates original velocities and the toilet paper aids in consitency in standard deviation on the Chrony which most won't believe.
    Cheap to shoot, aim is about 10" high at 75 yards with original sights so rigging up a temporary slip on to raise the front is advised. If you have been on the Swiss rifle site you are familiar with my penchant for using it on raccoons and black squirrels. The 348 brass lasts forever. Enjoy
    Cheers
    TheCounty

Boolit Grand Master
    Anyone try 2400 in a Vetterli????
    I've been playing with
    it in my 1889SR and have been getting good results.
    I was thinking of starting at 16.0 with a 310gr bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 21 grains of 2400 using a 310 gr bullet.