Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 459122 Cramer HP

Boolit Buddy

Mihec 459122 Cramer HP

Anyone else here interested in having Mihec make a brass 2 cavity Cramer HP mold? Say with a .460 as cast diameter with WW. Maybe even a little heavier, like 350gr. I'd like to stick with the plain base. Just to avoid the GCs. 1300-1400 fps is plenty with this bullet for whitetail and black bear.

Boolit Buddy
    32 views and no replies, interesting.

OK , 1 reply, I would like a Mihec brass 2 cavity mold Cramer HP/solid , say 330gr HP, 345-50 solid, but I would like a GC , I run mine a bit faster than you are suggesting. I use the Ranch Dog 350gr quite a bit , but would love to have one of Mihec's Cramer design HP's.

So I guess my reply is not what you would like to hear.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Buddy
    If there are enough people to interest Mihec, I'd go along with a GC mold.
    Slow Elk, are you planning on WQWWs or something else?
    I'm sure if this ever gets going there will be a lot a different ideas on how this could be made better.

Boolit Master

Like the Gould boolit?

Quote Originally Posted by Rico1950 View Post
    Anyone else here interested in having Mihec make a brass 2 cavity Cramer HP mold? Say with a .460 as cast diameter with WW. Maybe even a little heavier, like 350gr. I'd like to stick with the plain base. Just to avoid the GCs. 1300-1400 fps is plenty with this bullet for whitetail and black bear.
    Sounds like you want a 2 cavity mould for the Gould Boolit. That would be a good idea.

If it is the Gould (457122), just oversize, I could be interested. I have a single cavity and it is slow. I don't need a lot of them but I am impatient.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I would be interested, especially if it is .461 or so.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Elk 45/70 View Post
    OK , 1 reply, I would like a Mihec brass 2 cavity mold Cramer HP/solid , say 330gr HP, 345-50 solid, but I would like a GC , I run mine a bit faster than you are suggesting. I use the Ranch Dog 350gr quite a bit , but would love to have one of Mihec's Cramer design HP's.

So I guess my reply is not what you would like to hear.
    +1 on the 350 solid/ 330 HP with gas check. If it goes with these specs or something a little heavier (up to 400 solid) I'm in for one.

Boolit Buddy
    The Gould bullet is a fine hunting bullet, if the diameter cast is what you need, although slow to cast. That's why the idea of a Cramer DC HP came to mind. A lot faster to cast. Weight, diameter and possibly gas check are all considerations.
    If you change the velocity range the Gould was designed for, your going to have to change the HP cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico1950 View Post
    If there are enough people to interest Mihec, I'd go along with a GC mold.
    Slow Elk, are you planning on WQWWs or something else?
    I'm sure if this ever gets going there will be a lot a different ideas on how this could be made better.

Hullo, yes I use wheel weights and water drop them , unless I want a softer boolit, then I use air cooled WW. If that is your question. I would vote for the molds to be made to drop .461 or .462 , easy enough to size down if necessary, most 45/70's that I have slugged are .459 or larger....just my humble opinion.

As for the Gould Boolit design, it is OK, or we could spin off RD's 350gr, it is also a good design. Miha will make a nose pin anyway you want, he just needs a design to work from.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Boolit Master
    how would this bullet be? what about a 5 cav in a 6 cav block , to even out the heat by putting the bullets a little fother apart. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31011

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Something to look at:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 457122 Clone.JPG  

Boolit Master
    I like RICO1950's original plan. Essentially a .460 Gould bullet with a little extra weight. It should be a great hunting bullet in my Sharps, Marlins, and Winchesters. I do not see the need for gas checks on this bullet! Perhaps a HP version with a HP cavity larger than Lymans original at 350 grains or less and a solid version over 375 grains.

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

YES , 45 2.1 has it already, 462640, his earlier boolit design with Hollow Point in a cramer design would give us the +- 350 solid and about 330 HP.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Boolit Buddy
    Miha could make with it with reversible pins, right?
    Two cavity or more is fine with me. I would like it in brass though.
    As far as a GC, I don't really need it, but if this goes to a GB, I'll take a GC design.

Boolit Buddy
    I am in with or without gas check.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

Another option in the 640 style:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 462-355-HP.JPG  

Boolit Master
    If we could increase the size/length of grease grooves just a little so it would hold a little more lube, that would make it a real interesting black powder hunting bullet probably weighing around 350 as a HP and 375 as a solid. It would also be a great smokeless powder bullet kinda like a Lyman 457193 lightweight HP. Whatever happens, I like the way this is heading and am certainly interested!

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master
    Plain base, .459-.460 is good for me. Increasing the size/length of grease grooves just a little would be a plus.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Again, something else to look at more in line with your wants:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 462-374-HP.JPG  

Boolit Master
    I LIKE IT! Thanks 45 2.1! Now even if a gas check was deemed necessary for the basic design, those of us that wanted could order it without for a plain base. It should be a great all around 45 rifle bullet.

Now all we need is enough interested people to get it moving..... Suppose there's any chance of that?

Ward

Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast