Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Master
    I have it loaded on two laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I have it loaded on two laptops.
    Thank you sir
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Master

Well, I just finished reading this entire thread…

I have been debating purchasing this program since I made several posts in 2010!!!...

I still haven’t purchased it…

I was wondering about all the posters who were “on the borderline” of purchasing it if they did purchase the program and do they really enjoy it and is it useful to develop cast boolit loads?...

I am now reloading for the 6.8mm and there is almost no data for cast boolits. Much of the data for jacketed bullets are for the very most common weights—seems 85 grains to 120 grains. Yea, some other data for heavier bullets are available, but powder selecting is somewhat limited also…

Is the 6.8mm on the latest version of Quick Load?...

If not, I guess I could add it and take it from there?...

Still thinkin’ of purchasing it!!!...

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master

I am not at a location that I can look at the program to see if the caliber you are referring to is included but if you shoot much you will wonder at why you took so long at getting it. For myself it has paid for itself by saving powder and bullets and could get a good starting point closer to what I was looking for in performance and just had to tweak the load for the gun. It's fun just to play with other powders to see what it takes to get the case fill you want and velocity without going over pressure. Then you have the program that gives you the trajectory charts for your load. I still double check with the paper books before I load for real. I never trust only one source.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

“I still double check with the paper books before I load for real. I never trust only one source.”

Yep, that is what I am afraid of. If I have to double check the data it gives me, then I already have that data at my access—I have 34+ manuals—some pretty old, some new. Difficult to give an exact number as they are throughout my house—computer room, my end stand as I watch TV and of course, at my reloading room…

I am still debating. A high-tech program is nice, but if it is just to “dilly-dally” with, I can still purchase lots and lots of manuals and published data for the price of the program…

But, I’m still thinking of purchasing…

Thanks…BCB

I have version 3.8 but in the pre-Jan-2014 version.

6.8 SPC is available in this version already. What I like about Quickload is that I can extend it myself .. in terms of bullets, powder, and and and. When I bought it, I was first overwhelmed of the functionality, but if you put your behind in a chair for a couple of hours you will get the picture what is possible and what not.

As gmsharps says, it's a boost of reloader tools, playing with powders, tweaking loads for case fill, how much of your powder actually burns in your defined barrel (or not). I always look up load data on paper too before I load, if the data displayed or suggested makes sense.
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Just got the Jan 2014 update. Was hoping that it had Accurate LT 32 and Alliant MP 300 powders in it .....NOT. Anyone have the data for them?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Well, I just finished reading this entire thread…

I have been debating purchasing this program since I made several posts in 2010!!!...

I still haven’t purchased it…

I was wondering about all the posters who were “on the borderline” of purchasing it if they did purchase the program and do they really enjoy it and is it useful to develop cast boolit loads?...

I am now reloading for the 6.8mm and there is almost no data for cast boolits. Much of the data for jacketed bullets are for the very most common weights—seems 85 grains to 120 grains. Yea, some other data for heavier bullets are available, but powder selecting is somewhat limited also…

Is the 6.8mm on the latest version of Quick Load?...

If not, I guess I could add it and take it from there?...

Still thinkin’ of purchasing it!!!...

Thanks…BCB
    Yes, as 6.8 Rem SPC

Boolit Master
    OK, two things.

1- where do I go get the Jan 2014 update??

2-Is there any way to input a desired FPS into QL and it tells me how much powder??? Or do I just have to play with it till I get the fps I'm looking for for the powder I'm using?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    2-Is there any way to input a desired FPS into QL and it tells me how much powder??? Or do I just have to play with it till I get the fps I'm looking for for the powder I'm using?
    Page 25 in the QuickLoad Manual details the way this is set up.

Here is a short version.
    By the way, I think this is, absolutely, the best feature in the whole program.

Go to the menu bart at the top of the form and click the Propellant Table Setup icon

Use the slider bars to select a range of approximate burn rate powders to use

The image below is from the QuickLoad manual
    (This can be confusing as QuickLoad's Number system is reversed from what we are accustomed to using. Just remember that fast powders have a high number and slow powders have a low number)

Select the Radio Button beside the "fps" window.

Click the "Apply and Exit" button to view the Propellant Table.

( I have my own powder powder table installed so this is a short table)

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsdou44 View Post
    Has anyone tried modeling SR 4759 powder in QL? Or is there a powder in the QL database one can approximate the performance of 4759?

Nels
    I've been wanting to enter 4759 into the database too. I called Ed and he said the average user can't add powders, as they require special burn charicteristic numbers. Those numbers are difficult to get from the powder manufacturers/distributers.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master

What number do you guys use for the shot start initiation pressure for cast boolits, and then if the boolits are jammed?
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range

QuickLoad: Adding Missing Powder

how can I add new smokeless powder to my version (newest) of QuickLoad ?

I'm missing Win AutoComp and a few others
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck w/ this one. I know at least one person has added SR4759. But when asked to provide the info nothing has happened. Not that I can blame them. That's a lot of responsibility and potential problems. There are a lot of values to change for powders so it's not something you go into lightly.

Boolit Buddy
    I developed a powder profile for SR4759 several years ago. As I recall, I modified the data on an existing powder until the results matched chrono data. Here is a screenshot for whatever it may be worth. I would suggest validating it to your own satisfaction before using it. Post back if your experiments suggest data changes are needed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sr4759.gif 
Views:	220 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	104225
    People sometimes tell me they dont own guns because guns are too expensive. I tell them guns dont cost anything. They are essentially another form of currency.

Boolit Mold
    wlc,
    The Jan '14 update available on Neco website http://www.neconos.com/index.html see the flashing new sign next to the picture of the case gauge.

Rickster,
    thanks for publishing 4759 powder data, any luck with 7625, WSF, Autocomp?
    I've been playing with quickload on some 9mm pistol loads to get my bearing with it and I'm still having problems
    with data matching load performance. Seems case capacity is the key, quickload came with 13.69 grains h2o and I've seen published data up to 15.50. I've measured my cases, Federals, at about 14.40 but the quickload data and performance is still off.
    Any suggestions? Any case capacity work best for you?

thanks in advance

Boolit Buddy
    Deleted
    Last edited by kfarm; 11-12-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am just starting to play with quick load, version 3.8.
    Trying to come up with a table for .358 win, with rcbs 35-200, and holding pressures to 46,500. I got a max of imr 4895 of 46.7 grs. for a pressure of 44,466, and worked my way down to 42.0 grs for a pressure of 30,575. It says to increase the start pressure by 7200 if you seat into the lands. Doing this increased the map from 30,575 to 41,719.
    I'm glad I found this bit of info, that's a heck of an increase!
    My (max) load of 44,466 psi increased to 56,537, way over what I wanted!
    Does seating boolits into the rifling actually raise pressures this much?
    Also, changing boolit diameter from .358 to .360 doesn't seem to affect pressures, am I off track in thinking this is wrong?
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Bub
    Just a little heads up- I recently purchased Quickload, and had a problem with the installation. It wouldn't complete the install process, it would get to about 12% of the download off the disk and come up with errors, and wouldn't complete the installation. Now not being a computer geek, was at a loss at the time (windows 8.1). I had another computer with an older run system so tried installing Quickload on it. Bingo no problem. So back to the new computer. The instructions with Quickload state to make sure the Quickload demo program is removed completely. Problem was for some reason it (Windows 8.1) wouldn't uninstall the demo program completely (new computer), left the directory and a file. Trying to remove the old directory & file with the uninstall program was futile. Would come back to (file not found) Yet still there on the hard drive. So in the Quickload install process you can specify the directory you want the program in. I took a WAG and told install program to install Quickload to a different directory than the default. Woopie success. Needless to say I'm not enthralled with WIN 8.1 and still haven't found a way to completely remove the Demo program, but I'm up and running Quickload on the new computer. If anyone else has this problem that's how I solved it. bushman

Boolit Buddy

Good to know, thanks.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast