RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #12 shot for snake loads. Where to find it?

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

#12 shot for snake loads. Where to find it?

Does anyone know where to get #12 shot at for a half way decent price? I have already checked with Rotometals and they don’t carry it. I want to make shot loads for a couple of my revolvers to shoot mostly carpenter bees with. Evidently once you get smaller than #9 shot there is a problem finding it? I’d even be interested in buying 25 lb or more and diving it out here for what it cost me plus shipping.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Good link, Junior. Thanks.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

Down South

I purchased 10 lbs of #12 shot at least 10 years ago, maybe longer and I still have much of it left!!!

I have experimented with handgun shot shells in 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45LC and I find that #9 shot might be better.

Yep, less pellets, but each has a bit more energy than a #12. Number 12 is almost like "dust". I think I would try #9 first and if patterns are acceptable, you might not need #12.

Shot in handguns in only good for about 10 feet at best in my opinion.

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Sam, read my article on 44 mag shotshells: http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind his prey is carpenter bees.

Boolit Master

bee medicine

for bees i use grits or old tumbler media, have`nt tried rice.
    grits good for 6-7 ft.

GP100man

Boolit Master

Whoops...I missed the part on Carpenter Bees! I also use walnut or corn tumbling media in these types of loads. Much of that "rediculous" shooting is in areas where a person might put a hole in a roof or an overhang eaves (sp). Lead shot certainly wouldn't be acceptable. Sorry about that...BCB

Boolit Master

For Carpenter Bees you might also consider some beeswax loads. They can be loaded with just a primer, or if you want a little more oomph, you can drill out 6 cases primer pockets to take 209 shotgun primers.

I did that for my 44, and with about .250" thick beeswax wads, took care of some vermin inside the shed without harming the roof or metal walls. BUT, you can't get too close to those things either. With the 209 primers, the wax wad turned an aluminum soda can inside out at about 2' range...
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

I read Junior's article some time back and wanted some #10 & 12. Ballistic Products is fine, but Graf's also has them. I called them and asked them if they would put 10 pounds of each into a flat rate box, they would and did. Total was less than half of what Ballistic wanted.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned

True Grits

Last year when I was workin part time at Cabaleas in Scarborough, ME a fellow came in looking to work up a load for Carpenter Bees.

Welll I never seed dem cept when I lived in Taxachusetts and figugued they be somtin that Barny Frank brought back wit him desizese and all.

So. being that I had migrated and exceplified myself from such this came to me as such a surprise!

So.

Take 1 .44mag brass catreage and load into thus 16 to 18 grains of Red Dot followed by a compression of Bees Wax upon which thou will laste a doseage of Milled Corn Grain called Grits. and then followed by a capature of parifan or beewax.

Place into your six shoter and Blam you got it!

Im certain that a few of you will ponder and ask. What the HEy does this picture have to do with the topic.

Well the best I can answer is ? I dont know but I like it!

PS : If you dont like it go to the other shooing site that dont like it also. nor Hwho?

I like it, a lot! I would have to tell the lady in the picture it don't matter which color, with those legs and such.
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    I use homemade card wads in a .45 Colt Taurus Judge over 2 grs. of Bullseye with a full case of grits or old walnut media. Top and seal with another card wad and a medium roll crimp and them bees'll be breakin' camp.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NEWENGLANDCHARTERS View Post
    Last year when I was workin part time at Cabaleas in Scarborough, ME a fellow came in looking to work up a load for Carpenter Bees.

Welll I never seed dem cept when I lived in Taxachusetts and figugued they be somtin that Barny Frank brought back wit him desizese and all.

So. being that I had migrated and exceplified myself from such this came to me as such a surprise!

So.

Take 1 .44mag brass catreage and load into thus 16 to 18 grains of Red Dot followed by a compression of Bees Wax upon which thou will laste a doseage of Milled Corn Grain called Grits. and then followed by a capature of parifan or beewax.

Place into your six shoter and Blam you got it!

Im certain that a few of you will ponder and ask. What the HEy does this picture have to do with the topic.

Well the best I can answer is ? I dont know but I like it!

PS : If you dont like it go to the other shooing site that dont like it also. nor Hwho?

That seems like an awefull lot of Red Dot for what the load is/needs to be, but then, I've never shot it, so....

As far as the picture, I'd tell her I'd need to test all three colors, and I'd give her my final decision on the third morning....
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

I agree with the 16-18 grains of Red Dot seeming like a whole bunch. I think years ago I used similar amounts for 12 gauge loads...BCB

#12 shot is also known as lead dust. It's what CCI loads in their .22 rimfire shotshells.

I just looked at Junior's link for the first time. He has a lot of good information posted.
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 06-13-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

I just noticed MidwayUSA.com has 10-lb bags of #11 shot listed in their monthly specials section. Can't remember the price now, but if you're hunting for tiny shot, it's worth a look...

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Sam, read my article on 44 mag shotshells: http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm
    Sorry it's took me so long to get back to this post. I just got in from work yesterday afternoon and I had to hit the ground running. I’m trying to get all of the grass cut and I still have some left to do. I’ve got a couple places that I cut about 40 miles from here and that is where I have been most of the day. I have to go back to New Orleans tomorrow afternoon.

Jr, that is a great article. I've visited it a couple times in the past and again now. I visited the link that you posted a couple days ago and they are sort of high on their #12 shot. I was trying to find it at a decent price. I’ll check some of the other links that were posted to see if I can find the shot a little cheaper.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    cheaper than dirt sells 12 gauge shells loaded with #12shot. I figure that one box might contain a life time supply if you tore them down.

#12 Shot
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Chi...uctinfo/02612/

Oops. Looks like Jr. already provided this information.
    Last edited by wills; 09-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast