Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: What size sizing die for 32-40 Winchester?

Boolit Bub

What size sizing die for 32-40 Winchester?

I am attaching two photos of my first cast bullets. I am brand new to casting. A while back I converted my wheel weight collection to ingots. While i had the heat going (turkey cooker and dutch oven), I cast my first bullets with a mold that Carl Lumpkin has made available to me, God bless him. I had the same troubles that most of us do when we start I guess. Main thing being in my case was temperature control of the mold during the casting of the 8-10 bullets I got, that were even close to right. Anyhow, my purpose for casting out of the smelter was to generate some bullets to slug my barrel , of course to see what size die I might need for the "real bullets"when I cast those. I applied STP to the bore of my Marlin 1893, 32-40 and drove the bullet ,in the photo, thru the bore. Very hard to start but after it got going surprisingly easy to force out into the receiver. I used a set of calipers to measure the slug. I don't use the calipers enough to be certain of my measurements but the best I could do resulted in a reading of .323-.324 as casted and .321-.322 after the slugging. The bullets felt out of round. I hope that is a result of my crude casting attempt. The out of roundness that is. Most of the bullets I dropped were frosted, too hot I think. The nose of the slug as you can see didn't fill out but I figured they were good enough for slugging my barrel. I now need to know what size sizing die I need for my rifle. Thanks for any advise you can give. Sorry to be so wordy. Thanks to you Carl Lumpkin for all you have done for me and it has been alot. You 're one great individual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32-40 Marlin slug copy.jpg   32-40 Marlin slug 2 copy.jpg  

Banned

if they are "about 323 or 324 cast size" then a 323 sizer is what i would use.

In Remembrance

+1 on .323. Any out of round that is left will likely be eliminated when the barrel sizes it, and the gas check will be round.

Boolit Master

I'm sizing .321" in my .32/40 and it shoots pretty well./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub
    Where will I find a supplier of the gas checks I need?
    spurgon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by spurgon View Post
    Where will I find a supplier of the gas checks I need?
    spurgon
    Hornady makes for 32 caliber rifle. Midsouth, Midway, and Graf's are the places I check first, in that order.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    With my original .32-40 high-wall barrel I have had good luck with sizing dies labeled all the way from .329-.321. You will probably need to slug the barrel then check the finished product of the sizing die to know what you really have. BTW, I really like moderate (about 13.6 gr loads) of IMR 4759 in .32-40 for a mild recoiling, accurate target load.

Froggie

PS I have had OK success shooting that little GC bullet in this application without its diaper.

Banned

at the bottom of this page there is a group buy log in click on that sign up got to the group buy at the top it says DJ's corner go on there and order up some 32 cal g/c's they are good ones and the price is right.