MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: need opinions on Stoegers

Boolit Master

need opinions on Stoegers

I was looking for a Stevens 311 for CAS I was going to cut it down to 22 or 24 inch
    barrells and install a spring kit. Old Stevens 311 have been going for $250 to $325
    around here. Today I ran across a Stoeger coach gun 20"bbl easy to open and load all ready to shoot for $295 used excellent condition. So my question is how do these shotguns hold up? Any of you guns tried them out ?
    Thanks in advance FB

The Stoegers are not refined and they are very stiff at first but they point quite well (for me) - much better than the Stevens. Both are simple box locks and quite rugged and will give you very good service. I "upgraded" to an SKB for upland a long time ago but the Stoeger shot well and was completely reliable.

Boolit Master
    I have used thier version of the cougar and have been pretty impressed. Finish is not quite the same as what beretta produces but I have heard very little if any mechanical problems.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    I have a Stoeger Over/Under 12 gauge Condor, I like it alot. Just got rid of my Stevens 311 it was a nice shotgun but didnt have much use for it because of the long barrels and 2 3/4" chambers.

I know your looking for opinions on the Coach, cant really help you as I dont have one, but here is a few pics of my Condor.

Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

I have a stoeger coach gun that I've used for many years now in competition. It was used when I bought it, but still pretty tight. I have used the gun heavily and it has done just fine. Much better pointing gun than a Stevens. You will get your money's worth, and then some, with a Stoeger shotgun.

I know many, many people who use them as heavily as I do and the only consistent complaint is that the firing pins sometimes stick. There are solutions for this and there are after-market pins available if one wants to go to the trouble acquiring them. Personally, I've found that using graphite rather than oil clears the problem up.

Now, Stoegers have a definite life span according to many Past National Keyboard Champions. They say the underlug eventually cracks making the gun kaput. There are others who say this issue is avoidable with some kind of timing/tuning incantation. Personally, I got what I paid for a long time ago and would not feel slighted if my gun broke. It doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon. (especially now that there's an SKB on the cart)

I bazillion cowboy shooters can't be wrong -- the Stoeger is an excellent shotgun for the price.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Firebricker, I know that you intend to use the SXS for Cas and will tell you to buy it. If it opens smooth then someone has worked on it already. For the price and all the shooting you will get from it you can't go wrong. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I want to thank you guys for some good advice. I went and picked it up this morning the
    guy at Nortons got me out the door for $294 after tax. The only thing I don't like abought it
    is the automatic safety. I imagine lawyers and insurance make them mandatory.
    FB

First thing cowboys do is disable the automatic safety (while leaving a manual safety option intact). It's a simple matter of grinding down the lever that operates the safety. Most cowboy have done it, so ask at your next match.

b.t.w. that's a very good price.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

Thanks August I was hoping it was something fairly simple. I should have it done on my
    o/u too. FB

I"ve had my used Stoeger for at least ten years and a lot of cowboy matches,and it's till going strong.
    The auto safety is quite easy to convert to manual as others have pointed out.
    One thing to watch out for is the firing pin bushings working loose,they will tie the gun up SOMETHING FIERCE. I tap them with a sharpened BRASS punch before each match...just a tap to ensure that theuy're tight.

YOu're gonna like it !!

Boolit Master

I ran some BP loads through the coach gun. Man that shotgun is fun to shoot. Definately a keeper. They did a nice job on the checkering to it's easy to get a good grip. Now its a
    bazillion + 1 that like Stoeger. FB

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Well I was going to write a new post asking about the Stoegers when I spotted this.

Wednesday I handeled the first Coach & Condor Stoegers I had ever seen. Nice handeling guns & I'm wondering if I would be happy with either for a Dove hunting gun. I would outfit each barrel with an I/C choke, & with the 20" barrels, following the birds should be quick & easy. I guess I'm in saving mode to buy one or the other myself.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick N Bama; 06-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Here's some pic's of my new Boito Miura combo ( Stoeger outback). Comes with 20'' & 28" barrels.I bought it new about six months ago. The new ones are a little different to the old ones (barrels not inter changeable). They are now investment cast. My mate blow his old one up with a double charge. It held together well but made the chamber and locating pins oval (on good to use). So he bought a new one too.Just for the record I won't use his reloads in my gun.I use the 20'' for slugs and with two full chokes it works well. I get 2'' group off hand at 25 meters the only problem is the first barrel shoots 2'' low and the second in bang on.They also make a side by side as well same combo.
    Lead foot;
    Last edited by lead Foot; 07-19-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Sorry couldn't find this pic but here it is in action. here's my mate Ross with an 80kg boar.
    lead foot
    Last edited by lead Foot; 07-19-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Boolit Master

I disabled the auto safety today on the coach gun. It was just like august said one cut or grind and your done. FB