RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Grand Master

Questions about Quikload

I'm considering buying Quikload (sp?) and have some questions for those of you that own it.

The most important question first: Is it designed to be used toward cast boolits as well as jacketed?

Can the program be loaded into the computer and then the disk be removed or is it set up such that the disk must be in to run it?

As for a source, who's got the best price on it right now?

What I know about this program wouldn't fill a thimble. If there are questions I should be asking and have not, keep in mind my ignorance. I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks, fellas.

Yes, works equally well with cast or jacketed.
    Fairly easy to create your own custom cast rounds.

Yes, once loaded, disc is no longer required for use.

Only downside I find are many missing powders, such as WSF. And the price. Way too expensive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm considering buying Quikload (sp?) and have some questions for those of you that own it.

The most important question first: Is it designed to be used toward cast boolits as well as jacketed?

Can the program be loaded into the computer and then the disk be removed or is it set up such that the disk must be in to run it?

What I know about this program wouldn't fill a thimble. If there are questions I should be asking and have not, keep in mind my ignorance. I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks, fellas.
    Jim, I have been using QuickLoad for a couple of years and in my opinion, after one goes to the trouble of really reading and understanding the help manual, it is an invaluable tool for cast bullet load development.

Yes, the program contains cast bullet data and details the cast bullet parameters to be used.

Yes, the program is installed on the computer and is then run independently of the disk. The disk can be used to reinstall in case of CCF (Catastrophic Computer Failure).

Not much help here. I only know of one source here in the states. Necco
    I think I remember of a source in England but not sure.

In my opinion, anyone who is interested enough to begin asking about QuickLoad will have the motivation to make the effort to study and understand full potential of the software. So my advice would be to go ahead and purchase the software then take the time to read through the help manual that is installed with the software. Then you can start asking questions about the nomenclature and procedures that are not clear.

Any questions that you then have can be posted in the QuickLoad thread in the QuickLoad Sticky here in the Reloading Equipment Forum section.

I was so impressed with QuickLoad that I wrote a software module that steps through my Precision Reloading Records software and writes personal QuickLoad data files using the paramaters of my personal firearms, bullet data, cartridge data and powder data to write data files that QuickLoad automatically loads and uses.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

Some people like it and some don't. I for one like it. It has saved me way more that it's cost in saved time and components. I do not trust any one source for loading anything. Always check a second source. It does both internal and external ballistics. You can vary the entries to try different loads with out having to shoot it in a firearm to check pressure nad the like. A lot of stuff you can do just depends on how far you want to go. NECO is the only source I'm aware of and you can get updates as they add new powders and bullets. I like it and when back in the US I use it a lot.

gmsharps

Boolit Mold
    I love quick load. I have been reloding since 1960 and its one of the best things I have bought for my hobbie. One down side is there are several powders not included because variability in their manufacturing process. I was determined to solve this so I set out
    to get the data and include it in the program when I run it. Using advice from the guy who sells it. My quick load now runs powders like 4759, 4756, 7625, 20/28 and many others. I have used the new data without any problem. I have also created +P versions for the 45 colt, 45 auto rim and the 45 super. It is actually a very interesting piece of software.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RBurke44 View Post
    ....... My quick load now runs powders like 4759, 4756, 7625, 20/28 and many others. I have used the new data without any problem.
    I am sure you expended a lot of effort and time acquiring the data for the additional powders.
    I think I can safely say that I am one of many who would sincerely appreciate being able to incorporate that into our QuickLoad database. Am I being presumptuous in asking if you would be so inclined to share the details of that data?
    If not, could you perhaps give and indication as to how to go about locating the data.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Mold
    Hi Tom:

Send me a PM, I am concerned about the legals but I do have lots of info.

Boolit Master
    BIG +1 on Tom Meyers and Gmsharps replies.

It has saved me big $ on supplies to achieve desired results!

Most predictions are scary close when you learn to use it.
    If you plug in all the proper data and get a very good idea what the end result will be without wasting precious powder, primers etc., very little "I think this should work", If it says shot initiation pressure is too low that means the boolit will be stuck in the barrel

If you want a low flash coon huntin load develop it in QL so you have 100 % powder burn well before the end of the barrel, expanding gasses will still give some flash but not like powder still burning after the muzzle will.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

I recently bought the QuickLoad program and, with an editor, I was looking over some of the bullet files. My problem is that most of the bullets I shoot are not listed. Mainly, I am a pistol shooter and for .40 S&W I shoot mainly Montana Gold 180grn JHP, Zero 180grn JHP, and S&S Cast 180 LFP bullets. I see with the editor bullets from Lee and Lyman molds, but they are 170grn and 175grn and of different length than the S&S cast bullet. Sooo... I want to edit or create a file for the S&S Cast bullet but I don't know what the numbers mean that are attached to the Lee or Lyman types represented. Of course I understand what the weight and bullet length numbers are, but not the others. Does anyone here know what those represent, or do any of you have data for the S&S 180grn LFN bullet, or for that matter the Montana Gold or Zero 180 JHP?

I ask this because if you run sims with different bullet types, especially jacketed ones, you get wildly different pressure numbers, and frankly, I like my fingers where they are!

Boolit Buddy
    Hi All,
    You all have answered my question and more, I thank you!
    Please correct me if I am wrong, here is what I have come up with!
    Okay: you open up the program, find caliber, then locate your bullet and look for your powder, I assume at some time you enter your barrel length, type of action, do you put your load data in, and if so it will plot out your ballistics and it's recommends loads for you, and gives the ballistics for it's loads?? I forgot to mention that I think it gives chamber pressure's based on your info and it's data?
    Am I way off base?
    Greg

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    I want to edit or create a file for the S&S Cast bullet but I don't know what the numbers mean that are attached to the Lee or Lyman types represented. Of course I understand what the weight and bullet length numbers are, but not the others. Does anyone here know what those represent, or do any of you have data for the S&S 180grn LFN bullet, or for that matter the Montana Gold or Zero 180 JHP?
    The QuickLoad software is truly an amazing piece of software but it's full potential is only realized through a complete understanding of just how to adjust and manipulate the data that is entered. The QuickLoad User's Guide needs to be studied in order to gain the needed skills.

The QuickLOAD menu option titled Data: Add, Change, Load, Save provides methods to either write new data files or add/edit the existing component data files.

For those that are using both the Precision Load Records software and the QuickLoad program, I am working on an update to the Load Records module that will step through the Firearm, Cartridge, Bullet and Powder databases and write personal QuickLOAD datafiles that contain all the components and combinations in the user's recorded loads and firearm records. It saves a lot of time while preventing typo errors in that data and seems to work quite well.

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Bub
    Okay, I've read lots of discussion about Quickload here and elsewhere, and I'm interested enough to consider it. But I have one nagging doubt.

It appears that if a specific bullet is not listed in the bullet database, you can add it. You have to input all the measurements and specifications, but that's doable enough with a scale and a caliper. Right?

However if a powder is not listed, what can you do? It doesn't seem likely that you could find the data needed to add an unlisted powder. Right?

I could live with that if Quickload includes the powders I'm likely to use. But I can't find a listing of the powders in the Quickload database anywhere. Is there a list of these powders somewhere?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadmonkey View Post
    However if a powder is not listed, what can you do? It doesn't seem likely that you could find the data needed to add an unlisted powder. Right?
    Right. You should only use data from Quickload that they have tested and determined to be compatible with their calculation parameters.

I could live with that if Quickload includes the powders I'm likely to use. But I can't find a listing of the powders in the Quickload database anywhere. Is there a list of these powders somewhere?
    Quickload's main powder list contains about 218 powders.

The modification date on the powder file that came with my setup is 8/18/2009 so Quickload may have added more powders in a newer edition.

It would be tedious to copy a complete list of all the powders but most powders are listed from the following brands.
    If you need to know about some specific powders, post the names and I'll check them against the files that I have.

Accurate
    ADI
    Alliant
    Bofors
    Hodgdon
    IMR
    Kazan Sunar 308 (1 listing)
    Lovex
    Norma
    PB Clermont PCL
    Ramshot
    Raufoss (3 listings)
    Rottweil
    SF-033 fl (1 listing)
    Somchem
    Snpe Vetcam
    TLP A 502(RH) ,test only (1 listing)
    V1734 7-multiperf ,test only (1 listing)
    Vihtavuori
    Nitrochemie ( 2 listings)
    Winchester

Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Bub
    I'm currently only loading pistol ammo, revolver and auto, standard and magnum, with what I assume are common powders, W231/HP38, Universal, Unique, Bullseye, Accurate #2, 2400, H110 etc.. If I can be confident that these common powders are covered, I am probably going to go ahead and order Quickload.

Boolit Master

I'm currently only loading pistol ammo, revolver and auto, standard and magnum, with what I assume are common powders, W231/HP38, Universal, Unique, Bullseye, Accurate #2, 2400, H110 etc.. If I can be confident that these common powders are covered, I am probably going to go ahead and order Quickload.
    Yep, all there and many, many more.

The only ones that I wish were there and are not in the powder data files that I have are the IMR "SR" series powders. However it appears that is a moot point as I understand that Hodgdon is going to discontinue the SR series next year.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    Yep, all there and many, many more.
    However it appears that is a moot point as I understand that Hodgdon is going to discontinue the SR series next year.
    WHAT?!?

NOOOO!!!!!

r1kk1

Boolit Mold
    you can load that match king and get a1700 feet per second or so, but a hornet 1:16 twist will never stabilizae that bullet unles you hav a custom barrel with a 1:8 twist or so.

Boolit Mold
    Quickload is a great program, but an estimator, remember just like data from load books, start lower and work up. I have found it to be quite accurate with jacketed bullets, but cast bullets are more scattered, bullets hardness variations maybe? you can get database updates from them without upgrading the software to new version and get access to more bullets and powders that have been modeled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Make my day View Post
    Quickload is a great program, but an estimator, remember just like data from load books, start lower and work up. I have found it to be quite accurate with jacketed bullets, but cast bullets are more scattered, bullets hardness variations maybe? you can get database updates from them without upgrading the software to new version and get access to more bullets and powders that have been modeled in.
    Do you happen to have a link for the *.bul files (and/or powders) for the updates, or are these available only on cd rom?
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Boolit Grand Master

I went to buy the program yesterday. Found out it's only available on CD. I don't understand this since it's 2014. I have an Ultrabook w/ no CD drive so looks like I'm SOL since you can't download it like every other program out there.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast