Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS seating stems

Boolit Master

RCBS seating stems

Does anyone know where I can get seating stems to better fit the nose profile of the boolits that I cast? I am looking for a stem that will fit the Lee 452-200-RF and another custom .357 mold with a 80% meplat. I have RCBS dies.
    Thanks
    Jim

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Contact RCBS and see if they have something. Use hot melt glue or epoxy to custom fit a seater stem to the nose profile of the boolits. Use plenty of lube/grease/release agent on everything you do not want the hot melt or epoxy to stick to.

Seater stems for rn boolits in either caliber would be good candidates. My 2˘
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Bub
    http://www.castpics.net/
    A valuable resource. Look on the left side, click on top punches, click on Lee.
    Terrier

I use hot glue. When I change bullets it is easy to melt the old glue and reform to the new profile.

If you contact RCBS and tell them the nose shape you want to accomodate, they'll send you a seater on their dime.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

August, I did as you suggested and called RCBS.

They have 3 types of seating stem profiles
    1. Round nose
    2. SWC
    3. Wadcutter

They also can make you a custom seating stem if you send in 3 of your cast boolits. When I asked who sold the wadcutter stems the CSR said that she could send them to me. I then asked what the charge was because I was willing to pay. She would have none of that and insisted on sending them to me free. That's why my reloading equipment is RCBS green!

(Economic/Political threadjack warning) - This country would be in much better shape if businesses treated their customers like RCBS does. One thing to remember, WE are the businesses as well as the customers. Treat your customers like RCBS does and watch your business soar.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    OK I will share a quick and easy way to get your seating stem to match your boolit no matter what the original nose shape is or was.

Sneak into the kitchen, being very very careful that SWMBO is not lurking inside, and search the cabinets for Aluminum foil!

Quickly tear off a sheet about a foot wide and run like the wind for the "Man Cave"!

Once hidden take your seating die out of the press and turn the stem all the way up to it's highest position. Now take a small chunk of the foil, about 1 & 1/2 inch square roll it into a ball and insert into the seating die.

Take a loaded round and push the ball gently against the seating stem until it stops moving.

Put the die back in the press and take a loaded round and, if you have the need, set the crimp of the die body where it needs to be on the loaded round.

Now screw the seating stem down until you can use the loaded round to form the foil into a new seating stem. A little beeswax or good hard boolit lube will act as a glue and keep the foil in place for countless number of rounds!

Can't get more custom than that plus it works right away ( no down time for shipping) as long as you can exit the kitchen without being caught!

With the rest of the foil you "liberated" you can make countless foil seating punch's.

Heavy Metal...I've tried for nearly 50 years of reloading to make custom seating stems for my loads. With very few exceptions it's been a frustrating failure. Your method works...Eureka! Many thanks pard. Rodfac

Boolit Master
    Glad to help!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    OK I will share a quick and easy way to get your seating stem to match your boolit no matter what the original nose shape is or was.

Sneak into the kitchen, being very very careful that SWMBO is not lurking inside, and search the cabinets for Aluminum foil!

Quickly tear off a sheet about a foot wide and run like the wind for the "Man Cave"!

Once hidden take your seating die out of the press and turn the stem all the way up to it's highest position. Now take a small chunk of the foil, about 1 & 1/2 inch square roll it into a ball and insert into the seating die.

Take a loaded round and push the ball gently against the seating stem until it stops moving.

Put the die back in the press and take a loaded round and, if you have the need, set the crimp of the die body where it needs to be on the loaded round.

Now screw the seating stem down until you can use the loaded round to form the foil into a new seating stem. A little beeswax or good hard boolit lube will act as a glue and keep the foil in place for countless number of rounds!

Can't get more custom than that plus it works right away ( no down time for shipping) as long as you can exit the kitchen without being caught!

With the rest of the foil you "liberated" you can make countless foil seating punch's.
    Following a simple search, I found the old thread above from back in 06-03-09 with what appears to be some really good / helpful information!

I have recently experienced problems with the seating stem of a RCBS seating die making little cuts / circles on the Lyman 311284 round nose boolit....sounds to me like this little cure should take care of it.

I'm amazed!
    Why in the world didn't I think of this? Apparently it's the most simple of simple solutions.
    I guess it's in the blood to think that there should be something at least moderately technical about this issue.
    As it has so often been said, 'this ain't rocket science'...well, I now think there is more than just a wee bit of truth in that little statement.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post

I know this is a zombie thread but I just found this post.

Thank you! I've been fighting this issue for a while now and I didn't really want to send off for a custom seating stem. I just tried the foil trick, it works!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have the RCBS seater plug that uses the smaller (1/4-28) threaded stem. My buddy turns down a nose out of brass which is then threaded onto the threaded rod. For the threaded rod, I bought a box of socket set screws (1/4-28 x 2"lg) from a local Grainger (they happened to be on clearance).

I can also use a "de-Glocked" 40 S&W brass case which has been drilled and tapped in the primer pocket for the 1/4-28. Fill the mouth of the case with hot melt adhesive as described above. The 40 S&W case is great for either 45LC or 45ACP...YMMV