Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's the thermostat on my Lyman 61 melter

Boolit Master

fishhawk,

When you get it installed let us know how it goes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Good. I was just concerned about the 550 limit the company describes.
    My guess is that the 550* relates to the ambient temperature around the control, and not the temperature of the pot.

I am fairly sure these are controls, not thermostats. A control works on the duty cycle, turning the power on and off depending on the setting, leaving it on longer when turned up, and not so long when turned down. Our electric blanket works the same way. There is no feedback that a thermostat would need.

(A thermostat measures the temp of the controlled substance - antifreeze in the radiator, for instance - and adjusts something - amount of fluid flow in the case of the radiator - to effect the control. Doesn't happen with our pots, with the possible exception of the RCBS pot - I have heard that it uses an actual thermostatic control.)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

This site is the BEST!!! I've been running my old Model 61 without a temperature control for about 25 years now. Found it in the junkpile of an old gunshop and got it for a song. Gonna finally fix it!

If you're looking for ANYTHING to do with cast boolits, this is the place!

Boolit Bub
    This is great!
    As you can imagine, the temps on my furnace were all over the map. A B200 thermostat arrived from PPE today. I wasted no time getting it installed. It came with a new knob but the shaft is shorter than the OEM. I wound up sanding the bottom of the old one down to the brass insert to fit. Plugged it in and dropped 4 ingots into the well.

Well... The lead did melt but the high temperature was only 700deg. Removed the cover, slid the stop collar off the shaft, and reinstalled the collar 4 splines counter clockwise. Works like a charm.

Thanks guys. The pot was my fathers and I'm glad (with your help) I was able to repair it.
    Our Bill of Rights does not say what we can do....it specifies what government cannot do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12