Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: mould maker questions

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

mould maker questions

Here is a list of questions

Questions

1. How many cavities can you put in a mould? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8?

2. What do you charge for 1 cav mold? (Plain base or GC, just not hollow pointed)
    A. 2C
    B. 3C
    C. 4C
    D. 5C
    E. 6C
    F. 7C
    G. 8C

3. Will you HP one cavity in a multi-cavity mould?

4. What do you charge for HP one cavity in a multi-cavity mould?

5. Will you make plain base and GC bullets in the same mould?

6. If there is a cost for this what is it?

7. What do you charge for a 2cav Cramer style bullet?

8. Is there a minimum number of moulds that need to be ordered from you before you will run them?

9. If the minimum number is different per the type of mould requested please detail what the differences and minimums are.

10. If all the moulds from one group buy were sent to one person what would you charge for shipping? For example one person orders the minimum number of moulds for a group buy, what will you charge to ship all of the moulds to him?

11. Do you require any specific type of drawing for the design? Any particular program file required?

12. What are your allowable tolerances from the drawing specifications?

13. Are there any type or size or length of bullet designs you won’t or cannot do? EX. Loverin, 69 cal, etc….

Any of this or all of this may or not be covered on your web pages. If you need help setting one up, let me know and something will be arranged.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    Here is a list of questions

Questions

From 1 to 6

2. What do you charge for 1 cav mold? (Plain base or GC, just not hollow pointed)
    A. 2C
    B. 3C
    C. 4C
    D. 5C
    E. 6C
    F. 7C
    G. 8C

Prices vary - depends on boolit design and material

No

/

Yes if all in group buy wants that

Depends on boolit design - if i need extra cherry - there will be additional cost

As we speak is 85$ plus shipping (prices may change depends on EUR to USD conversion)

8. Is there a minimum number of moulds that need to be ordered from you before you will run them?

at least 20 molds (in some cases 15, but then price is a little bit higher

9. If the minimum number is different per the type of mould requested please detail what the differences and minimums are.

Boolit design is main factor here

10. If all the moulds from one group buy were sent to one person what would you charge for shipping? For example one person orders the minimum number of moulds for a group buy, what will you charge to ship all of the moulds to him?

In my case it's cheaper and faster if i send it

11. Do you require any specific type of drawing for the design? Any particular program file required?

any kind will do - scaned hand sketch, dxf, step, iges, parasolid.....

12. What are your allowable tolerances from the drawing specifications?

I'm trying to do specified tolerances - i personal try to cast in test mold and correct if necessary.

13. Are there any type or size or length of bullet designs you won’t or cannot do? EX. Loverin, 69 cal, etc….

Hard to tell this right now. First i must see drawing of boolit

Any of this or all of this may or not be covered on your web pages. If you need help setting one up, let me know and something will be arranged.

I will also post this kind of information on my web page

www.mp-molds.com

web page will develop as we go

Made in U.S.A.

NOE Bullet Moulds.

Questions

We offer 1 through 5 cavities at this time.

2. What do you charge for 1 cav mold? (Plain base or GC, just
    not hollow pointed)
    Our 1 Cavity mould price is $68.00.

A. 2C $72.00
    B. 3C $79.00
    C. 4C $85.00
    D. 5C $92.00
    E. 6C NA
    F. 7C NA
    G. 8C NA

Yes

$35.00

Yes if the bullet is designed for it. If the bullet is not
    designed for it you will get a long base band.

No cost.

Not offered

8. Is there a minimum number of moulds that need to be
    ordered from you before you will run them?
    Our minimum order is 15 moulds and we cover the
    tooling cost. We can offer smaller minimums but have
    to add in tooling costs.

9. If the minimum number is different per the type of
    mould requested please detail what the differences
    and minimums are.
    None

10. If all the moulds from one group buy were sent to
    one person what would you charge for shipping? For
    example one person orders the minimum number of
    moulds for a group buy, what will you charge to ship
    all of the moulds to him?
    We cover the shipping to Honchos.

11. Do you require any specific type of drawing for
    the design? Any particular program file required?
    No - we can work with about any format or
    drawing. You may call to verify.

12. What are your allowable tolerances from the
    drawing specifications?
    Our diameter tolerance is -.0000 +.0015 but we try to hold
    -.0000 +.0005. (This can and will very with your lead mix)
    We cut cavities in a test mould then cast with it to verify
    our dimensions

13. Are there any type or size or length of bullet designs
    you won’t or cannot do? EX. Loverin, 69 cal, etc….
    We are steal finding out our limitation, but are up to
    trying just about any thing. We are running a Loverin
    type bullet and hope to try a .224 in the near future.

Thank you for your interest in NOE
    And we hope to be your mold maker of choice in the future.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

On Heaven's Range

This is an informational sticky, but I hope a comment will not be taken amiss.

I TRULY wish Swede and NOE the very best of fortune with this endeavor. It is past time that we had a RESPONSIVE outfit which tries hard to meet the specs that the customer wants or needs.

For decades, we casters have been struggling to "make do" with whatever the manufacturers have seen fit to provide. This has led to such efforts as beagling and lapping of moulds, in the pious anticipation of improving the final product...mostly by making the bullets BIGGER. Now, we have someone who is listening to us.

Personally, I have thrown my support into the mix by getting into the group buy for the 311284 run, and I will be an EXCEEDINGLY happy camper if the bullets cast at the specified dimensions. A four-cavity 284....what a wonderful tool that is going to be!

As this venture matures, let's all try to help them along the way. This means BUYING an NOE mould or three, and giving them the feedback they will need. The prices are reasonable, and the variety of options is considerable.

Go for it, Swede.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Bruce
    I will only say that Swede has truly worked very hard to get to this point and I as a honcho will do all I can to see that it works for him.
    I have one offering right now 311316 that is running that has been a real hair puller of sorts but we got it done and now it can be purchased and it came out like everyone wanted with a .314 diameter.
    Swede I hope we can truly bury you in business
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Would it be possible, and would anyone be interested in purchasing a double cavity Lyman sabot-type mold?

I am not sure if there is a patent on a "pellet on crack" double cavity mold...but if there in not, would anyone be interested if somone could make one?

In Christ: Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
    Would it be possible, and would anyone be interested in purchasing a double cavity Lyman sabot-type mold?

I am not sure if there is a patent on a "pellet on crack" double cavity mold...but if there in not, would anyone be interested if someone could make one?

I believe the Lyman wad-slug mold has been out for 20+ years. If it’s at least 20+ years old then even if there was a patent to begin with its time has run out. I don't know for sure on whether the Lyman wad-slug mold has been out 20+ but I am sure on the 20 year patent time line thing.

I do know that Lee applied for a patent on their slug and they got denied, there is a very informative thread about that in the casting for shotgun section. Since the "drive key" feature of the Lee slug makes it considerably more unique compared to the Lyman slug and they got denied for patent I would think Lyman would as well if they even bothered to apply especially since it is only a larger size air gun pellet shape. If they do have a patent and it is less then 20 years old then there are at least two companies who have already successfully violated that patent without any problems. Namely, Rapine Molds and Northwest Custom Projectile the former had a mold very similar too the Lyman mold and the latter sells a ready to use slug which is very close to the same thing. With patents close does count just like with horse shoes and hand grenades.

Safest thing to do would be to call or e-mail Lyman and ask for the patent # on their wad-slug mold just like tommygirlMT did with Lee about their slug. I was already planning to have some scaled up and down versions for other gauge sizes both for inside the wad type slugs and full bore diameter slugs some time in the future when my financial situation gets better. Didn’t even think about any patent issues; probably worth an e-mail or phone call to be on the safe side.

As far as doing two cavities - I say do as many cavities as you can get to fit in the block. Depending on who you had do the mold you might be able to get more then two cavities in there especially with attached HB pins like NOE molds uses for their multi-cavity all cavities HP molds.

Basically I say go for it - I won’t be able to commit at this time due to finances but I do have some blue-prints that are basically a reverse engineering of the Lyman 525gr. 12ga. Wad-Slug mold and then scaled up and down for wad-slug versions in 28ga., 20ga., 16ga., 12ga., & 10ga. and then full bore diameter versions for 410-bore, 28ga., 20ga., 16ga., 12ga., & 10ga. Personally I think only the 410-bore, 20ga., and maybe the 12ga. full bore size versions would be useful due to the fact you would need to fire them in guns with very little to no choke constriction. The fact that this particular slug shape does not shoot accurately from smooth bore guns at anything less then super-sonic velocity make the shear weight and size of a 10ga. full bore diameter version impractical as well even though cylinder bore and very light choke constriction models are fairly abundant in that gauge size as well.

Anyway long story short if you want me to send you a copy of my preliminary blue-prints as .jpg images then PM me your e-mail address RaymondMillbrae. They are too large and high resolution for me to attach them here.

Rambling,

Turbo1889,

thanks for your input.

But to be quite frank, I am not interested in making it myself. I just threw it out there, hoping there would be interest, and maybe SOMEONE ELSE would pick it up and run with it.

So long as the cost is not ridiculously stupid, I would definitely invest in this mold if it were offered.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post

I am not sure if there is a patent on a "pellet on crack" double cavity mold...but if there in not, would anyone be interested if somone could make one?

If you reposted this in the main discussion forum rather than on this sticky you might get more views and more interest.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Sorry about that.

I was reading this thread, and the thought came to mind.

As a matter of fact, I did start another thread on this very topic.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE TOPIC

If one of the moderators feels like doing some house cleaning posts #6 through #11 on this thread could probably go away now. There is a dedicated thread up about this off topic tangent now in the correct location. I certainly don't mind on my part.

Boolit Buddy

question for the mold makers

Why dont we see more nose pour molds? Especially for all the flat points we are seeing. Wouldnt the nose pour make a softer nose? Only thing is we cant hollow point them in the casting process. Are there any other reasons?

But we do have a fixture for drilling the hollow point.