WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September. . . that's the word according to

SInce that last primer shortage, I have always maintained a 10K min. mixed primers for my reloading. I imagine after this one, others will too. SO the demnad will continue. That's pretty optimistic IMO. I just got my completed B.O. of 10K primers from Graf's ordered the end of March. It is going to take manuf. until Sept. just to fill B.O. I see this continuing until the end of the year. As long as the current ragtag admin. in DC doesn't throw out some antigun leg. That could fuel the stockpiling further, maybe to the 2010 elections.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    If it is September, or even January, I'm set. Otherwise I see myself having trouble by this time next year.

If the current shortage/backorder situation is caused by a massive buying rush, how will know in September when this buying rush ends and the next one starts? What will be the difference?

This whole thing has MANY interwoven causes, all of which have been discussed to death. The shortage will end when the panic ends, pure and simple. Some of the demand will go away as orders are indeed filled. More will disappear when lots of new reloaders simply give up trying to get stuff.

Things may never get back to the way they were, though.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    The shortage will end when the panic ends, pure and simple.
    Or, the panic will end when the shortage ends, pure and simple.

Things may never get back to the way they were, though.
    I'm afraid you're 100% correct there.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Or, the panic will end when the shortage ends, pure and simple.

I'm afraid you're 100% correct there.

No, I think we'll be fine after this all settles down. It did in 93-94, it will again. You can only spend so much on stuff you don't over buying of ammo & components. I just won't be so optimistic that it will be anytime before the end of the year.

In Remembrance

I think

I may have posted on this earlier.
    I am recovering from the gunshow on Saturday and Sunday. Bought nothing.
    One vendor had 9mm hollow point jacketed bullets priced at $27.50 per hundred.
    Last week I bought Winchester white box bulk pack 9mm ammo which includes bullets for $19.97 per hundred. My point is, don't get too panicky in your buying, shop around.
    I have great friends and contacts that, so far, have kept me supplied with components. I hope that I can regulate my stash to ride out the shortages.

Life is good

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    This is what happened after the last shortage during the first gulf war.

I'm firmly of the opinion that it had nothing to do with the gulf war, in the same vein that the current shortage has nothing to do with the gulf war.
    We've been involved in continuous combat for almost 8 years, but didn't have a primer shortage until the last 8 months. The first shortage occured during the Clinton administration. Pure and simple, the increased demand is driven by the civilian sector reading the political winds of Washington.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    This was asked in the Technical Q&A section of July's American Rifleman. For those of you that aren't members, I'll pass a little along.

"...it appears to be a simple problem with supply and demand, with demand reaching record levels and far exceeding supply and production capacity of both primers and ammunition."

"Military demand is up with some makers, but not radically so if compared with 2007 and 2008."

"Production has been expanded everywhere possible, but conservatively. Major firms have been hesitant to purchase new, previously unplanned tooling or add permanent employees out of uncertainty over future legislative issues...."

"...it's difficult, if not impossible, to quickly and radically increase primer production due to the nature of primer manufacturing."

"The surging demand for .380 ACP caught forecasters at the ammunition companies flat-footed."

"How deep is the current demand for ammunition and primers, and how long will it last? No one knows."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12