Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !st time smelting, here's a pic what is this?

!st time smelting, here's a pic what is this?

Thanks to a crab cooker and a ss pot, I was able to melt 50lbs of nasty, dirty oily ww. Both the clip-on kind and the stick-on kind. I removed all the clips and solid junk that floated to the top, along with some ash I suppose was left over from rubber burning off? I expected a lot of the tin to oxidize on the surface and I figure that can be re-introduced via fluxing, but there's this layer of blueish-green on ther that doesn't seem to want to flux back in.

Did I wait too long to flux, is there a point of no return where it's too difficult to de-oxydize the stuff, what can you tell me?

Even if I ruin it, no big deal this is a learning process. But I would like to know what to do next. It's cooling off as I write this, will I be able to salvage this as useable alloy?

Banned

just skim it off tin will give your pot a gold color floating on top.
    that looks likeboric acid floating on top like you fluxed with boraxo and it hasn't turned to the glass stage and black yet.
    if it's crusting up just take it out and pour ingots.

There's a little gold color under the blue. I fluxed with sawdust and stirred with a cedar stick. I didn't add borax. Before it cooled it was a brighter blue, does that help? Crusting up isn't a problem, if this blue crud is disposable. I just don't want to throw away anything I should be keeping.

In Remebrance

I've never seen "blue crud" before. Could it be a coating from the WW or the pot maybe? I'd just flux the crap out of it (pun intended) and toss whatever didn't look like lead alloy.

Boolit Master

I added 50/50 solder before and my melt turned blue.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    + 2 on what Bret said!

I'd think you had some ink or an old pen in the ww and didn't catch it during the melt.

Sawdust and a piant stiring stick from Lowe's or home depot, work that combo for a good five minutes adding sawdust as it "burns off" then skim the top and make ingots!

Banned
    I have seen a similar color/look to the melt one time. I was intentionally adding copper pipe to ww/pure and using a rosebud torchtip. The crud was fluxed off the surface and it was a pretty melt. When the temp started getting high again it would slightly reappear..each and everytime. This is just a guess but I am thinking I was having a coppersulphate reaction of some sort.

Not sure what you have there, but if you burnt some rubber in the mix that could be your sulfur contribution, not sure where your copper would have come from... maybe from the ww maybe from your pot.........but thats alot of maybeeeeeees.

Boolit Master
    Lower the temperature. If you heat steel, it will turn a straw (gold) color, and then blue. The same with lead.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    The blue could be from a brass valve stem.

I dump my clips and trash in a metal coffee can and any good stuff tends to solidify together at the bottom of the can. The clips store a bunch of heat and in the metal can the heat flows upward and all the good stuff collects at the bottom. When I've finished pouring ingots and loaded the pot for the next smelt, I'll turn my can of clips upside down and any tin will be sitting on top. If it's stuck to a bunch of clips, I just throw it in the pot and reclaim.

OK thanks guys. There's no coating on the SS pot AFAIK. Yes there was some rubber in there with the WW, but I think I got all the valve stems out. I think I'll just flux it real good and skim the surface, pour some ingots.

Boolit Master

My guess is the lead is very hot. My ingots take on a blue color if I let the lead get too hot.
    At one with the gun.

thermometer said 700° or so. The melt in the pic is cold.

Man I don't know about this smelting stuff. I think the majority of my skim must be tin, no matter how much I fluxed it just built up thick on the surface. I stir it up, the surface goes shiny-bright; stop stirring, it goes golden then green then blue then purple, and thick. Out of 50lbs of WW I got 12 cupcakes of what is probably pure lead.

how heavy are the cupcakes? You should get at least 80% return. if those suckers dont weigh at least 3lbs each you did something wrong.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have the itch, but I don't have the scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
    Man I don't know about this smelting stuff. I think the majority of my skim must be tin, no matter how much I fluxed it just built up thick on the surface. I stir it up, the surface goes shiny-bright; stop stirring, it goes golden then green then blue then purple, and thick. Out of 50lbs of WW I got 12 cupcakes of what is probably pure lead.

Don't worry....be happy!

I think you're worrying way too much about what's floating on your melt and what's left in your ingots. The gold/green/blue color change is natural. It doesn't mean anything sinister.

After you skim off the clips, lug nuts, valve stems and other floating crud then flux, the metal will immediately start oxydizing....you can't stop it...the hotter your melt the faster it will oxydize. The more you disturb the surface the faster it will oxydize, so while you're dipping with your ladle to pour ingots, you're causing more oxydization.

IT DOESN'T MATTER! Whether you skim off the oxide and throw it away or pour it into the ingots along with the other metal, your ingots will still be the same composition. The Sn and Sb are not seperating out of your alloy. You won't be able to tell the difference with a hardness test. You won't be able to tell the difference when you cast boolits. IT DOESN'T MATTER!

When you remelt the ingots in your casting pot, you'll flux it, so it doesn't matter if your ingots have a little oxide in them, you'll take care of it when you flux.

If you're going to leave the molten alloy sitting in the pot for hours on end and use the same batch of alloy over and over again, and skim off the oxides, like the typesetters do, then you should be concerned about depleting the Sn. Hopefully, though, you'll cast good boolits the first time and need to get more alloy for your next casting session, so your alloy isn't oxydizing long enough to cause any problems.

Don't worry....be happy!

Jerry

YUP, +1 on the worry too much, like you said, no biggie, your learning and I think you are on the right track , there are lots of variables that may affect the color of a particular smelt, depending on what may be in it....so stir/ skim/ pour ingots...go make boolits and Be Happy.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I have a lot of WW and can easily get more, I have half a dozen tire shops nearby that give me a 5-gal bucketful whenever I go ask. Having done this once now I think the next time will go smoother.

Boolit Master
    Get all the WW's you can NOW! They won't spoil and you probley won't be able to get them a few years from now. So if you truly can get a 5 gal. bucket full whenever you go ask, go ask twice a day. Dennis

Well if I pester them like that the sources will dry up pretty quick. besides, I only have just so much room to store them.

Boolit Master
    The tin and antimony will not seperate from the alloy. My guess is that the alloy temperature is a little too high. Try fluxing with a gob of bullet lube or a piece of bees wax. Use a piece of hard wood and work the dross ( dross = the colored stuff floating on top ) against the side of the pot till all you have left is dirt and carbon. Scoop the black stuff off and you have perfectly good alloy to cast with. Working the dross against the side of the pot is something that I seldom see mentioned here. It is an important step if you want consistency in your ingots. I often stir with my hard wood stick then after the stick is good and hot rub it with a piece of bees wax then stir the melt with it. This gets the flux down deep in the melt and removes more impurities. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose. Do it outside as this method creates a lot of smoke.

Nighthunter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast