Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    Mine has no reference to SR 4759. Any substututes?
    I would also like any info regarding 4759.

Frank

I love my Quickload I bought it in 2007 I think, I have it on my windows 7 pro now, Im runing the old version.

Boolit Master

I just got Quickload and have been comparing what it says are safe loads compared to published sources. QL's estimates of chamber pressures seem to be excessive. Has anyone noticed this?
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 12-24-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I just got Quickload and have been comparing what it says are safe loads compared to published sources. QL's estimates of chamber pressures seem to be excessive. Has anyone noticed this?
    They are way over for the 10mm.
    For the others you can check them against SAAMI specs here. http://www.saami.org/specifications_....cfm?page=ANSI

I have found them to be quite accurate for the rifle ammo I have tried.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not have Quickload, but I do think that I read in Precision Shooting that the programs author or marketer states that it does not work for straight walled cases without useing some fudge factor.

Someone call NECO who has the program and is a licensed user call and get the straight POOP. We will never solve the problem in gossip.

Boolit Master

I just ordered the newest version. they said it will be here on Wed. I posted in the forum then looked up and found this sticky. Looks like what I want it for the most (big straight wall pistol cartridges) is the biggest problem they have with this program. They are only an hour away from where I live so I guess I will be calling them to get it all figured out.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I'm kind of interested in it for a muzzle loader project. But there is no "case"...but there is a straight walled powder chamber. I have heard of a few folks using it to get some idea what a given powder will do. For some general ideas you can look at swinglock's webpage to see what his rifles do.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Bub
    Good info on the program. I might try it.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    love QL for rifle, as their is a method called the "OBT" (optimum barrel time), Bing is your friend here to learn about it, and it with this method that uses QL to help you dial in loads with whatever bullet your are using... so QL for rifle is fairly accurate and a great tool... have used 4 different rifles to dial in submoa loads with the OBT method, witout having to try 10 billions powders to get it

QL for pistol is NOT to be trusted, imo... i have found QL pistol loads to be all over the map, sometimes it makes sense other times is seems like total nonsense... however, with that being said, QL for pistol is an excellent tool at helping you to find optimal powders for your caliber and bullet...

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy Guys,
    I got a hold of the QL company a year ago or so, i just have some very simple questions, and I never got a strait answer What I would like to know is: When you buy QL I asume it comes to you in a cd or dvd format.When you get it, do you load everything that is on the disk in to your computer or do you only save what I call the Program format, that part of the program ask you to enter the data you have or what it needs and then you insert the disk again so the Program format enters your data into the program, and then it does what you have ask it ? I am not a computer guy, and I don't know the terms that are used and that makes it hard to explain.
    I have one of the small laptop computers that doesn't have a disk drive, the only way to get data in it, is to down load or have the program on a thumb drive, I have real slow internet so download would be out!! But, depending on several factors maybe I could use this laptop and since both are using Windows 7, maybe I could copy the program off of the disk on to a thumb drive?Can you have Q.L. on more than 1 computer?
    I have been trying to find this info for 2 years with NO LUCK. I have AT&T cell, and if someone thinks they have the answers and have the time to call me, just pm me and I can give you my number or get yours??
    Sorry for the long post!
    I would be so great full to know the answers?
    Greg

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    QL comes on a cd disc and you install it from there to your computer... i am sure there is a way to transfer what is on the CD to a flashdrive, but i dont know how to do that

any quickload users want to help me out with a .380? I'm trying to come up with a load for .380acp for a p238. I must load these short for reliable feeding.Col is going to be 0.920" , using ww boolits dropped from a lee 102gr mold sized at .356 and tumble lubed. The only powder I have to do this is hs-6, which has worked great in 9-45-38-357 for me. I found load data on 115 jaktd loaded @.980 with 4-4.5gr of hs-6. Having to load them short and with a lighter lead boolit there were just to many variables to take a shot in the dark on it with such a tiny case. I'm thinking 3.3 gr start and maybe 3.7 gr max, but just don't have all the data I'd like before trying it out. Thanks for your help.

Boolit Buddy
    gcollins there is a way how to do it. I am talking about putting the CD content to a USB stick and pretend virtual CD drive.

Quickload software

Does the Quickload software allow you to enter custom boolits into a database? Is there a better ballistics software than Quickload?

Yes you can enter custom bullets. You can change or add data for everything really, all config files are plain text.

There's no real other game in town for internal ballistics. External ballistics yes, there are plenty of better and more simple calculators imho.

Vendor Sponsor

If you were going to convert an existing cartridge by shortening the case, for instance shorten .45 Colt from 1.285" to 1.160" would it be able to come up with load data? Is there a way that you can change the case capacity in the program for that shorter case?

Kull, those sure are some nice lookin' boolits in your avatar, could you elaborate a bit on those? Caliber/size/weight?

Banned

Yes, you enter case capacity in CCs of water. You can even set different loads for different Brass of the same caliber that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Kull, those sure are some nice lookin' boolits in your avatar, could you elaborate a bit on those? Caliber/size/weight?
    It's not my pic. When I first started researching casting I came across a post in another forum that had that pic and I thought the same thing as you. So I had to steal it and use it for an avatar.

It was cast by a member here, GLL, and here's a larger pic.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    Yes, you enter case capacity in CCs of water. You can even set different loads for different Brass of the same caliber that way.
    Nice.. I'm intent on doing a shortened .45 Colt for use in a New Vaquero .45 ACP that will get rechambered for the custom length brass. I am going to take the .45 Colt case from 1.285" to 1.160" which is the same as .44 Special case length, and I'd like to develop loads using the .45 ACP +P pressure ceiling of 23,000psi, which is what the medium frame Ruger is rated for.

The objective would be to use 255gr to 300gr boolits that are normally used in .45 Colt where it does not depend on the case mouth to headspace, they can then be roll crimped or collet crimped. This would lower the case capacity and raise powder density so that there is more consistent ignition and less standard deviation and none of the hazards associated with downloading the .45 Colt case to mid level velocities and pressures. It will be called the .45 Ruger Special.

Most of the loads for this conversion would generate higher pressures than the SAAMI spec of 14,000psi for standard .45 Colt, so they would likely not be safe in a Colt SAA or S&W or any of the Cowboy SAA clones. Since there is no +P spec for .45 Colt, there is basically a void when it comes to loads that fall between the 14,000psi standard SAAMI spec, and the low end of the Ruger Only load data. This conversion would fill that void with a pleasant shooting pistol that still packs enough punch to hunt deer and bear in the mid-atlantic regions.

Yes I could just load .45 ACP +P but that's limited to headspacing off the case mouth, can't use a roll crimp or collet crimp and many of the traditional boolits wouldn't work too well, in addition pressures for the .45 ACP +P are already near the limit. Yes I could use Schofield brass, but it's 1.100" and .060" shorter than what I'd like. I think the 1.160" case length will be a sweet spot for the heavier boolit.

Shouldn't be a difficult conversion, doesn't involve modifying the gun at all, just have a custom reamer made to rechamber the .45 ACP cylinder, and cut down some brass. I'd like to do this on a Talo New Vaquero .45 ACP, 3 7/8" barrel, should make a fun little project gun.

If anybody gets an urge to do any figuring, and wants to use QL and see what might be some good starting points, go right ahead.

Case length: 1.160"

Boolits: 255gr to 280gr Keith type LSWC .452" - 300gr WFN GC .452" from the Lee C 452-300 mold. I don't need a GC, but I've already got some of them so I'd like to use them.

Hoped for velocity range: 900 - 1100f/s

Just to throw it out there, in case your thinking about buying Quickload....it's not going to be very accurate in the estimated velocity department with revolvers because of the cylinder gap. Also in general it's better with bottleneck cartridges that with straight walled.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast