WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion?

Boolit Grand Master

Your opinion?

I work at a fast food restaurant. I showed up at 4:25 this AM and pulled in behind another lady that works there. We have to wait across the street until the mgr. shows up. The mgr. arrived, pulled up next to the other lady's car and spoke to her through the window. They both started across the street and I followed. I backed into my favorite slot and they pulled up in front of the east door with their vehicles still running and their lights on. I got out, crossed the parking lot and met them at the door. The mgr. said "y'all wait here a minute" , unlocked the door and went in. All this was very unusual so I asked the other lady "What's going on?" She said "The security co. called and said the alarm went off". I immediately went on point. There are three doors and she never looked at the other two. The mgr. returned, opened the door and said "Y'all come on in". The other lady said "Did you check the restrooms?" "No, hold on." She went back in, checked the restrooms, returned and said "OK, y'all come on in".

Then the mgr. told me "This is the proper procedure for this. Everybody pulls up in front of the door with their lights on while the mgr. checks everything out and then we all park our cars after everything is checked out".

I thought that was a d@mn foolish thing to do. If there realy was someone, possibly an armed robber, in the bldg., she could have gotten herself shot or taken hostage. I could have gotten shot in the process of him trying to escape. Remember, I am not allowed to carry at work, so I'm unarmed. If this happens again, I'm going back to my truck and wait behind it 'till it's all over. My life is worth more than $7 an hour.

Your opinion?

I agree with you 100%, very stupid policy.
    Best motorcycle forum on the net.
    http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/index.php

Boolit Master

Jim,

Let them play the fool if they choose since they have a "no carry / I'll be a victim" policy. The MGR has not a clue about how to clear a building and that is unsafe for both the MGR and employees as a hidden intruder can create all sorts of danger. Better to let LEO's sweep the building if possible before entry.

Meanwhile,I'll sit in the truck too.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    I can't figure why the security company would call the mgr., if that is how it went. Around here, the alarm co. calls 911, LE shows up, is let in by keyholder, and does the clearing.

If it was me, I might like to have a look at that "procedure" in writing.

I'll agree as well that the policy is insane. Also, if the "intruder" is still inside, aside from the ability to cause all kinds of headaches there, there is a nice getaway car waiting for him just outside of the door. Chances are, the engine is running as well so the battery doesn't die with the lights on.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    If someone asked me to walk into a possibly "hostile" building with nothing in my pockets but my putz; .......I would strongly suggest a "re-think"!!!

If they still insisted, .......I would wish them well, and go sit in my truck! I have "walked point" too many times to not understand the risks involved!

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master
    Worker bees don't get paid enough for room clearing ops unless they are military or cops (and even they don't get paid enough), in a combat zone, have a loaded automatic weapon (grenades, etc) and know how to operate it with a team, and rools of engagement allow not only self defense but neutralization of threat. IOW, let the manager do his/her thang. YOU are under no obligation.

Boolit Buddy
    wow that is 100% stupid. I'm glad no one was hurt.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Grand Master
    What Sundog (and others) said.

After seeing how generally useless that much of the security video arrangements are in most retail establishments, it became obvious to me that security wonks are NOT very concerned with either employee safety or the gathering of evidence for criminal trials. No, what those videos are best at is surveilling employee activities to monitor cash skimming--gather evidence (or the lack thereof) for worker's comp claims--and to monitor/document employee work effort/output. Invariably, facial details of a robber are out of focus, while the open cash drawer is PERFECTLY CLEAR.

Sorry for the reality check, but most retailers don't give a rip about employee safety or crime prevention/dissuasion. It's all about relative cash loss size--and to the corporate world, a $30 till-tap is MUCH worse than a $30 robbery loss.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    btw, it's the lousy punk that get's a stoopid lucky break on his part that gets you hurt. Ain't worth it. And do you think that company you work for (or their insurance company) is gonna take care of you the rest of your life if you get hurt and can no longer fend for yourself and your family?

Boolit Grand Master

It is still a free country (I know, I know, let me rephrase that; It's still the freeist country in the world) and you still have some choices. First is you don't have to work there, you can quit and perhaps get another job somewhere else. If your economic situations preclude that then you still have choices. If you have a CCW then you have the right to carry and then leave the gun in your vehicle while at work. Then while sitting in your vehicle under such circumstances you can still defend yourself. I would caution against being proactive (such as assisting in the search or even standing outside of your car on company peroperty with the CCW) with the CCW under such circumstances and would advise staying in the car and only defending yourself. Another choice is to attempt to reason or educate the manager on proper or at least alternate proceddures that may be safer though I doubt she would listen. And of course you have the choice to just go along with it as is and hope for the best. Your choice boils down to whether you choose to be a victim or not.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus

I would have stayed in my truck, pistol in my lap, safety on.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

In Remembrance
    Next time (after a convesation between the manager and 'somebody' that isn't you) you see folks pull up at the front door with the headlights on...that is your cue to stay in your truck. If you were needed in the 'headlight line', you would have received instructions...like the other lady did.

Maybe those two women are bulletproof, immortal, or kung-fu masters who can dodge bullets.
    If your presence isn't requested...don't make yourself a target.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

I can't believe how totally stupid that Mgr was or did she/he think they were more and better trained than a LEO. I would not have gone near the place without a LEO walk through. We have MS13 to deal with out here and they play for keeps.
    I would have stayed in my truck and out of sight and waited for the LEO's to do their job. What kind of security calls the manager and not the LEO's?
    I don't care what you are being paid you only get one life and to play stupid just doesn't make sense. We just had a cashier get killed last saturday for no other reason than she was behind the cash register.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Why is a guy with your smarts working in a fast food joint for $7 an hour?

Boolit Master
    Here's the drill in LA: After two false alarms the "Man" charges you for showing up!

Here they bill the security company not the end user as the security company places the alarm call. It's up to the security company to re coup the fee from his customer! This is way the boss gets the call, and my boss has, and not the local LEO's.

In your case I would have a long talk with your manager about the one time the cat or mouse doesn't set off the motion sensors and she finds herself in a way tough spot.

Granted the "company" won't give an inch on security needs, it cuts into the bottom line, but she needs to be aware that her family won't get squat because she most likely signed off her right to sue ( the companies like to self "arbritrate" these settlements) when she accepted the "promotion" to manager.

If this doesn't wake her up you might inform her she can be glad she doesn't work with me because the next 4:30 AM "alarm" call might tempt me to do something stupid with a fire kracker!

Boolit Master

heavy metal
    Only one firecracker? I would use at least 6 so she got the full effect of being stupid
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    Everybody above has the right take on the incredibly stupid policy that puts you at risk with no thought of likely consequences. Fast food pencil pushers (aside from those with other experiences in life) have no idea how to clear a building safely. Sadly, most LEO's don't do it very well either, but at least they have a radio, flashlight & a gun. Fodder for long discusions, I'm sure, but what about your liability IF you survive a confrontation with a bad guy? Your job description, I would assume, does not include suspect confrontation, arrest protocols, strength or pain control of an adversary, and on and on, .......... You step to the plate and punch some burglar out for non-compliance to your citizens arrest, under the color of being an employee of "BIG & BOUNCY BURGERS", and you could very easily find yourself in a law suit that you will lose. You stepped outside the job description of hamburger flipping and did stuff you never had training in. "BIG & BOUNCY BURGERS" will cut you loose to protect the corporate coffers. You'll be on your own. CCW permits are for your protection only, not a chance to become Magnum PI. Sit in the truck and give 911 a cell phone blow by blow of the suspect's escape.

Boolit Master

Jim,
    You are under no obligation to put yourself at risk to protect your employer's property or your supervisor's hide.
    He might as well be asking you to go inside with a lit candle to check for gas leaks.
    Drive away and circle the block until the cars are parked and the headlights are off.

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    Jr.,
    I've got arthritis in my knees and elbows and can't fit or weld anymore. Besides, that's all there is to do in this one horse town.

Gentlemen,
    Thank you all for your responses and encouragement. I have no plans to participate in a Chuck Norris wannabe clearing. I'll leave that to Johhny Blue. He's got back up and a vest.

What really torqued me was her not telling me what she intended to do until AFTER the fact. And this woman's 62 years old, for cryin' out loud! Can you say stupid?

As for this job, believe you me, I'm lookin' regular. I'll find something decent and when I do, I'll ask her if she knows who Johhny Paycheck is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast