MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 Lee 180gr flat nose bootit group buy?

Boolit Master

357 Lee 180gr flat nose bootit group buy?

anyone interested in doing a run on this mold again?from another forum i learned there is an interest in this mold and i think it would be a good one to do again.i would like a Lee mold to make this bullet.

180gr 357cal with a gas check,a flat nose bullet

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I would sign on IF LEE would agree to run some of the 25 with no Gas Check Shank,I run CNC machines for a living and I know that all is required to do that is a simple program change.

I am just too cheap to buy gas checks for revolver boolits.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    Jeff223

I'm interested. I think if we wait a month or two we might get more signed on though. There is just a lot of deals going right now. 4 or 5? I've lost track. One of both plain base and GC would be great. Can't afford both right now as I'm in on another one of the buys.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    Jeff223

You are talking about the same design as the earlier group by (Lee C358-180-RF six cavity)?

Jim

Alright, I took time and reread your post and It is obvious that is what you are talking about.
    Last edited by tall grass; 04-13-2005 at 10:43 AM.
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

Boolit Bub
    158-180 sounds kind of interesting to me in a DC; I'd probably prefer plain base just because I'm cheap.

Moderator Emeritus

Any thoughts to a 200 grain bullet? The 180 has been done and I don't remember what the vote difference was for a 200 grainer. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    this lee mold was run some time ago and had good reports.in 357mag and in 357max handi rifles this bullet shot good.i now have a 357max TC Contender and have been thinking about a 180gr or even a 200gr bullet.there are molds out there that i can get from another company to make this bullit but they are more money.i can get into casting useing Lee stuff for alot less money.you see i am cheap too.

this bullit could be a 200gr bullit as the max will push that big of bullit good enough.a 200gr would make the max a heavy hitter too.one way or the other im in for a mold.we can wait till we get enough interest.i have several good loads and bullets that shoot great with jacketed bullets for my Contender.i will just use those till the mold deal goes down.

im open for any ideas here too as i know nothing about casting bullits.ive read i need a hard cast with a gas check and a nice big flat nose bullit for hunting.this big flat nose seems to be the ticket.at Graybeard outdoors Veral Smith says this and he seems to have a big following.only bad thing is his molds are high dollar

Boolit Master

this is the very bullit im talking about.i found this picture here on another post.a fellow is useing it with his 357 herret

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird
    I would sign on IF LEE would agree to run some of the 25 with no Gas Check Shank,I run CNC machines for a living and I know that all is required to do that is a simple program change.

I am just too cheap to buy gas checks for revolver boolits.

Bill
    They won't. Gotta be 25 of each. I went through that with the .25-20 project.

I got one of the six hole C359-180-RF and could not ask for better. You won't go wrong simply having that re-run.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Jeff,

I think Veral is on the money, BUT I desire to shoot a LOT of boolits, using gas checks reduces the number of ctg. I can load for my fixed supply of $$....so I will work without them for most purposes in pistolas...and Veral does recognise guys like me and says to use a beval base so that the actual heel of the boolit is not affected by the sprueplate not being perfectly flat onto the top of the mold.

Veral gives quite a lecture in his book on why nose pour molds while they may make more perfect bases leave voids in the nose then that cause worse accuracy than a slightly out of square base. I also recognise however that Verals method of mfg. may not especially lend itself to nose pour designs.

the upper velocity limit Veral quotes in revolvers is 1400fps for plain base, I can work with that hehe.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

Wink

leftoverdj,you are one of the reasons why i want one of these molds.you along with some of the others have good luck with this bullit.i want one of these molds too.i will need some casting help once i get a mold.i am thinking i will get a Lee resizing die once i get my barrel slugged.my smith can do that for me.i hear the Lee lubes are good too.

i will need some help and direction once this game starts

Jeff, That design is a dead-ringer for the droppings of my LBT mold. It is also very accurate out of 2 .357mag. revolvers that I own. ...Maven

Boolit Master
    so to do this mold run we will need 25 people that want a mold?right?should i try to round up some others to go along with this mold?maybe over at AR or Graybeards or at handloads.com i could get some people that would want a mold.what do you all think?

i never did any thing like this before.do i just take charge or does someone else from the forum do that?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff223
    so to do this mold run we will need 25 people that want a mold?right?should i try to round up some others to go along with this mold?maybe over at AR or Graybeards or at handloads.com i could get some people that would want a mold.what do you all think?

i never did any thing like this before.do i just take charge or does someone else from the forum do that?
    If I understand the situation correctly, The "25" number is the minimum molds required to waive the $100.00 set up fee. You can order just one mold if you want, but it will cost the $50.00 for a 6 cavity mold, plus $100.00 set up fee. We try to get a 25 mold order to minimize the cost. If you could only get 10 buyers for a design, then you could split the setup fee and still get the molds for $60.00 each plus shipping.

Boolit Master

Talking

YES this is what i am saying

Boolit Mold

I'm Interested...

I am definitely interested in getting one of these molds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maven
    Jeff, That design is a dead-ringer for the droppings of my LBT mold. It is also very accurate out of 2 .357mag. revolvers that I own. ...Maven

What loading data for this bullet in your revolvers?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maven

What loading data for this bullet in your revolvers?

LouisB

Yeah !! Another .357 river boat pulls into the dock finally ...... gas check version for me, please, any weight 180-200-210 is fine.

You need to go ahead & start collecting the actual checks, you already have enough "interest shown" to build up to a 25 buy after collecting checks for a little bit.

Adding a band to it and doing it as a 200-210 grainer would be "different" than any slug done before and you would collect a few of the first timer mold run buyers going back through again this time as well.

A "heavier bullet" of this curved meplat format would suit rifle shooters a wee little tiny bit better as it would have a better BC while the folks who shoot the big .357 pissolas would get even more recoil / hunting / killing bragging rights if they bought the new mold as a big brother to the one they already have. They can certainly then claim to be more efficent than .44 caliber folks who are slinging 200 grain .429 squatties at their deer -- and this is an important point to the .357 hunter who is otherwise poo-poo by them egotistical .44 people (who have to go way down in bullet weight to get decent .357 impact speeds out of their guns).

I'd keep a long gas check shank on it as the leading issues in rifles are moderated a tiny bit by more scraping storeage capacity up ahead of the gas check scraping edge.

The collectors among us (and yes, there are some who have bought EVERY ONE of the custom built molds !!!) would then HAVE to buy them a new one as well or their mold collection simply won't be complete ..... (hee hee).

I'm home this weekend, typing on my very own keyboard in between working down the list of honey-do's that have built up.

Kelly
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 04-16-2005 at 09:36 AM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

I have the original 180 gr. mould and would love to have the same design weighing 220 gr. for my 356 Winchester. I'd order a 200 gr. or heavier, and sell my 180 gr. Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast