Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Master

I lost my bullet files!

I've been using QL for cast boolits, and downloaded the noe boolit file. I tried to find other bullets today and could only get noe boolits. When I search, the only place there is bullet data is in the downloads area. What did I do?

I found the files while searching the computer, but can't open them. When I specify the bullet file in searching for calibers, it says no .bul file found.
    Last edited by tommag; 06-28-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Vendor Sponsor

Where can a fella find some bullet files that have .45 cast boolits listed? I am primarily working with .45 ACP, .45 Colt and .45 Schofield to 23,000psi and would like information for boolits in the 180gr ~ 280gr range.

I guess I could figure out the shank volume and edit a file myself to go with each boolit, is this what users do when they want to add a boolit?

New to QL but not new to math.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quickload thread

I just add my own. I use the BC calculator here if the dimensional drawing doesn't have it: http://tmtpages.com/calcbc/calcbc.htm

This actually reminded me to add the molds I "recently" ordered. Had five NOEs to add. Still have a bunch of Mihec's to add but since he doesn't give you the specs I have to cast w/ them first.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 07-13-2016 at 09:10 PM.

I use my own but NOE has their profiles all in a file ready to install. Just search their forum for it. I believe it was Wiljen that did it?

Boolit Master

Although not quite ready for distribution yet, The new, soon to be released, Version 5 Precision Load Records ~ Ultimate, and Precision Bullet Design ~ Advanced software module upgrades will have the ability to write Quick Load data files for your own personal Firearms, Cartridges, Bullet and Powder inventories.

I have finished the Software Upgrades and am working every day to complete the installation and distribution packages, so please be patient.

These images are a preview of what is coming soon.

Last edited by Tom Myers; 07-14-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    I use my own but NOE has their profiles all in a file ready to install. Just search their forum for it. I believe it was Wiljen that did it?
    I did find the noe.bul file and downloaded it. I copied their .45 caliber listings into a custom .bul file that opens in QL showing Lee, Lyman, and NOE .45 caliber cast boolits. Is there one for Saeco I wonder?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    I've been using QL for cast boolits, and downloaded the noe boolit file. I tried to find other bullets today and could only get noe boolits. When I search, the only place there is bullet data is in the downloads area. What did I do?

I found the files while searching the computer, but can't open them. When I specify the bullet file in searching for calibers, it says no .bul file found.
    If they aren't located in the proper directory, the program won't find them. On Windows 10 it put them in C:\Users\Public\Documents\QuickLOAD\data\bullets so if your .bul files are not in the bullets folder at the end of that path statement, it won't find them. THIS is where it puts them if you choose to install it for all users to access. If you installed it for only you to have access to it, the path statement will be different and you have to find where it put the bullets folder and move your .bul files into that folder.

Boolit Master
    Thanks DougGuy! I found them and got it to open.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Vendor Sponsor

Saving bullet files in QL v3.9

Using the "Add New or Delete Data" function I can manually add in new bullets with their proper dimensions, and the program saves them each time you click "Add New" down at the bottom.

Then, when I open these files in the main window "Selected Bullet" screen, it changes the seating depth and bullet length seemingly at random. If I correct the data, tell it Apply&Calc, and then change to another bullet, it does not remember the seating depth that I had used with this bullet earlier. I have two entries for LBT 250gr WFN boolits with different weights, different lengths, different seating depths, one is PB and the other GC. If I change back and forth between these two, it tries to assign whatever values I left in the seating depth, bullet length entries to each bullet.

The Selected Bullet chart is covered on p.59 in the manual, the manual explains what each function does but it does NOT tell you how to do it! There is no "save" function for the data that is visible in the selected bullet screen that I can see. I cannot get the program to open the same bullet file with the information I entered. If I change the bullet length, the program automatically changes the seating depth. If I correct the seating depth, when I open this same bullet file again the seating depth is wrong. Very frustrating. Not covered in the manual or any tutorials that I can find.

Boolit Bub
    Doug Guy- I use a lot of different brands of brass per caliber, each with it's own case capacity, and corresponding over all length. The overall length is in the case file for that particular brand of brass not the bullet file, (on the Max Cartridge Length line). So if you use "brand X" brass as a basis for your workup the computer will always use that max case length for its calculations, and adjust seating depth accordingly. If using only one brand of brass, and using different bullets/ boolits, you can use an identifier when creating a case file ie. (.375 H&H Winchester-1, or 2, 3, ect) Also you'd need to do the same for each one of the 250 WFN's. I hope that will solve your problem.
    bushman

Vendor Sponsor

So, not only do I need to create an entry in the .bul file for each boolit, but when I call this data up and input it into the cartridge window, I need to save that cartridge data as a separate .vol file for each boolit in the calibers directory? Thanks for the help, I couldn't figure out the exact steps as it acted like it wanted to overwrite an existing file.

Edit: Newp. QL stubbornly inputs it's own Seating Depth after saving the active cartridge data.

If I tell it save active cartridge data, it wants to save as a .vol file in the calibers directory. If I tell it to load a saved cartridge file it looks in a different directory for a file with a .dat extension. Somebody ain't crossing the T's and dotting the I's.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-26-2016 at 06:48 AM.

Boolit Master

DougGuy,

QuickLoad does not "input a seating depth" as such. The Seating depth is a calculated value that uses the Bullet Length, Case Length and Cartridge Length values.

Case Length - Cartridge Length + Bullet Length = Seating Depth.

The Bullet Length value is, of course stored in the bullet record and likewise, the Case Length and Cartridge Length values are stored in the selected Cartridge Record.

After Selecting a bullet and cartridge. you may either edit the Cartridge Length and Case Length values in the edit windows or select another cartridge record with the correct Cartridge Length and Case Length values

Multiple Cartridge records may be stored that contain your various combinations of cartridge trim-to and OAL lengths for each caliber.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 07-26-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Vendor Sponsor

Well, LOL... I tell ya.. This is the WORST program I have ever worked with as far as having to LEARN it's idosyncracies and work around them. TOTALLY ILLOGICAL.

I have created and edited a .bul file and input specific information for each style boolit.

I have called up that boolit and edited the information in the cartridge window, paying particular attention to CARTRIDGE LENGTH, and letting QL do the math and arrive at the proper seating depth, then saving the active cartridge file and giving it a specific name.

Then calling up the boolit from the boolit file, the COA and seating depth are NOT what I saved, I open an existing cartridge file, which I can tell is correct by the individual name I assigned it, and of course QL has chosen it's OWN COA, OWN Seating Deoth, which is NOT what I saved with ANY of the files.

I am what I would call very computer literate, having A+, Network+, Server+ certifications, went through Inet+, LPI Linux, could have very easily had a MCSE Microsoft Certified System Engineer certification, and this software has got me PULLING MY HAIR OUT trying to figure out how it arrives at some of the data it retrieves when you choose a bullet or cartridge b/c it is NOWHERE NEAR what I *thought* I had saved.

Every time I open a file that was saved, the Cartridge Length is different than what was saved. 4x now I have input data and saved it, 4x QL comes up with a different Cartridge Length. Which of course affects the seating depth. It will NOT SAVE the Cartridge Length that was in the Cartridge Length field when I saved the active cartridge file.

Just trying to figure out how to store what is shown in the cartridge window at the upper left, so that I can call that window back up and the data is all there like it was when I saved it. So far, brick wall = 4 DougGuy's head = 0.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-26-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Well, LOL... I tell ya.. This is the WORST program I have ever worked with as far as having to LEARN it's idosyncracies and work around them. TOTALLY ILLOGICAL.

I have created and edited a .bul file and input specific information for each style boolit.

I have called up that boolit and edited the information in the cartridge window, paying particular attention to CARTRIDGE LENGTH, and letting QL do the math and arrive at the proper seating depth, then saving the active cartridge file and giving it a specific name.

Then calling up the boolit from the boolit file, the COA and seating depth are NOT what I saved, I open an existing cartridge file, which I can tell is correct by the individual name I assigned it, and of course QL has chosen it's OWN COA, OWN Seating Deoth, which is NOT what I saved with ANY of the files.

I am what I would call very computer literate, having A+, Network+, Server+ certifications, went through Inet+, LPI Linux, could have very easily had a MCSE Microsoft Certified System Engineer certification, and this software has got me PULLING MY HAIR OUT trying to figure out how it arrives at some of the data it retrieves when you choose a bullet or cartridge b/c it is NOWHERE NEAR what I *thought* I had saved.

Every time I open a file that was saved, the Cartridge Length is different than what was saved. 4x now I have input data and saved it, 4x QL comes up with a different Cartridge Length. Which of course affects the seating depth. It will NOT SAVE the Cartridge Length that was in the Cartridge Length field when I saved the active cartridge file.

Just trying to figure out how to store what is shown in the cartridge window at the upper left, so that I can call that window back up and the data is all there like it was when I saved it. So far, brick wall = 4 DougGuy's head = 0.
    What if the author of the program is not?
    It is designed as he wants it not as you would like it to be.
    I'll bet if you fork over some $$$ he will make a version that fits you 100%.

Maybe Load From A Disk is more to your liking?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    What if the author of the program is not?
    It is designed as he wants it not as you would like it to be.
    I'll bet if you fork over some $$$ he will make a version that fits you 100%.

Maybe Load From A Disk is more to your liking?
    Talk about a passive aggressive response for no reason at all.

Quickload is not a very user friendly program. Especially by today's standards. I am proficient enough using it. But there is a steep learning curve. A lot of things aren't where you would expect them to be.

Vendor Sponsor

What I need it for is data that isn't in ANY manual. 45 S&W Schofield loads to 23,000psi. I have a 45 S&W case, .45 Schofield, and I have 15 different boolits for it compromising a weight range from 150 to 265 grains. The case length remains constant at 1.098" and so I am only working with one cartridge.

Finally stumbled on yet a 3rd table that can be edited in QL that will allow separate data to be stored with a unique filename that appears it may save the data that I input and recall it on a cartridge by cartridge basis. So you have bullet data in a .bul file, caliber data in a .vol file and cartridge data in a .dat file which can all contain the same exact data, yet only the .dat file actually saves the edited parameters. Would be nice if the documentation included with the program would explain how and where it saves data instead of instructing the user how to create a new bullet or cartridge file only to find the program does not save the data unless it is edited into xxxx file.

After a week of beating my head against the proverbial brick wall, I have FINALLY arrived at the point I can call up the cartridge with one of 15 boolits I saved, and run it through a range of one type of powder, and save the output to a .txt file, then change to a different powder, run the new powder through a range of charge weights, and save this output to a .txt file.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-26-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Master

DougGuy,

When I first used the software, I believe I was having the same problem.

Just to make sure. Are you entering a new cartridge case by first selecting the menu item at the top left of the form titled. "Data Add, Change Load Save"?
    Then select " Case / Caliber Data > Change data records in active file"?

This will bring up the cartridge module where you can enter the cartridge case data. BE SURE TO click the "Add New" button.

When I first started using the program, I was having the same problem. I was not clicking the "Add New" button.

Again enter "Data Add, Change Load Save"?
    Then select " Projectile / Bullet Data > Change data records in active file".
    The bullet data module will appear. Enter the bullet data and BE SURE TO click the "Add New" button.

Now go back to Selected Cartridge section and click on the little down arrow. Go all the way to the bottom of the files to find your newly enter cartridge case record and select it.

Another problem I had was not searching for the newly entered record at the bottom end of the list.

Next go to the Selected Bullet section and find your newly entered bullet record. It may be all the way to the bottom of the listed files.

(The next time you open the Quickload program these records will be arranged in their proper place in the list.)

your selected cartridge and bullet values will appear and the seating depth will be calculated.
    It always works for me every time.

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks Tom, Yep, I got it all working now where it saves the cartridge data. I made SURE all my boolit files were synced too so the length and weight and everything was the same in all places you could add or store that data.

One thing I did was to copy off all the factory installed files and renamed them to .old and I copied just the lines of txt out of them that coincided with the cartridge and boolits I was using. So my whole .vol file is only 45 Schofield loads and no other entries. My whole .bul file is ONLY the 14 boolits I have to use with this cartridge. The entire powder file is ONLY the powders I have on hand that will be used in the Schofield tests. Basically I stripped away everything that didn't pertain to the Schofield loads. I can always put back the original files, or simply add lines from them if I want to load a different cartridge. This way the program CAN'T revert to the default file it opens with, and I caught it doing that once too, so after my frustrating experiences the first week, I have learned to keep a .txt file with all my boolit data in there so I can check right away when I change to a new boolit and make sure it has the correct COA and seating depth. So far, it is behaving nicely.

I was able to make 170 entries for the 45 Schofield cartridge, 15 boolits and 12 powders, boolit weights ranging from 150gr to 265gr. For each boolit, there are 12 different powder files that run from -20% to +10% and run up to 23,000psi pressures which is what the medium framed Vaquero is rated for.

This may be excessive, but it will let me look over the data and see if there is a pattern of efficiency and sorta gather which loads might have the most promise so I don't have to load and test every single one. I want to take the most promising loads and chrony these and shoot them for group.

I probably don't have the QL data dialed in as close as I could, I am sure there are things in there that I missed. I also went back and ran the light weight boolits with reduced powder charges and saved those as a lite version of the boolit, mouse fart loads and target loads. Before I load any of those I will go and check some manuals and make sure I am not going a mile below suggested minimum starting weights.

This is the .txt file I keep open on the desktop so I can visually check it against what the program shows whenever I select a new cartridge or boolit:
    ".452, 150, Magma 150 RNFP___________________COA 1.315" BulletLength .417" BulletWeight 153gr SeatingDepth .200"
    ".452, 185, Magma 185 RNFP___________________COA 1.398" BulletLength .500" BulletWeight 191gr SeatingDepth .200"
    ".452, 200, Magma 200 RNFP(BB)_______________COA 1.393" BulletLength .545" BulletWeight 205gr SeatingDepth .250"
    ".452, 200, LEE 452-200-RF____________________COA 1.348" BulletLength .525" BulletWeight 212gr SeatingDepth .275"
    ".452, 230, Magma 230 RN(BB)_________________COA 1.428" BulletLength .670" BulletWeight 233gr SeatingDepth .340"
    ".452, 235, MAGMA 235 LSWC(BB)_______________COA 1.405" BulletLength .632" BulletWeight 235gr SeatingDepth .325"
    ".452, 242, LYM LSWC 452423(HP)_______________COA 1.408" BulletLength .650" BulletWeight 242gr SeatingDepth .340"
    ".452, 246, LBT WFN-PB________________________COA 1.423" BulletLength .600" BulletWeight 246gr SeatingDepth .275"
    ".452, 250, LYM LSWC 452423___________________COA 1.418" BulletLength .660" BulletWeight 250gr SeatingDepth .340"
    ".452, 250, LBT WFN-GC________________________COA 1.428" BulletLength .620" BulletWeight 253gr SeatingDepth .290"
    ".452, 255, LEE 452-255-RF_____________________COA 1.368" BulletLength .635" BulletWeight 251gr SeatingDepth .365"
    ".456, 260, LYM RNFP 454190____________________COA 1.463" BulletLength .690" BulletWeight 260gr SeatingDepth .325"
    ".452, 260, DEER GRENADE LSWC-GC-HP___________COA 1.421" BulletLength .748" BulletWeight 261gr SeatingDepth .425"
    ".452, 265, Ranch Dog 265 LFN-PB________________COA 1.476" BulletLength .678" BulletWeight 267gr SeatingDepth .300"
    This is the ENTIRE .bul file that I use for the Schofield loads, the default .bul files are renamed so the progran won't open them:

; User is responsible for any application of this data. Data may be
    ; changed without any notice. ICAO BCs.
    ;File of HORNADY(TM) bullets. For use with QuickLOAD/QuickTARGET only.
    ; Data used by permission of Hornady Mfg.Co. P.O.Box 1848, Grand Island, NE 68802; www.hornady.com.
    ; Any other use without expressed written consent is prohibited.
    ; User is responsible for any application of this data. Data may be
    ; changed without any notice. BCs are taken from published data.
    ;Revisited 30-JAN-16
    " 37 [bullet]"
    ".452, 150, Magma 150 RNFP_____________ ","153",".417","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 185, Magma 185 RNFP_____________ ","191",".500","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 200, Magma 200 RNFP(BB)_________ ","205",".545","9.70","11.48",".89","G1","2",".452 ",".090",".090","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 200, LEE 452-200-RF_____________ ","212",".525","","","","G1","",".452",".140",".14 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 230, Magma 230 RN(BB)__________ ","233",".670","8.43","11.48","1.52","G1","2",".45 2",".090",".090","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 235, MAGMA 235 LSWC(BB)________ ","235",".632","8.43","11.48","1.52","G1","2",".45 2",".090",".090","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 242, LYM LSWC 452423(HP)________ ","242",".650","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 246, LBT WFN-PB________________ ","246",".600","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 250, LYM LSWC 452423___________ ","250",".660","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 250, LBT WFN-GC________________ ","253",".620","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 255, LEE 452-255-RF_____________ ","251",".635","","","","G1","",".452",".210",".21 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".456, 260, LYM RNFP 454190____________ ","260",".690","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 260, DEER GRENADE LSWC-GC-HP___ ","261",".748","","","","G1","",".452",".090",".09 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    ".452, 265, Ranch Dog 265 LFN-PB________ ","267",".678","","","","G1","",".452",".140",".14 0","","","","","","","","","","8"
    Excuse the fact that pasting text won't keep the spaces in the lines.. I don't know if I got this right, this seemed like the best way I could use the program is by making files specific to the loads I am working on right now and removing all the other entries by renaming them. It seems to remove a LOT of the scrolling and almost 100% of the confusion when trying to sort through some of the data.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-27-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Bub
    DougGuy- Sorry, Tom explained it better than I could.
    bushman

Boolit Man
    I'm sure this has been asked 100 times but.. I am doing a wildcat based on the 6X45. I want to save the file changes specific to the case length and case capacity etc. and I want to name it, let's say, 6 MM Whacker and have it in my pull down cartridge listings along with the other hundreds available. How can I do that?

Any help would be appreciated as I've been fighting this silently for months,

Greg.
    The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast