Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Kroil in a boolit mold

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jech View Post
    Molyfilm...please tell me has tried this as a bullet lube!
    Slightly off topic, but I have a question about Moly. I have an old plastic bottle of Molykote brand 'Type Z' that's probably from the 60's. Does anyone know if Moly goes bad with time? I noticed when I looked up Molykote that their new stuff seems to have expiration dates on them, but the one I have doesn't. So is the new stuff different, or are they just trying to get more sales, or what?

I have no experience using Moly on guns, or reloading equipment, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work great, it seems to work great for almost anything else I've used it for, and that's from this 40 some year old bottle of it!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Spra Moly in Mold

I have used spray moly as release agent, I applied then polished with Dremel using nylon or cotton type wheel it sure makes a pretty shiny cavity and works ok, but I can't wait to try this kroil,,,,,,,,,I'm sick thinking how much time I've spent using deagreaser to clean the Kroil from Moulds I've stored.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

I have read a lot about the pros and cons of using Kroil in boolit molds.But I haven't seen any mention of using the Kano product that says it IS a release agent-Parteze.
    "Mold Release - Maximum Release Effect
    Pure silicone compound. Formulated to maximize release effect when
    used on molds. Its extreme anti-sticking properties make release quick and
    complete. Reduces sticking of parts in molds. Used to produce a slick finish which resists dirt. Parteze is highly repellent to oil, water, and is heat resistant."
    Just wondering if anyone has tried this, or compared it to other products???
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

I am convinced the only products a man needs for anything around the house is WD-40, duct tape, Bullplate and Kroil Oil. Next time I need some PAM to spray on the grill to keep them hamburgers from sticking and don't have any, I may try either Bullplate or Kroil Oil.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't use Bullplate. The burgers will slip off of the grill and fall onto the coals.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Is this what I should get? good price?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=137203

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lts70 View Post
    Is this what I should get? good price?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=137203
    That's what you should get but if you order direct from Kano Labs they have a trial offer that includes a free can of Aero-Kroil. The same can sells for $8.00 there.

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Any contact for kano labs, website or phone?

Boolit Grand Master

Good job-Shotman. One man's ignorance is another man's ingenuity

I was casting a few 45 RN bullets from a Lyman mold this evening and both cavities were hanging up. So I put a little Marvel Mystery Oil on a q'tip and dabbed each cavity. Mold was at casting temp. The first few pours the bullets droped wrinkled. Then a few drops were better, then back to bullets sticking. The MMO works great for cleaning barrels, not so good as a mold release agent though.

Boolit Master
    I have been using the Kroil for about eight years now. Started with cleaning my BP cartridge rifles, then everything I shoot with lead. I was very happy to get about thirty aerosol cans recently from my brother. Fine upstanding human being, that EdK from StL is. Free...

Rich

I tried this about a year ago with good results but forgot about it un til last night , I was casting some minne bullets from a mould that always gave me problems and had a round ball mould that I picked up in a trade that was just all gunked up ,I cleaned that one with the kroil then I remembered my casting session with the kroil as a release agent , I cleaned the minne with the kroil and left it in there then started casting ,WOW both moulds worked like a dream balls and minnes just felll out . I am going to use this from now on . Of course with the bullplate lube which is now standard

Boolit Master
    Simply amazing this mythology of Kroil. I would love to jump on the boat but
    the stuff fails me every time with molds. I thought I was being a bit harsh about its
    failings when I only tested in a Lee Six cavity mold so seeing this thread just going
    on forever, I re tested it with my RCBS , Saeco and Lyman all steel molds. Yes bullets drop
    out but they are worthless to use and after 50 pours, I gave up once again on Kroil, had to
    cool down molds , clean them and go back to smoking molds for bullets to drop out nicely.

I don't know how you guys do it but I ain't going to walk the path of Kroil with you any more.

Kroil is good for what it is: penetrating oil. If a oil like this is good insides (inside cavities) of molds, then how come Bull Plate is not ?

No....I won't sign up for Kroil in bullet molds but no doubt, everyone has to learn this lesson the hard way. Be prepared to fail.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Simply amazing this mythology of Kroil. I would love to jump on the boat but
    the stuff fails me every time with molds. I thought I was being a bit harsh about its
    failings when I only tested in a Lee Six cavity mold so seeing this thread just going
    on forever, I re tested it with my RCBS , Saeco and Lyman all steel molds. Yes bullets drop
    out but they are worthless to use and after 50 pours, I gave up once again on Kroil, had to
    cool down molds , clean them and go back to smoking molds for bullets to drop out nicely.

I don't know how you guys do it but I ain't going to walk the path of Kroil with you any more.

Kroil is good for what it is: penetrating oil. If a oil like this is good insides (inside cavities) of molds, then how come Bull Plate is not ?

No....I won't sign up for Kroil in bullet molds but no doubt, everyone has to learn this lesson the hard way. Be prepared to fail.
    A little harsh don't you think considering all of the success that A LOT of people have had. You had problems. I get it. Don't discourage the next guy that might have some good luck. This forum is a great place for info, and I found that the majority are pretty supportive.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Lizard: so we just let a long thread deceive the next guy and let that long thread just keep rolling unchallenged? Is it harsh or is it ethics to throw a flag on the play here?

I am not the only one to have issues with Kroil in molds. I don't think it works as this thread weaves its tale.

But did you read my last sentence ? everyone has to learn this lesson the hard way. Be prepared to fail.

Boolit Mold
    I was starting to think I was the only one who could not get this Kroil in the Mold thing to work... I have tried numerous times only to end up having to thoroughly clean and smoke my mold to get good boolets again. Milprileb: thank you for making me realize that it is not just me.

Talk to 'shotman' on here. He has offered to get your mold casting good and send it back to you if your having troubles Kroiling it yourself.
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

Boolit Master

Works in several of my molds. Does require 'seasoning' though.

I also tried it and had a hard time of it.I finaly gave up and cleaned the mould to get casting again.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast