Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Master

Question Trail Boss Again...

Since I last posted a few months ago, I have acquired 5 pounds of Trail Boss—I love it!!!

I use the 70% formula and that is the starting charge so I start at or a bit below that and increase by small increments until I reach the base of the seated boolit—not one problem yet with straight wall or bottle neck cases…

Yet, the published data doesn’t even come close the charges calculated by the 70% rule…

A person on another site adamantly says the 70% rule is not safe. He indicates that QL predicts very high pressures. But, if Trail Boss is not on QL how can this be said?...

It seems that Trail Boss will not be on QL? Or has someone figured out how to “substitute” a different powder?...

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master

Talking

I was told that Trail Boss is in the latest version of Quick-Load.

Do a Google Search for:"quickload trail boss"
    There is a forum site (should be the first one that shows up). Look in the "reloading software" section and look for the thread "QL and the 'new' powders"

The Trail Boss data is given by H Broemel who I believe is the owner of Quick Load.

You can copy and paste that line into the powder file using notepad and add spaces to get the format right.

He also says in another thread that the 70% rule is good to use, but if you fill the case to 100% the pressures vary widely and while still safe, will lead to inconsistent velocities.

Mine has no reference to SR 4759 or ETR7. I use Green Dot for ETR7 and it seems to work ok. Any recommended substututes?
    Last edited by hicard; 08-22-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy

Good start, but can we go further?

I appreciate this thread, as a way to share information about QuickLoad. Thanks Dromia for starting it, and thanks moderators/admin for allowing it to continue.

I'm a QL user, and really like the program. I also use a few other programs for exterior ballistics, and some others for keeping track of my loads and inventories.

Seeing the traffic on this thread, do you think that we could have a forum for "Reloading Software"? That way we could have threads for different software. I think that such a forum would be well supported. The only down side that I can see is that it would have to be monitored for copyright problems. I think that we're all old enough to know that software and eye patches don't make a good combination!
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Master

Talking

I had to get a new QuickLoad disc as my new computer is 64bit vs 32bit and the new disc does have TrailBoss included.

Banned
    I have an old version 2.9 and like it a lot. It wont do shot shells, can the newer versions that?

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar52.htm This is a good articel about quickloads.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

could you guys check this out to see if i am doing something wrong.I set up a load for my 45-70- marlin. Rcbs 45-405-fn. 48gr Reloader 7. Quick loads is saying this is generating 58266 chamber pressure. A smilar load in handloader mag Aug 2007 #248 list a load of 52gr Rel 7 and the same bullet as being under 43500 cup.Quickloads says its 77266 . whats going on???
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Something's very wrong here. I checked your data, and also ran your load with a slightly slower powder (N200) and the numbers are still way up in the red. Either the Handloader mag has a serious error or you misread the data, and it should be Reloader 17 instead of Reloader 7.
    Using Reloader 17 the numbers look a lot more normal; 30.000 psi for a 52 grains load.
    Cap'n Morgan

In load books RCBS 45-405FN bullet it list 46-48gr Rx7 This is under loads for the Marlin 1895. I double checked Handloader Mag. and it is RL-7 52gr. The name of the book I am using is "The complete reloading manual for the 45-70 Government." I'm beginning to think this is a glitch in "quickloads" for Rx7.

I'm beginning to think this is a glitch in "quickloads" for Rx7.
    It could very well be. I tried running the numbers for Vihtavuori N130 to compare with their manual. The manual listed 49.7gr as a max load for a 400gr Speer bullet, and I had to reduce the Quickload load to 46.7gr to match the speed, even though the Vihtavuori manual is using Remington cases which has less capacity than the QL standard case.

(Safety warning about 45-70 case capacity):
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,80939.0.html

Well, at least QL errs to the "good" side. Better safe than sorry. Also bear in mind that seating depth has a dramatic influence on pressure with a relative fast powder, like Reloader7. Seating the bullet just 0.15 deeper will raise the pressure 25%!
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    . Also bear in mind that seating depth has a dramatic influence on pressure with a relative fast powder, like Reloader7. Seating the bullet just 0.15 deeper will raise the pressure 25%!

i have always wondered about this

if a boolit has room to move forward before encountering resistance in the rifling, why would a minor adjustment make such a large difference.

I can see the exponential effect of seating down onto the powder such as a round ball and 2gr bulleye in a 38sp case...

but if the case if full, and you compress it by force, that does not seem to generate a warning of extreme pressure increases.

are there some powders that are very prone to this phenomena? are all relatively "Fast" for cartridge powders alike in this area?

454 casull min/max

I'm going to try H110 with some 45-325-rnfp-gc (.452). the mould (I think) is 452651, but not sure (thats the number on the invoice)....

I am loading this for a Taurus Raging bull 5.5". I'm using CCI 450s primers...

In both of my reloading books, I can't find anything exactly for this... there are some that are close weight wise... but nothing for cast....

Can I get a good starting point/MAX?

If there is any more info needed please let me know and I'll update...

Thanks again....

edit: I'm going to purchase this software monday.... is there a link with some good info regarding it someone can recommend? Or should I just go with the instructions that come with it....

Boolit Buddy
    When you buy QL, does it come to you on a cd ? If it does, when the new version come out, do you download the up dates, and if you do, does that update bring your QL version up to the new one? From reading all the threads in this post, I have seen that QL comes out with a new version every once in a while?
    Thanks
    G

Has anyone used this before? Like dislike? It's a bit cheaper than quickload, and says it does more... im going to try the eval and see how I like it...

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ballistics.htm

Moderator Emeritus
    Seems to be apples and oranges as it is predominantly an external ballistics programme.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus

RSI is a very different animal. The internal ballistics portion is done using a chrono and a strain gauge so it is built around results rather than predictive analysis like QL. Certainly nothing wrong with that approach and a very useful tool set, but at $730 for the complete setup sans laptop in order to run that module, it isnt cheaper than QL, and it won't do "What if?" scenarios without shooting them to find out.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Seems to be apples and oranges as it is predominantly an external ballistics programme.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    RSI is a very different animal. The internal ballistics portion is done using a chrono and a strain gauge so it is built around results rather than predictive analysis like QL. Certainly nothing wrong with that approach and a very useful tool set, but at $730 for the complete setup sans laptop in order to run that module, it isnt cheaper than QL, and it won't do "What if?" scenarios without shooting them to find out.
    After some more reading, and using that demo... it is definitely NOT an internal ballistic "Prediction" program... in fact it says so at the beginning of install.... it says they are "Un-safe"

Anyway, back to the plan of buying the QL software....

I've found that many powders are close to actual results but when you get into higher charges and compressed loads it starts to vary and not be as accurate.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast