Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Does Quick Load take into account differences in neck tension?
    Long time, but still unanswered. QL has a parameter: "Shot Start (Initiation) Pressure (PSI)". Manual contains recommended values for the parameter in various conditions. You can always measure exact force that bullet is crimped using, e.g. floor scale and a press, and divide it by bullet cross-section area to obtain matching value for the pressure, which you can put into the program.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    YSo long as you've got the boolit data, case capacity and cross sectional bore area right then...
    How are you measuring bore cross sectional area? I know 3 different ways to measure case capacity but haven't been hit by the clue bat when it comes to the bore cross sectional area! I'd appreciate any clues for sure!

Boolit Mold
    I found the bore cross sectional calculator today. The icon with the calipers measuring the case opens up the case information table and next to the cross-sectional bore entry is a button to open up the bore calculator. There is a case calculator just below it too.

Boolit Master

10 mm auto saami spec is WRONG in ql

my version of ql(3.2) has the max press for the 10 mm auto at 327575 psi.....that woul dbe about 10 times the real presure....
    cip is correct,

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I have Quickload V.3.4 and the 270 Ackley Mag has a maximum case capacity overflow of 74 gr H20.

That compares to the QL listing of 270 Win at 67 gr H20
    That compares to the QL listing of 264 Win Mag at 82 gr H20
    That compares to the QL listing of 7mmRemMag at 82 gr H20
    That compares to the QL listing of 270 Weath. Mag at 82 gr H20
    That compares to the QL listing of 280 Ack Imp at 74 gr H20

------------------------------------------
    Meanwhile Donnelly's 'The Handloader's Guide to Cartridge Conversions" 1987 shows:
    270 Ackley Magnum 74.04 gr H20
    270 Winchester 67.39 gr H20
    270 Winchester Improved (Ackley) 67.98 gr H20

---------------------------------------------
    Ackley "Handbook for shooters and relaoders Vol 1" 1962

270 Ackley Magnum is pictured as a belted magnum

------------------------------------------------
    What does it all mean?
    I think Quickload got the 270 Ackley Improved mixed up with teh 270 Ackley Magnum, because Donnelly did.

Does Quickload have any data for IMR Trailboss?

Data for this powder is very scarce,
    but due to the fact that it burn very cleanly and can be used in multiple cast boolit calibers
    this may be very good for the cast boolit community.

Boolit Buddy
    The burn characteristics of Trail Boss vary a lot depending on the percent case fill. So it is nearly impossible to come up with good values that can be used with QL. The best thing to do is run a series of velocity tests with increasing powder charge and then graph the results. This needs to be done for each ctg and bullet. What you will find is that the velocity will usually peak between 85% and 100% fill (in a straight walled case). Adding more powder after that point will reduce the velocity (the curve will roll over).
    People sometimes tell me they dont own guns because guns are too expensive. I tell them guns dont cost anything. They are essentially another form of currency.

Hi rickster
    Thanks for the quick reply.

the problem I have is that most suggested loads from IMR / ADI-Thales websites are way low velocity loads.
    I am afraid to fill the case up even up to 85% without some concrete pressure calculation behind it.
    I read in this here forum that TB can be filled up to 100% load as long as it is not compressed.
    Yeah.. and I will be placing my nose and limbs near the combustion chamber and I am very fond of my body parts.

Did the new Quickload have TB powder listed on it? anybody got it? can you check?
    I am reluctant to buy just to find out.

Moderator Emeritus
    I've got V 3.4 with the 3.5 update and it doesn't show Trailboss.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Thanks dromia,

So I won't be buying quickload as yet..
    Oh well.. there is always the range and time to shoot and try the loads :P

Boolit Mold
    I don't think your going to ever see Trail Boss in Quickload because how it reacts when it approaches 100% loading density. Here is what the man said about this.

Does anyone know if the Lee boolit C429-240-SWC data can be downloaded somewhere? Perhaps someone could send me the .bul file?

If there is no data for that bullet, what can safely be used as a substitute when simulating?

I'm using QuickLoad 3.2.

Boolit Master
    why not use the lyman 245 swc..and adjust it for your actual boolit(as in add it to the data base)

mike in co

I just got version 3.6. It does not have Trial Boss, 700x, 800x, American Select, and a few older powders.

I looked up some loads for 308 Win and 223 Rem and was puzzled how the data and chart only showed between 1,000 and 1,200 fps. I thought the program had a bug, but then I finally figured out that I had put a barrel length of 4 inches for a revolver on some previous loads. When I changed the barrel length to 20 inches, I got close to the published fps for each round.

I have heard about someone (on the internet) who mistakenly used Accurate #7 powder with data for Allient #7 powder. There is a big pressure difference with these 2 powders. I think it is kinda dumb for one company to name a powder close to the same as another company and not be compatible. For the 444 Marlin, the pressure for 45 gr of Alliant #7 is ~41,000psi, and 120,000psi for 45 gr of Accurate #7. That's almost 3 times the pressure.
    Can you say KABOOOOOM!!!
    Last edited by Marlin Hunter; 03-21-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added missing powders

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Imr 8208

Is IMR 8208 in the V 3.6?

Boolit Buddy
    Living in the woods, foothills of the Appalachians.
    I have a QuickLOAD request... Does anyone's program here have the 50-95 Winchester CenterFire/50-95 Express available? If so,I am despirately in need of some load data.. can anyone help? I have the necessary parameters ready when someone is ready to help. What else do I need besides caliber, bullet weight, powder type, primer type, desired velocity range, and pressure ceiling?

Chapparal 1876 rifle, I have heard that the max pressure should be kept between 22-25k. 26" barrel.
    50-95 Express (WCF)
    515139 Lyman Cast (WW, BHN ~10)
    ~345 grains.
    Id like a smokeless load which keeps velocities between 1300-1500 fps... while not exceeding the max pressures.
    I have heard that suitable powders for this caliber/gun combo are...
    Accurate 2015, IMR3031, Unique, 2400, IMR4759.

Anyone wanna give me a hand? Thanks!
    Last edited by j23; 07-20-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Thinkin' about getting QL myself, but from reading all of the posts, it appears there are many variables that are variable!...

It seems that the ol’ Powley Computer will give loads when IMR powders are being used. I have used it for years, mostly many years (late 60's/early 70's) ago and it worked very well. I used it to develop loads for the 7-30 Waters LONG BEFORE any published data was available. Whether one wishes to substitute powders of similar burn rates is up to the individual. I won’t mention my thoughts on that…

If a person wishes to load a cartridge at a given psi, will it calculate what charge of a given powder will achieve that number?

What version of QL is presently available? And can someone do a “copy and paste” and show all of the powders that are in the QL data base?...

Still pondering the thought of purchasing QL. It appears it might be great, but may have many open ends. The tough questions are what I want it to do. Otherwise, the 30+ reloading books I have, plus the Internet provide all of the info I might need—I think…

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master
    my version has 200 powders....international in listing.( AND I'M SURE I DO NOT HAVE THE CURRENT VER)
    yes you can apporach a pressure, you can set the pressure and search for all powders that will do that pressure.
    you can adjust powder charactersitics to match your lot in your gun.
    simple things like add cases with your volume.......
    well woRth the bucks

mike in co

Boolit Master
    what i do not like about ql is that when an update comes out it does not move any data you added...you have to manually readd it all....

anyone different ????

mik ein co

800x

Can someone PM me the powder file for 800X, it isn't in V3.6.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast