Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why not make your own jackets?

Boolit Mold
    Barry, check your e-mail

swageall
    LRBC -- One at a time --

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    Barry, 22 RF can indeed make .224 & .243 Jackets, the main issue is that 22 RF jackets are somewhat thinner than conventional jackets, therefore the issue is the toughness of the thicker copper is better...

Making jackets from tubing, or anything else is going to be time consuming, i.e. what you save in purchasing bullets from any manufacturer, you're going to payback in your personal time.

Take Care,

Jim
    Hi Jim:

Yes, I know that 22lr cases can make thin jackets, that is how Vernon Speer got started.

I realize and have stated in this very thread that this is a money loser but that I am not doing it for economy but simply because I am fascinated with the process.

That's why they call them hobbies.

Barry

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

Yes, Barry, well said, with passion and interest! Good Job Sir...

Hee, hee, someone one time when I showed them some of the contraptions I've made called me DANGEROUS! Then when he realized how much control over bullet weight I had, (+/- .1 grains at a time heavier or lighter! ever hear of a 155.3 gr Jacketed Semi-Wadcutter in a .357 Magnum?) he got interested in the idea of tailoring a bullet to a load in the same manner a reloader tailors a load to a rifle...

But that's for another story.

Barry, don't forget about .22 WMR cases, they make nice heavier bullets or perhaps up to .243/.244 diameter.

Keep posting, sir, I'm interested in your progression/progress.

Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung View Post
    Hi Jim:

Yes, I know that 22lr cases can make thin jackets, that is how Vernon Speer got started.

I realize and have stated in this very thread that this is a money loser but that I am not doing it for economy but simply because I am fascinated with the process.

That's why they call them hobbies.

Barry
    Last edited by Jim_Fleming; 07-29-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: splleling?
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterthevet View Post
    You guys may be interested in this link........scroll down page till you see The Bullet Factory pics and check out contents . http://people.aapt.net.au/~nelltash5...2002/index.htm This Aussie made his own bullet forming gear from scavenged material ........very interesting. Cheers Peter
    Hey guys, what would it take to make jackets like they do in this video? Would an arbor press do the job? How would I make the dies for this?
    Also, why do they make cups first, then punch the cups into jackets? Why don't they make the jacket out of the copper disk in one step?
    NO MORE CHANGE!

Boolit Master

I think they are annealed and pickled between drawings.

Boolit Master

They would have to be. Copper gets brittle real fast when being drawn. Forming a cup from a disc really moves the copper around. The edges start checking, then a crack runs from a check. If they were spun, useing some kind of spinning machine, annealing could be minimized, however they would still have to be annealed at some point.
    Somehow, the top of the cup has to be formed from a circle larger than the top of the cup. With a jacket, you cannot fold the copper layer. It will present unreliability upon use.
    There are probably several sizeing steps on the road to makeing a cup.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mac0083 View Post
    Hey guys, what would it take to make jackets like they do in this video? Would an arbor press do the job? How would I make the dies for this?
    Also, why do they make cups first, then punch the cups into jackets? Why don't they make the jacket out of the copper disk in one step?
    An arbor press only pushes in one direction, you need a double acting press because you have to strip the cup off the drawing die.

They don't make it in one step because the punch would tear through the bottom of the cup.

Barry

Boolit Bub
    Love to go and look at the Berger J4 factory, I’ve never got close to their quality!

Has anyone thought of using a roller die?

John
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

Boolit Master

barry,

any news on your project?

yea ive been saving my pennies

pre 1982 pennies that is

Boolit Mold
    Barry...I have a set of 30 cal. dies for turning tubing into jackets if you'd like to take a look at them....I'm just down the road from you in Olympia...Hud

Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Barry...I have a set of 30 cal. dies for turning tubing into jackets if you'd like to take a look at them....I'm just down the road from you in Olympia...Hud
    is there anyway u could post pics of the dies, im working on this project myself !!! thank you in advance !!

Boolit Master

Hud,

I would like to see them also. Might start a new thread though.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    Barry, don't forget about .22 WMR cases, they make nice heavier bullets or perhaps up to .243/.244 diameter.

Keep posting, sir, I'm interested in your progression/progress.
    These days there may be a lot more 17HMR than 22WMR ....should work just as well but maybe an extra step to neck them up ?

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Mold
    Guys...I don't know anything about posting pictures but I do know how to take and email pictures if that will work....but I'll do what ever I can otherwise...Hud

Guys...I don't know anything about posting pictures but I do know how to take and email pictures if that will work....but I'll do what ever I can otherwise...Hud
    if u had the time to email me the pics hud, it would be most appreciated. my add is jixxerbill@yahoo.com thanks....bill

Boolit Mold
    jixxerbill...I believe 303 Guy is going to post them but a copy will be send to you anyway. Glad to do it...Hud

Boolit Master

HUD,

pm sent

Talking

jixxerbill...I believe 303 Guy is going to post them but a copy will be send to you anyway. Glad to do it...Hud
    thank you very much hud for the pics !!! ver helpful... email sent back to you lol thanks...bill

Boolit Bub

Yup, another dead thread revival I know.

Any news on BarryJ's progress? I would think he has enough equipment to put Sierra and Starline out of business by now. I am really interested in this process myself.

By the way anyone have contact info for Larry Blackmon? All his site has is a number, and looks incomplete. I am still deployed so calling isn't so easy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast