Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Moderator Emeritus

Quickload thread

Any Quickload users out there?

If so how do you fancy starting a Quickload thread?

If there is interest we could make it a sticky, discuss the finer points of the software as regards Cast Boolits.

For me its one of the best reloading purchases I've ever made.

Anyone got or upgraded to V 3.5 from V 3.4? Is the upgrade worth the ten squids?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased Quickload. It's been useful, and I'm still learning. But I've had an issue.

Do any of you guys know if you can go back in and fine tune a load with real chrony data? I've found a couple of instances where it's pretty far off base. It really led me astray with heavy cast boolits in the .450 bushmaster. The model looked pretty good using the Hornady factory FTX's, and tracked the chrony data pretty well. Next, it was estimating about 10% higher velocities than I recorded for the Nosler 250 JHPS.

Thinking I had a handle on it I measured up my 300 grain boolits, adjusted the program and used the data to load a load work up. The starting load clocked 10% higher than what the model predicted for the max load. Whoops! I wound up pulling 50 rounds.

I can't get the model to even get close to predicting that velocity without adding 10,000 psi to the start pressure and dropping the case h2o capacity by 5 grains. So for now, Quickload is not real useful for the predicting Boolit loads in that cartridge. Any way of adjusting things to get closer to reality?
    BD

Boolit Master

dromia,

It looks like it may be a good idea as you ahve one question already. I am not a user or owner but will read what comes up.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I recently purchased Quickload. It's been useful, and I'm still learning. But I've had an issue.

Do any of you guys know if you can go back in and fine tune a load with real chrony data? I've found a couple of instances where it's pretty far off base. It really led me astray with heavy cast boolits in the .450 bushmaster. The model looked pretty good using the Hornady factory FTX's, and tracked the chrony data pretty well. Next, it was estimating about 10% higher velocities than I recorded for the Nosler 250 JHPS.

Thinking I had a handle on it I measured up my 300 grain boolits, adjusted the program and used the data to load a load work up. The starting load clocked 10% higher than what the model predicted for the max load. Whoops! I wound up pulling 50 rounds.

I can't get the model to even get close to predicting that velocity without adding 10,000 psi to the start pressure and dropping the case h2o capacity by 5 grains. So for now, Quickload is not real useful for the predicting Boolit loads in that cartridge. Any way of adjusting things to get closer to reality?
    BD
    Yep informing the programme with real life values is the key methinks to the programmes potenial. So long as you've got the boolit data, case capacity and cross ectional bore area right then for small variations you can correct with shot start pressure and the weighting factor can adjust to make accurate predictions on known velocity.

I'm currently working with reduced loads, less than 5 gns fast powder with a 120 gn boolit in .303 British. QL currently predicts 100-200 fps over actual, on a 800-900 fps round this is a lot.

I think the low loading density is affecting the powder burn rate/efficiency so I need to do some fiddling with the powder speccy BA rate etc.

Any advice would be welcome, going to set a a good day aside to reread and mine the handbook on this.

Complicated I know but I love it.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I've been wondering about Quickload so if you do get a thread going, I'll be reading to decide if I want it for myself. BTW are there any other similar programs available?

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Moderator Emeritus
    When I looked at programmes a couple of years ago there was nothing else in the QL league.

There are some free, good basic ballistic software out there.

There is a reasonable QL critique here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/Quickload.html

Pukka Bundhooks

Moderator Emeritus

Got it, Use it, Love it - welcome a discussion thread on it.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

I'm using v3.3. I love it. I wish it had data for IMR pistol/shotgun powders and WSF. OTOH, I have too many different powders already without being tempted to buy a bunch of one-pounders of IMR's.

For WSF powder, I use Herco data and keep it fairly conservative.

Great idea for a thread. I've been wondering why QL doesn't post a page for known bugs or modeling errors.

For example, the 9.3x57 is listed having a weight factor of 0.5, but it probably more like a 0.7, being that it doesn't have much of a bottle neck.

When I can't find a cast bullet in the listing, I pick a jacketed RN of the same weight and plug in a starting pressure of 1160 psi. Is that reasonable?

Nels

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsdou44 View Post
    When I can't find a cast bullet in the listing, I pick a jacketed RN of the same weight and plug in a starting pressure of 1160 psi. Is that reasonable?
    I do the same thing. Seems to work.

Moderator Emeritus
    OK stickied, lets se how it goes.

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    A couple of questions:

How do you judge the meniscus to get the case capacity in H2O? I can vary that on a big straight wall case by 2 grains easy. I tried filling a case until it overflowed, but i get a different meniscus every time. is there some standard?

Any good ideas on getting an accurate bore cross sectional area?

Thanks,
    BD

Boolit Master
    i add cases and volume by my own sorted lots.
    i take real world data and adjust things till they produce my known data.
    powder can be overridden.
    i add my cast boolits with data from similar jacketed.

most of my cast are h2o dropped ww...so i use 2450 as a start pressure( typically on the lands)

my issue with ql is its constant failure to move my added data when doing updates.

i have been using it for years.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    How do you judge the meniscus to get the case capacity in H2O? I can vary that on a big straight wall case by 2 grains easy. I tried filling a case until it overflowed, but i get a different meniscus every time. is there some standard?
    Have you tried using soapy water? Reduce the surface tension.

Has anyone tried modeling SR 4759 powder in QL? Or is there a powder in the QL database one can approximate the performance of 4759?

Nels

Boolit Master
    Can somebody with quickload run some numbers for me?

.22 hornet or k-hornet

80gr boat tail- matchking, a-max, VLD....or whatever is availible

Target velocity- 1050fps & then also the theoretical max velocity without exceeding saami specs.

Not to picky about powers, just wondering how possible this is.

thanks

Dan
    Some where between here and there.....

For a K-Hornet 2 grains of Unique behind a Match King should get you there. As for the max velocity it very much depends of the OAL of the round. 1700 fps in a 20" barrel should be within reach - Quickload estimates 1715 fps at 42000 psi using 5.6 grain Blue Dot and a OAL of 1.8" But remember! This is an ESTIMATED pressure!
    Cap'n Morgan

Does Quick Load take into account differences in neck tension?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I finally broke down and bought it today. I've been thinking about it for quite a while as I would like to compare it's performance against my Pressure Trace equipment.
    Michael

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    I finally broke down and bought it today. I've been thinking about it for quite a while as I would like to compare it's performance against my Pressure Trace equipment.

I'd be interested in your conclusions Michael.

Pukka Bundhooks

Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast