Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 or 650?

Boolit Bub

Dillon 550 or 650?

I have a NIB Dillon 550 setting in my garage that I haven't opened yet but now I'm beginning to question myself. Should I get the 650 instead and sell the 550? I could probably get back close to what I paid for the 550 so I don't want to open it and then decide I want the 650. Help me out here.

Moderator Emeritus
    They are both great presses. If I could only have one, I would choose the 550.

The speed difference between it and the 650 really isn't too much. In addition, the 550 caliber conversions are quite a bit less expensive than the 650 conversions. The change over time is much quicker with the 550 also.

John

Boolit Master

Depends on how fast you want to load ammo, the 650 is auto index, the 550 manual.

I perfer the 550 myself, the manual indexing makes me go slower and look a little closer.

YMMV
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Bub
    Is it impossible to double charge a round with the 650?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich219 View Post
    Is it impossible to double charge a round with the 650?
    Not impossible, but with auto index and the powder checker it would be more difficult to do.

Boolit Buddy

Have 2-550's in operation...

They are plenty fast for my reloading demands. Unless you are loading Fast burning powders that a case will actually hold a [double charge] , that isn't a real big problem on the 550 model. Some have spoken 'Ill" of the primer feed sys on the 650, don't have one so can't comment on that. As others have mentioned above , cheaper to add new cartridge changes on the 550. If I were in your Shoes, would open the 550 box & go forward with it. My 2’. Russ.

Boolit Bub
    How reliable are the casefeeders for the 550s? This was one of the major attractions to the 650 for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Been reloading on a 550 since 1988 and have no conplaints about Speed, manual case feeding, manual advancing, manual bullet placement, or even manual handle pulling.
    But then I drive a manual 5 speed auto and kick start my 1971 BMW motorcycle. I like the hands on approach to life.
    With my extra primer tubes full and waiting and a good supply of brass and boolits I can easily load 600 41 mag rounds in an hour.... unless the second baseman boots the ball out into shallow right. Tall Rifle cartriges slow me down to about 500 an hour as I value my finger tips attached.
    Only had a powder measure break some little gizmo (replaced) and the primer flat on the press wear out (new steel base supplied) so far. I like my 550!
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two 550's. One stays set up in large primer, one in small primer. As others have stated, cost of caliber change and faster time in set up sold me on the 550. Plus the slightly less cost of machine and accessories allowed me to have two presses, and now primer change out time totally done away with. Very pleased with speed and versatility of 550, but I load for over 20 different rifle or pistol calibers / cases. Have not invested in a case feeder, but unless you are planning on having to load a LOT of the same caliber ammo VERY fast, the 550 gets my vote.

I've only had my 550b for a short while and only have 6 conversions, but can say it's the best press I've owned. Plus it's my first progressive, and after getting it set up and running I have to say it's as smooth as silk. I'm sure the 650 is the same way but didn't feel that I needed it for the cost difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resized 11.JPG  
    NRA Life Member

I also have two of the 550B's and feel I have the best set ups there are. I have owned a 550 since 1986 or so and have no complaints. A friend of mine has the 650 and likes it also. I am not at all jealous or envious. My only complaint is that I have to go shoot before I can find empty brass to reload or r&d with. I might add that I load for numerous rifle and handgun calibers. Keep the 550. You will be glad you did.

I bought a 650,but if I had a 550 waiting for me in the garage I'd get busy on it. As far as I know the 550 casefeeder only works with pistol cases. The 650 will handle rifle or handgun cases,but you have to swap out the plates in it depending on what you are reloading. Primer feeding will always be an issue I think,as it's the smallest component to handle,and therefore the easiest to get out of line.

Boolit Master

Grandsrus was right on.

i have owned a 550 since they came out.i have used a friends also,and his 650;i LOVE the 550 and load many cals.it works!

NOTHING BROKEN? DONT FIX IT ON A MABE!

MY 3cents (inflation you know)

Banned

i knew about the dillons before i bought my own.
    i went in half on a 650 and a 550 with my dad.
    when i moved too far away to use them, i saved up and bought a 550 followed by another 550.
    they are fast enough for me course i still use a couple of rockchuckers too.
    if you want speed look elsewhere for it, like in brass prep and primer tube filling.
    get that 550 ooooout and go.

Boolit Master
    I have one of each. The 550 is easier to make caliber changes and offers a little more control over what you're doing. The automated advance on the 650 can get you into trouble if you don't pay attention. The case feeder on the 650 is very helpful, don't have one on the 550. I would suggest you determine what kind of volume you'll be doing. If you shoot a lot of matches and have to keep ahead of the powder burning maybe consider the 650. If you load occasionally with many different calibers the 550 is really nice. After a while you don't even think about setting the brass or manually indexing the shellholder. A number of years ago I was shooting a LOT of IPSC, PPC, highpower, USPSA and 3-gun matches, to the tune of 62K rounds a year. I loaded them all on the 550 as it was all I had at the time. I still prefer the 550 over the 650 for it's simplicity. With the 650 you have to have a good concept of how things work. If you're new to loading stick with the 550 hands down. I've heard of a lot of people getting frustrated with 650's due to that complexity.

With whatever you choose to do, you'll be glad you chose Dillon. Good luck.

TH

Boolit Master

I would open it up. If you change your mind you'll still get close to what you paid unopened
    or lightly used. I think you will wind up keeping. Either way your gonna have top notch machine. FB

Boolit Bub
    I think I'll keep the 550 and buy a Giraud trimmer with the money I would of spent on getting the 650.

Boolit Master

Now thats my kinda thinking.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 550 has served me well for almost 20 years now. I don't need anything else.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

Giraud Trimmer, Excellent Idea& Choice...

In addition to 2-550's ,I also have the Giraud Trimmer. Rolls Royce of trimmers. You will be very pleased with it also. My 2’. Russ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast