Thread: M1917 Enfield Feeding Question

Nickel follower block

This happens to be a Swede CG-63, but you get the idea:

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Buddy
    Over the years, I have had several dozen issue Mausers, half a dozen 03's and 03A3's, a P14, three M1917's. All fed single rounds laid on the follower, or inserted into the chamber, not pressed into the magazine well and closed with no more effort than rounds fed from the magazine.

Why do you suppose all of mine would single feed and so few of youse guys'es do? I have noticed that each and every one I've seen has the front of the extractor hook bevelled. I can't believe that all those rifles over all those years had their extractors bevelled by anyone other than the factory.

The bolt rifles currently in my racks are: Swede M38 (Husq. 1943) Yugo M48, Chilean M1912/61. Rem. 03-A3, M1917 Eddystone, M1917 Remington. Every bloody one has a bevelled extractor. Every one single feeds as smoothly and effortlessly as if it were designed to.

Gerry N.

I guess you're just a lucky guy!

In addition to my current M1917 Enfield, I also have a M1895 Dutch Mannlicher that won't feed single cartridges.

They are out there...

Tom

www.vintage-gunlore.com
    If somebody were down on the corner handing out $20 bills, someone else would be complaining that it wasn't two $10s.

Found a two groove rifleing Eddystone today that had a bright shiney bore for half of what I've been seeing them at other places lately.

I had him hold it for a day till I can scrounge up some cash. I can't wait to try one of these clubs out!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Pretty much all have a bevel of sorts but usually need more of a bevel to jump over the rim easily.

If you look at the construction of the Mauser style extractors you can see that you are pushing your luck forcing it over the rim as the shortest part of the )usually very old extractor is being bent.

Withthis in mind, I'll feed mine from the magazine thanks. I'm not hunting dangerous game, but a broken extractor is a huge PITA, even at the range.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Why don't you simply drop a single round on top of the follower,then give the bum of the case a little push so it clicks under the mag rail and below the extractor so when you push the bolt forward the round pops up onto the bolt face engages the extractor and chambers just like Paul Mauser designed it to.I do that with all my rifles and it works a treat. Pat

Boolit Master
    I've chosen to leave mine unadultered for the forseeable future. It's not bothering me, I like the design .......

And if someone needs to grind theirs ...... that's their rifle .......

My specimen has been changed enough already before I got it ........ I want it left as is ......

Three 44s

I have not observed this on my "17 " need to take closer look Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181216_094402 (1).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	234051

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12