Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homemade for you bottom pour fans!

homemade for you bottom pour fans!

Here is a project that I've been working on. A homemade bottom pour casting pot made from all scrap parts. I'm going to use a dimmer control that I installed a heavier current capable triac in to handle the wattage of the element I'm using. The valve was the easy part. I just drilled a hole in a bolt and mounted it in the bottom of the pot. I ground a long bolt to a tapered point to use for the stopper. I tested it with water and it does stop the flow so I guess it will work with lead too.

...and yes, I know the first thing most of you will say is that "the pour spout is too far under the unit and not close enough to the front". Well what can I say, design flaw on my part. I'm just the Sears repairman, not an engineer! (thank God)

I still have to install the element & control parts and design some kind of flow control & handle for the valve.

Will let you all know when I get it finished and how it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1460.jpg   100_1462.jpg   100_1463.jpg   100_1465.jpg  
    Take care, Moptop

Boolit Mold
    looks good , keep us posted on how it works and what you are using for heating element

Impressive lookin' Rig Mop Top. Wouldn't be long before you get some orders coming in. It would be good to see in action.
    Lead foot;

Moderator Emeritus
    Looks good.

Centre pour will only be a problem if the reach under the pot is too long for the handles methinks.

Looking forward to a detailed "how to".

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Thanks all for the input everyone. Yes, I realized I should have put the pour spout closer to the front but I already had the hole drilled and the valve mounted before I started putting it together. I wanted to see if I could make a working valve before I continued with the rest of it. I guess R & D is not one of my strong points!
    Last edited by moptop; 06-21-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: change text
    Take care, Moptop

Boolit Master

But the NEXT one you make will have the spout nearer the front, I'll wager.

And when you start making them for your chums here on the web site, you will be serving some of the finest folk anywhere.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

look at the lee 10 lb pot for a linkage to sorta kinda copy

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it looks a little crowded underneath but it should be easier to stand it up a little taller. Just use longer studs, right? Nice job.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Ain't too late to drill another hole and plug the old one.

Boolit Buddy
    Arrange for more weight to bear on that valve rod. Steel may sink in water so it sealed ok in your test, but steel FLOATS in lead so you need a weight out of the lead to get that valve to close.

Boolit Master
    is that a stainless bowl? they are known to fail after a while.

bowl failure

is that a stainless bowl? they are known to fail after a while.
    Quasi, yes, it's a stainless mixing bowl. I'm not too worried about it. The one that I'm currently using is also made with a stainless bowl and its been chugging along for the over a year now with no signs of any problems.

If you look hard enough you'll find as many folks who say it's okay to use as you will ones who say not to... and that's okay. Everyone is entitled to there opinion on how they operate. I've learned a little patients and common sense goes a long way in this hobby. I even use an aluminium pot to "smelt" in, which by some folks standards is a "cardinal sin" but I've never had any problem, probibly becasue I make sure the bottom is well supported and I don't over load it.
    Last edited by moptop; 06-22-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Take care, Moptop

Boolit Master

Only big Issue I see,
    The spout is too thin.
    Make the spout real thick. That way it will hold the heat better through the pour. You could thread a thick nut on it. Just to add as an heat sinc, and buffer.
    Looks good so far.

Boolit Master

If he moves the spout farther forward the spout will aim forward and not straight down.

Quote Originally Posted by moptop View Post
    Quasi, yes, it's a stainless mixing bowl. I'm not too worried about it. The one that I'm currently using is also made with a stainless bowl and its been chugging along for the over a year now with no signs of any problems.

If you look hard enough you'll find as many folks who say it's okay to use as you will ones who say not to... and that's okay. Everyone is entitled to there opinion on how they operate. I've learned a little patients and common sense goes a long way in this hobby. I even use an aluminium pot to "smelt" in, which by some folks standards is a "cardinal sin" but I've never had any problem, probibly becasue I make sure the bottom is well supported and I don't over load it.
    I was using a stainless steel stockpot and it worked great for over a year but the repeated heating/cooling cycle seems to have crystallized the steel and weakened it.
    The last time I went to use it, it started leaking as soon as it started melting.
    Take a look at these pics.

More pictures.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryngyl View Post
    More pictures.

You must not care to much for the finish of your car to lay that on the hood like that?
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice Polara wagon in the background.

Don't see to many of those around these days.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

ss comes in several grades that pot looks like the cheap ones you find at discount stores buy three stock pots for 9.95
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

There are heat resistant stainless steel out there. Mixing boals are not made from them. I wouldn't use stainless over a flame.

The problem with using aluminium as a smelting pot is that should it over heat, it will fail catastrophically and drop molten lead all over your stove or burner!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast