RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Underground Powder Storage

Inexpensive Underground Powder Storage

Having to abandon fighting a fire or having to tell responding firefighters that there is a large amount of powder in the house or workshop and then having them abandon fighting an otherwise extinguishable house fire because there is powder stored there and consequently lose everything, is a decision I had to make twice and I never want to have to make it again!

For several years now I have stored my powder deep below ground in order to keep it cool and safe from accidental ignition. At one time I used seven-foot deep storage wells dug with a power pole hole auger and lined with 8” corrugated plastic drainage pipe. Where I live now the ground is too rocky to easily excavate holes with my power pole auger, so I dug pits six feet deep with a skip loader tractor and buried stacks of seven or eight 18-wheeler truck tires in the pits. Truck tires are usually 22.5” or 24” rim size, which leaves a pretty big space down the middle of the stack when filled in with soil around them. Most tire stores will gladly give you unusable truck tires so they don't need to pay to dispose of them, but they will usually ask you what you are going to do with them to make sure they get disposed of properly since in a lot of places the tire stores have to account for all tires that get thrown out. I tell them that I use them for driving my bulldozer across paved roads (which I also use them for), which is standard operating procedure for driving Caterpillar bulldozers across paved streets. When filling in the soil around the tires they should be stacked up one-at-a-time and then the soil filled up to the top tire before adding another one to the stack. The tire on top needs to be securely clamped to the one beneath it with big C-clamps to prevent the dirt from pushing the tire off to the side and spoiling the alignment of the stack. It is a lot of work to dig up a tire once surrounded with soil in order to move it over if it gets offset, so clamping it to the tire beneath it in the stack to keep it in alignment is a good idea. The air space inside the tire bodies can be used for one pound powder cannisters if short pieces of 2x4s are inserted between the tire beads to hold them apart and then several water drainage holes cut into the tire walls, otherwise if water ever condenses inside it will collect and pool in the tire bodies. I leave the bottom of the hole open to the ground in case rain ever runs down inside so it will immediately soak into the ground. Soil is normally a bit damp, so the powder containers need to be water-tight plus have the powder designation, date, and lot number written on the container with Sharpie permanent marking pen in case the paper labels ever get damp and the ink runs, which I have had happen. My storage pits are not any worse than keeping powder in a basement since basements are usually a bit damp, too. I never keep my guns or tools in underground storage because they would immediately rust. Primers need to be kept in air-tight steel ammo boxes, if you do that make sure that the rubber lid seals are in good shape. If the water table is just a few feet below the surface where you are, then making a large above-ground mound will also work as long as the mound is big enough to block solar heat that builds up in the soil in the summer months. In the summer, soil temperature will usually reach 85°F at 18-inches depth, which is too hot for powder storage, so above ground mounds need to be substantial enough to provide adequate insulation from solar heat build-up in the soil.

On October 26th of 2003, a huge arson-caused brush fire swept through the area where I lived at the time and all the fire departments in Southern California were so overwhelmed by the whole southern part of the state going up in flames from arson I had to fight the fire myself in order to save my house. Even though I had 200-foot wide fire breaks all around my house and barn it was not enough to fend off the firestorm of burning tumbleweeds that rained down on me from miles around. As I was fighting the 60-mph wind-driven-inferno that was raging all around scorching the paint on my house, all I could think about was the two cases of surplus powder sitting in the normally cool dark storage closet in my work room. I was pondering at what point I should abandon fighting the fire that was burning the east end of my house and leave so as not to get burned to death by the sudden conflagration from 96 pounds of powder if it that part of the house where the powder was kept caught fire while I was around the other side out of view of what was going on there. I know that smokeless does not explode, but it does burn quite rapidly and generate a huge volume of red-hot gas one cannot outrun. Having to abandon fighting a fire or having to tell responding firefighters that there is a large amount of powder in the house or workshop and then having them abandon fighting an otherwise extinguishable house fire because there is powder stored there and consequently lose everything, is a decision I never want to have to make again! Fortunately, I was able to monitor the fire situation well enough to know that my powder stash was safe from outside ignition and I was able to save my house, but I did lose my barn that contained enough stuff to stock a mom & pop hardware store. That hurt! Storing my powder away from the house in a place where it will never, ever, be subject to ignition from an accidental fire in or near the house/workshop solves that problem.

Storing powder underground keeps the powder cool and in the dark, and immune to ignition from outside sources such as brush fires. Properly done without any metal by avoiding steel belted tires it is also immune to lightning strikes, and if you live in a place with a lot of lightning ground strikes or tornadoes, underground storage may be the answer. If you stocked up on a lifetime supply of inexpensive surplus powder while it was available, you can make sure it stays good for decades by storing it in a cool dark place. Another thing that may be quite important is not storing powder in the house or garage even if it is perfectly safe there since fire insurance policies may be voided by its presence in large amounts even though it has nothing to do with causing fires. Insurance companies are always looking for ways to get out of paying off on policies.

The biggest factor in long-life for powder is keeping it cool. A second important thing is keeping it in the dark since the blue-violet end of the visible light spectrum on up into the invisible ultraviolet light spectrum has enough energy to cause decomposition over time since the shorter wave-lengths of light carry the most molecule-damaging energy. Think of getting sun burned, or plastic shopping bags that fall apart when left out in the sunshine for a few days, or the light-sensitive adhesives used in dentistry that are rapidly set-up by intense blue light. When light and ultraviolet light photons run into the valence electrons that hold molecules together, the imparted energy released by the photons to the electrons breaks the molecular bonds created by the electrons and the powder molecules come apart, forming new highly reactive compounds that further tear apart more powder molecules. Heat does approximately the same thing by physically shaking the molecules apart, the higher the temperature the more violent the molecular shaking becomes. This is an over-simplification, but it covers the basics of how powder decomposes from these particular forces.

I have some Finnish 7.62x53R cartridges (7.62x53R is the Finn designation for the Russian 7.62x54R) that were loaded in 1939 by VPT using powder made in Nazi Germany. They are still okay after 70 years because for a good part of their life they were stored in Finland, which has a rather cold climate most of the year, and I have kept them stored cool ever since I bought them in 1964. Being kept cold is a good part of what is responsible for the powder remaining stable for such a long time. Other factors are using preservatives that neutralize the destructive decomposition products.

rl555
    Last edited by Linstrum; 06-24-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Cast Boolits Owner

Good post and great information.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Moderator Emeritus
    Linstrum,

Interesting idea... What do you cover the tires with?

John

Moderator Emeritus

I am not clear on a couple of things. Do you keep the powder in the tire cavities or stored on the ground in the space between the tires? Do you retrive it with ropes or reach?
    Covering the tires with a 4x8 sheet of plywood would help things I imagine. It makes me long for an old time walk in root cellar.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Photos

Hi, guys: I simply stacked up the tires in the pit and then filled the pit back in, carefully surrounding the tires with dirt. Since it doesn't rain much here I was not worried about water infiltration through the soil into the tire stack. Where it rains several feet per year the stack of tires could be wrapped in a few layers of 10-mil polyethylene tarp before putting the dirt back in the pit around the tires. If done that way, some method of keeping the stack of tires fastened together and lined up vertically like bolting them together with two or three pairs of 1/4” carriage bolts per tire would probably be necessary since the tires tend to slide off to the side quite easily when jostled. If that happens it would diminish the usability of the structure. It is a bit tedious to drill accurately-located holes in tires unless a real long drill is used to go through both side-walls of the tire at once. Holes need to be drilled in the side walls anyway to act as drains in the event that water ever gets inside the tire bodies, you know how hard it is to get water out of a tire! The top of the hole gets pretty hot if the sun can ever shine directly on its lid, so either 18” of soil needs to be put over it or doubled-up plastic trash bags full of R-19 roof/wall insulation placed down inside the top of the hole to block heat from radiating down into the bottom. The powder should not be put in the top two feet of the hole, more or less, since it gets the warmest there. That leaves about four feet of usable storage. I have a battery operated recording thermometer I keep in the powder storage at the highest level of powder in the hole and check it several times a year to make darned sure that the powder temperature never gets more than 80°F, preferable never more than 70°F. The temperature in the hole is very slow to change and if it gets above 80°F it will stay that hot for days before cooling back down, which is unacceptable for the powder to be “cooked” that long.

I cover the entrance with a 4'x4' piece of 1/2” fiberglass-reinforced concrete sheeting like is used for bathroom walls and flashing that goes around the outside of a house in contact with the ground, and then shovel some dirt on top to disguise it plus provide a bit of heat insulation at the top. On top of that I place a planter made from a cut-in-two whiskey barrel with just enough planting mix soil in it to support a few geraniums or some ivy to keep intruders from stepping directly on top of the lid and discovering it. Keep in mind that if the lid is where somebody can walk on it they could fall in if it broke! The covering method needs to be light enough to get off and back on easily and quickly, so the planter barrel needs to be light enough to roll off to the side. If you put the storage hole where no one will ever come in contact with it, just put a bag full of R-19 in the top and cover it over with a sheet of the fiberglass-reinforced concrete sheet, that would be enough.

I'm 6'-1” tall and weigh ~175 pounds and I can climb down and squat inside the hole no problem when it is empty, and I can reach into all the storage space inside the tire bodies without difficulty if there aren't any jugs placed on the bottom of the hole. The one pound powder containers I put in quart or gallon zip-lock freezer bags with long nylon or polypropylene strings (rot-proof, don't use cotton, jute, or sisal!) tied securely around them in case they get dropped, and then put them inside the tire bodies where the air goes; and big one-gallon jugs I set on the ground on the bottom of the hole. When the bottom of the hole is covered over with jugs, I put more jugs down the hole by putting them in heavy-duty draw-string plastic kitchen-size trash bags and hang them from the inside of the hole suspended by the tire beads using wire hooks made from coat hanger wire. I lower and hang the jugs using a “shepherd's crook” made out of a six-foot length of 1/2” PVC plastic water pipe with the hook made out of 1/8” steel welding rod inserted through 1/8” holes drilled through the sides of the PVC pipe with one end of the wire wrapped around the pipe for security and the other end forming a V-shaped “crook”. I store the shepherd's crook down the hole so it is always handy.

Something like a walk-in root cellar would be ideal! For the time being in my particular situation, I had several constraints I needed to observe. The price for making a concrete-block-lined underground root cellar big enough to stand up in with a roof strong enough to park a car on top of was out for this project since I don't own the land where I currently live and I had to keep in mind having to abandon what I built, so the size of this project was kept small and the cost of materials was kept pretty close to zero. I also had security in mind because of nosy neighborhood kids, it is just unthinkable what would happen if a 12-year-old kid got a hold of 8 or more pounds of powder! A truck tire-lined “spider hole” was what I came up with that was quick and easy and could be made quite secure by disguising it. My previous method of digging several seven-foot-deep shafts with my power pole hole auger and then dropping in 8” diameter by seven-foot-long corrugated plastic drainage pipes was very quick to create and quite secure when covered over with 18” round concrete stepping stones and then those covered over with several shovel-fulls of soil to hide them. For the storage shafts I simply lowered-in or pulled-out the one-gallon jugs of powder with a shepherd's crook. I kept the top jug at least 18” below surface level with a plastic shopping bag stuffed full of more plastic shopping bags as heat insulation so it was within the “cool zone” down the hole.

The ultimate in storage is a new never used commercially-made steel re-bar reinforced concrete septic tank, those you can park a car on top of no problem and they are absolutely water tight if the sewer inlet, outlet, and inspection lids are sealed up good with RTV silicone rubber caulking material. Those you can climb down inside of like a root cellar. The cost, though, is prohibitive unless you've got a few spare bucks for such a thing!

The photos are pretty much self-explanatory, the last photo of bare earth in the foreground is the 6'-6" deep hole with the lid on it and disguised with a few shovel-fulls of dirt thrown over it.

rl557
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize powder storage 3.JPG   resize powder storage 4.JPG   resize powder storage 1.JPG   resize powder storage 2.JPG   resize powder storage 6.JPG  

resize powder storage 7.JPG  
    Last edited by Linstrum; 06-21-2009 at 03:26 AM.
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

More Photos

Here are two more photos. I took the lid off and removed all the powder so the inside and the bottom can be seen.

It really is six feet six inches deep, I climbed down it in and I had to look up to see out!

rl558
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize powder storage 8.JPG   resize powder storage 9.JPG  

Banned
    Around here a 6 foot deep hole would have 3 feet of water in it inside a week.

Great idea for recycling tires, or off-the-grid construction though.....

Boolit Master
    around here powder in a 6 foot deep hole would be frozen 6 or 7 months a year.

Boolit Master

I would think an OLD refrigerator would be a lot easier
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    That looks like a good solution for the hot, dry climates. Were I live in Maine it would be called a shallow well.

BD

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    That looks like a good solution for the hot, dry climates. Were I live in Maine it would be called a shallow well.

BD
    Here in NC it would be a red neck mud bath pit, this year.
    I use a discarded upright freezer with magnetic (no latch) door seal, in the basement.
    I have powder from the 60s that is good as new.

I realize that I wrote an awful lot and it takes time to read everything, and consequently the most important, poignant, part of my thought process may have been skimmed over and missed. To quote myself from above, it is:

"Having to abandon fighting a fire or having to tell responding firefighters that there is a large amount of powder in the house or workshop and then having them abandon fighting an otherwise extinguishable house fire because there is powder stored there and consequently lose everything, is a decision I never want to have to make again!"

I had that happen to me TWICE, once in 2003 and again in 2005, when firefighters were so overwhelmed by a multitude of arson-set fires in my area that it caused me to totally re-think how my powder and primers are stored when firefighters were unable to fight the fire threatening my house and I had to do it myself. Having my powder stored where there is just about a zero chance of having it ignited is my solution to owning more than a few pounds of powder. I'd dearly love to be able to keep my powder in an old refrigerator or freezer, but that didn't work out for me. Also, purposely not telling firefighters that there is a situation that is potentially deadly to them is morally unconscionable. However, I do not want ANY government officials, firefighters or otherwise, to know that I have a large amount of powder, and storing it in a manner where I do not NEED to tell firefighters about it is my solution to the problem.

East of the Rocky Mountains and in the Pacific Northwest, having this kind of underground powder storage is totally out of the question because of the large amount of rain and snow that will infiltrate into the underground storage area. There are other parts of the country where it is totally feasible, though, and here in New Mexico is one of those places.
    Last edited by Linstrum; 06-24-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Many years ago I was told a fridge or a 3/4 plywood box would be very good so I got a junk fridge and lined it with 3/4 plywood still working good even with 100 tropical fish tanks in the basement

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

storage

a large septic tank or have a concrete pit cast on site and water proofed.seems the best way.course moving would cure it all.but I know that is not the idea.
    other salution would be death sentence for fire bugs.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice post!! Great photos!! Explains things well..
    Thanks!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Interesting idea... Might even be able to use something like this for a single person tornado shelter...

Boolit Master
    The wet side of the PNW may well be out of the question for this sort of construction but with a little ingenuity, one could make it work in eastern WA and our fire potentials keep growing as well.

Good work Linstrum

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Also, purposely not telling firefighters that there is a situation that is potentially deadly to them is morally unconscionable. However, I do not want ANY government officials, firefighters or otherwise, to know that I have a large amount of powder, and storing it in a manner where I do not NEED to tell firefighters about it is my solution to the problem.
    So do you tell them about propane and gasoline and starter fluid stored in the garage? How about welding tanks? Pesticides? Smokeless powder and loaded ammo is far less dangerous. (Guns with loaded chambers that can cook-off, and large stores of blackpowder are dangerous.)

Boolit Grand Master

One gallon of gasoline has more BTU's than your 96 lbs of surplus powder. Propane and gas tanks are far more dangerous.

Boolit Master
    I would never, ever bury anything in this environmentally green messed up political backwords world, especially here in Michigan. Just as soon as some new plat punched a well and the nitrates tested high the DEQ and their band of nazi's
    come and dig it up wearing haz mat suits and send me a bill for 1.5 million dollars. That would be par for the course with the eco nazi's here in Michigan for just some concetrated nitrogen fertilizer. But all the more power to you, if that's what you want, great, don't think here in the much wetter midwest it would work well.

Then again the hazards (especially fire) are totally different in New Mexico as well as the potential to have underground storage than it is here in the relatively damp midwest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast