Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna Model 33 rolling block

Boolit Master

Husqvarna Model 33 rolling block

The Husqvarna Model 33 is a beautifully built classic commercial rolling block that was offered in a variety of calibers including some large bores. The action itself is rather small. Much smaller than the #1 Remington action.

The full stock musket is just elegant.

According to the book, "Husqvarna Jaktvapen 1870-1977", this was known as the Studsare Nr 33, Remingtonmekanism med centralantändning tillverkades under ___? 1877 to 1912 (in the following cartridges):
    6x36R, 6.5x42R, 8x42R, 8x57R/.360, 9x47R, 9,15x57R/.360, 9,5x47R, 10x47R, 10,5x47R. (Remington mechanism with central firing pin or something..).

Barrel length 65cm for calibers 6 through 6,5. For other calibers 72cm. Something about the sights calibrated for 60, 120 & 180 meters. Did I mention this book is in Swedish? I don't read Swedish fluently .

The halfstock is: halvstock.
    Price in 1877 was 55 Kroner.
    The "helstock" (must be full stock) was 75 Kroner.
    There was a Model 33A from 1893 to 1912 with a halfstock and pistol grip (pistolgrepp).

I had one of the full stock muskets and I coulda sworn it was 8x58R Danish. But Ken Buch decided he wanted it more than me so we did some trading. I wasn't real happy with the size of the action. It just doesn't inspire confidence being a little girl size action. But they are a beautifully built rifle.

Last edited by Dutchman; 06-29-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Boolit Master

OOOOHH I like that full stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

I've got the full stocked 33A and I think they're one of the nicest looking Rolling Block actions I've ever owned! A wonderful shooting rifle also, and the small lightweight rifle is a joy to shoot!

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot that is pretty!
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

In Remembrance
    If Remington would have made em that pretty they would have sold twice as many. Really neat.
    Did they make enough of these that I can aspire to own one?

Life is good

Boolit Mold
    My Model 33 is a custom order or deluxe model with English grip and Norsk (Norwegian) target sights. It is chambered in 9.5x47R. A couple of things have made it difficult to load for. First, the dies size the shoulder much farther back than the chamber depth. This has resulted in several split cases, which are kind of spendy. Annealing may help this, or I need a special die to neck size the cases. The second and most problematic (at least for me) is that the bore is .385 (if I recall correctly) and I have not found a suitable precast bullet to shoot. I did shoot some .380 dia. bullets with OK results, but the 9.5x47R was a popular target cartridge in its day and I should be able to get much better results. I have thought about paper patching, but have not found a suitable cast bullet with no grease grooves. Any thoughts or ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 33 007.jpg   rear sight2.jpg   new 33 005.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    on 21 acres with 9 waterfalls (western NY)
    Wow, those are beautiful. So am I to understand that you can buy these guns now? Are they reproductions or used and from the original era?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoroMan View Post
    Wow, those are beautiful. So am I to understand that you can buy these guns now? Are they reproductions or used and from the original era?
    Sorry ZoroMan they are all antiques. A number of nice ones have come in from Sweden through several importers, but it seems that the supply is drying up. The reason I assume mine is a custom or deluxe rifle is that it is the only one like it I have seen. Most look like the ones posted earlier with pistol grips and leaf sights.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range.
    Quote Originally Posted by .357 View Post
    Shoot that is pretty!
    222mag is not 223!

Dutch, those are beautiful rifles. If someone would make them again, I'll bet they'd sell well enough. The action is more elegant than the slab-sided models.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my little No 2 Remington, but those are just sweet.

Robert.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigskybound View Post
    Sorry ZoroMan they are all antiques.

The HVA33 are not all antiques. Mfg through 1912. In the USofA "antique" concerning firearms begins Jan.1, 1899. I would bet the larger number of these we'd see in the US are "modern" but curio-relic for 03FFL.

Dutchman <03ffl for 25 yrs>

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    The HVA33 are not all antiques. Mfg through 1912. In the USofA "antique" concerning firearms begins Jan.1, 1899. I would bet the larger number of these we'd see in the US are "modern" but curio-relic for 03FFL.

Dutchman <03ffl for 25 yrs>
    My bad. I was speaking more to the antiquity of the rifles rather than their legal designation as a "firearm."

Boolit Mold
    I have a half stock Husqvarna rolling block that looks very much like the one pictured,mine was purchased in1892 by my great-grandfather no idea of cal., but a beautiful firearm any idea of value?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mj134 View Post
    I have a half stock Husqvarna rolling block that looks very much like the one pictured,mine was purchased in1892 by my great-grandfather no idea of cal., but a beautiful firearm any idea of value?
    Using the words, "very much like", does absolutely nothing to describe what it is you have. You cannot class similar firearms simply because they look "very much like" to a person who doesn't have firearms background. We need photos.

As for value. How can anyone possibly tell you the value of something they haven't seen? Nobody has any idea what it is you have. Please, photos.

Dutch'

Boolit Mold
    Dutch, is Ken Buch of Kebco? I'm trying to wheedle one of these out of him, or anyone for that matter!
    Thanks, Doug in Raton

Husky 33

I bought one of these, at an antique arms show in K.C. Mo. It was chambered for 45-120. obiviously a re-barrel job, however, the top of the 45-120 barrel was marked with a bunch of proof marks like it was of military issue ?? I took it to my favorite gunsmith who transformed it into 45-70, the rifle origianally had a three leaf express rear sight, I put a rear tang sight on her and a Lyman #3 target front sight, now some beautiful figured walnut and might have to finish her off with a new color case hardening job.

Boolit Buddy

but ! how well does it cut wood?
    " I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quigley

Boolit Mold
    Are those black powder designated rb actions? Cause I don't see the "N" for Nickelstahl or Nitro, meaning they are not designed to be shot with nitro. Or are the later models made for smokeless and have an "N" stamped on the critical pins? That's the first time I've seen any of these smaller rolling block actions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast