Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee Hollow Point Mould

Lee Hollow Point Mould

Howdy,

I was looking through a reloading book published in the 90s. There was a picture of a single-cavity Lee mould with a "Fixed Hollow Point Plug" or something like that. I looked through my Lee Catalog, but couldn't find anything like that.

Anyone know anything about those?

Boolit Master

Lee Hollow point molds have a captive pin

All the Lee hollow point molds I have seen have a captive hollow pointing pin rather like the shotgun slug mold shown on this page:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../blackpow.html

They had some single cavity hollow point molds on their Surplus page a little while ago, but I don't see them there now.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/surplus.html

Christopher Dingell

Boolit Grand Master

I got one of the last .357 hollow point molds off their surplus page last year. I wish they'd make them again!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I had one for my RUGER OLD ARMY. Not bad, still wish I kept botht he mold and handgun.

Jerry
    Pigrim, are you sure you know how to skin grizzer bear....

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....

Boolit Master
    I have one in 357/8. did not know they stopped production of them!

I have two, the .358 158grswc and the .452 228 1R. The first is my favorite for ,357 small game loads, and the second I cast in pur and use in sabots in my .54 cal M/L. They are slow, but they do cast some great boolits. It's a shame they have stopped making them.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master
    Lee 457-405-HP is the last HP left in the catalog.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master
    Leftoverdj
    I do believe the 457-405 is a HB or hollow base bullet. It's the Lee reproduction of the original bullet for the 45-70. There aren't any hollowpoints left in Lee moulds.
    Jerry

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two of the Lee hollowpoint molds, and one Lyman. The Lee system is much easier and faster to use. I also was unaware they quit making them.

I didn't realize they stopped making them either. Time to scour the earth for one now.

I have one for the .45acp. Casts a 200 gr boolit. Didn't work worth a darn in my .45acp but will try it in my ,45 Colt. If results are disappointing I'll list it here.

Take Care
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Dang it!

I have the current Lee catalogue beside my bed along with a selection of the latest gunmags or book/s I am reading and the Lee catalogue gets looked at every couple of nights and I pour over the moulds page, every time I pick it up.

I'm sure they sell lots off this catalogue. I know I have bought a few, but I can't imagine why I haven't bought any HPs.

I know the guy that imports them, I must give hime a ring come Monday (ay late and a dollar short).
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I also have this page saved n my computer at work, I'm a sick man.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Talking Lee .451 RNHP Mold

I scored one off E-Bay a few weeks ago. With WW it throws a 204-208 gr Bullet and is fairly accurate at 10 yards on paper and steel plates and bowling pins hung on a cord. The HOLLOW POINT HOLE is kindy narrow and shallow so I must try and see what it does expansion wise on a soaked phone book as compared to a Fed Hyrda Shok etc.
    Dan
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    I once had a Lee HP in .44 cal. Cast well for a short time and then, all at once, it started throwing boolits that were .006 OOR. (I've had this same problem with a few Lee moulds, as well as one NEI aluminum two holer.) The hollow point Lee often had the one side, or the other "hang up" when the mould blocks were being opened. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that Lee took them off the market, doesn't surprise me at all. IE. don't fret if you can't find one; "you ain't missin' nuthin'"
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I'll chime in with a Lee .58 cal hollow base "minie ball" mould I have. It works great and the lack of a "plug" makes it a lot faster to handle than conventional HP types....

Dennis
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; 04-19-2006 at 12:22 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Some years back, I shot a ton of the .38 150 SWC HP's. They actually come out at 142 gr. nominal using WW's. The 150 gr. designation is the wt. of the solid point version. It was a very good bullet, and when driven hard in .357's, would expand sorta' similar to a Nosler Partition. The nose would expand and break off, then go their own merry way, and created secondary wound channels. In warmish .38's, it'd expand enough to matter. Put a little tin in the mix and it'd hold together better.

Also shot many .452-190-SWC HP's, but those never opened. The HP pins are apparently all made the same, and that short 190 .45 bullet was left with only a moderate dimple in the nose from the HP pin. Couldn't tell any advantage over the solid pt. SWC version. Again, that was with WW's. Don't believe I ever tried a softer mix, but I doubt expansion would have ever been very dramatic, or even substantial with that shallow a HP.

BTW, I recently found some HP moulds at wideners.com, if any of you want to check them out. I got another of the .358-150-SWC HP's, and a .457-340-HP. Haven't had the chance to cast any 340 HP's yet, but will report when I do.

IIRC, they also had the C358-158-SWC HP and the C429-240-HP listed, but none in stock when I got there. Maybe if any of you want one, there'll be one or two left???

Boolit Bub
    ive got 1 !!!!! its a c429-240-sw... i made some up for a buddy and he liked them ... used with a gas check they are hard hitting .....ive had it for about 30 years and it still works good. now if you want to talk about a nasty bullet to make , that 250 gr lyman hp... man is that a waste of time ... i melt down more than i have made...

Boolit Mold
    I am looking at a 429 hollowpoint Lee single mold. Can anyone tell me if that mold is a gas check base?

Moderator Emeritus

Yep. I have had a few but always felt NOE had a better system.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze