Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Only 1 Handgun? One Rifle?

Banned

my 50 ak and one of my 500 linebaughs. they can be loaded up or down to kill anything on earth

Boolit Mold

what mtgun44 said

Rifle would be Ruger 77 in 7mmx57 Mauser.
    pistol conversation I will not consider.
    41 magnum
    Icore Life Member
    NRA Benefactor member

Boolit Master

pistol......colt new frontier with 22mag and 22 LR cylinder
    rifle....7x57 rem 722

of course it would be HARD to live with just 2.....

Banned

The .475 BFR and a 6.5X55 but I need to add a gun. A ruger slabside Mark II. Always need a .22.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadforbrains View Post
    One Handgun and only one rifle?
    Surely you jest.
    What he said. Absolute minimum would be Rem 870 12 gauge, 30-06 bolter, and 4" Model 686 in 357 Magnum.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    I hate these questions, but it's raining cats and dogs here. Just one of each? 4" M19 Smiff and, after careful thought, my Marlin 35 Rem. Neither is perfect, but if I only could one they'd and share the moulds. Actually it'd be a toss up between them and my M-24 Smiff and the 44 Puma.

But what would I do without a 22???
    I would have to agree. I think I would stick with my Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag and my S&W 629 Classic. in .44 Mag as someone else has mentioned you can load them up or down.

But also with what others have said you would have to have a shotgun in there somewhere and a .22. So for the .22 I think I would go nuts between a Colt Woodsman and the Ruger BlackHawk in .22.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    I'll stick with NATO calibers, 9mm Browning HP & 308 Armalite.

Winelover

The answer is simple: One of everything.

Being from Australia no pistol!!
    But if I could I would keep my 686 in 357.
    For a rifle I would keep my 308 Parker Hale. It will knock over anything in Oz.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

S&W 29, 44 MAG. And Remington 700, 30-06
    ECV
    JULIA, C, BULETTE, 1864

Boolit Bub
    In town - CZ-75 and a set up 12 gauge.
    In the "not in town" - .358 WCF custom and my long gone 4" S&W M-66.
    Terrier
    Never Forget and Never Forgive

Boolit Master
    Ithaca 37 12 guage w/28" mod bbl, a good [standard parts] 1911A1 in 45 ACP, and a good bolt gun in 30-06

Mrs sundog would have a double barrel .410, a Ruger .22 auto, and a worked over 10/22

If I could have only one handgun it would be chambered in .22 LR. Revolver or pistol would not matter much but I would take a S&W Model 17 or a Ruger Super Single Six if I had a choice. For the one rifle, I would get a .22 LR again. If I could cheat a little, I would pick a combo rifle/shotgun like the Savage 24 in .22 LR/410. For big game I would use a longbow made from an old osage orange fence post. The arrows could be tipped with arrowheads made from glass bottles. I am assuming this kind of a choice would come only if I had a financial downturn or if the government is running roughshod over us. In either case, large caliber ammo would be difficult to get. A .22 rifle can do amazing things if it has to.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 08-10-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    It's really hard not to pick a .22 for one, but:

Rifle:
    Steyr Scout .308. It does about anything I need a rifle to do, and weighs less than most.
    (2nd choice- M1 Garand in .308) Same reasoning. but heavier, although giving me the option of semi-auto.

Handgun:
    Browning HiPower 9mm. Popular caliber, and the BHP is the one that fits my hand best. Wife and kids could probably handle it OK if they had to.
    (2nd choice- 1911)

Maybe the smart thing to do would be to use one choice on a TC Contender or Encore with about 250 barrels and various stocks, but I'll play by the "spirit" of the intent of the question.

Thanks Sundog!...I forgot about the Mrs! That doubles the guns I have acess to!

For the Mrs...My M1 and my 629-3 S&W!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    Tough decision. Keep in mind that as long as your guns are stored right they will not go down in value, and with our new President promising change they are very likely to go up in value ten fold.
    But if I had to make that decision I would go with a stainless Ruger Gp100 4" barrel in 357mag. A good gun in 357mag is better then a life time supply of duct tape.
    For my rifle I would have to make it a bolt action Remington or Ruger in 308win.

That would be my choice if I simply had to make, but keep in mind that a 22 rimfire is as necessary to life as sunshine and water.

P.S. What do you have that you would sell? I might be interested.

In Remembrance
    Mosin m44 in very good condition, and S&W model 37 2" .38.
    Hey - that's all I have right now. But they will take care of my needs.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    You never will have the right gun at the right time, just as you cannot possibly have enough security (money). That is why it is extremely important to have the Lord on your side at all times. ... felix
    He's right.

In Remembrance
    I've read so many of these "if you could only have one or two guns, what would they be?" and my answers have never changed.

For the handgun, hands-down it would be a six-inch Smith & Wesson Model 686. The .357 Magnum round is tested and proven beyond anyone's doubt whatsoever. Six inches is long enough to hunt at short ranges, yet still concealable via a shoulder rig. The stainless alleviates worries of rust and pitting prematurely and broadens the spectrum of cleaning solutions and techniques. The L-frame is large enough to handle a full and steady diet of magnums with no adverse affects for a long time.

For the rifle, hands down it would be a Winchester 94 in 30-30. And THAT one doesn't even need explanation.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    .... A good gun in 357mag is better then a life time supply of duct tape.....
    This has to be the quote of the week.

A 5" S&W M627 would fill that requirement nicely.

The rifle to go with it would have to be an M1A.

Jack