WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Finally got Model 64 to the range

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Finally got Model 64 to the range

I mentioned a few months ago that I had bought an old S&W Model 64 38 Special. I didn't know about it at the time and thought that it was a nickle plated gun. It is a stainless version of the Model 10 I have since found out.

I got this gun very cheap, $AU200. It is very tight and has sharp corners everywhere. I think it has lived in a holster and hasn't been taken out much.

I finally picked it up and took it to the range today. I took some Federal el cheapo American Eagle ammo to the range and some reloads. The gun shot well. Here is a pic of the first 5 shot group at 17 yards. It was cold and windy and almost dark, my eyes were bleary from the wind and I'm an old fart, so I suppose this is a pretty good group considering. It's a keeper!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Nice to see the windage is right on. That was always my biggest fear buying a fixed sight gun. I have quite a few, and only 1 was ever off, my 2" mod. 64. My old mod. 10 is the blued version of your 64, and was the first "good" gun I ever owned. I still have it. If it's as good as my M10, good luck wearing out your 64.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Thanks, I have to de-horn it, there are sharp bits everywhere. The top right hand of the Smith triggers bite my big fingers and the edges of the hammer and the cylinder latch are very sharp. A bit of judicous stoning and it will be a great gun. I'm 61 and I have three Smiths, a few Colts, a few clones and a whole passel of Ruger SAs, I think someone else willl be wearing them out, but I'll do my best.
    Four Fingers.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Got to agree hard to wear one out. I have a M65 in 357 mag I shoot a lot. The fixed sights on it are pretty much on but it shoots a little high. I'm gessing since mine was a police trade in the front sight is prob set for 125gr and I don't have any moulds lighter than 158gr.
    Four Fingers at least you'll have a lot of fun trying to wear it out I sure am. FB

Super Moderator

Pretty much a cousin to my M67. It's a good shooter, but the K38 is still king of the roost

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    When I went on the force, the 64 was the issue gun for most departments. It's a strong gun and will shoot great. Y'all probably don't want to hear this but the way we were taught to correct the POI on any fixed sight gun was to give it a good rap with a huge chuck of lead. That was per S&W training at the factory. Many a cop would get a blank look on his face when he would see us perform this act. We decided to take them in the back room so that they could not watch. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Mold
    Cajun Shooter,

I have heard this many times before but have never seen it done. Where exactly do you hit it, on the barrel or the frame? Thanks for the help.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Never hit the FRAME!!!! The factory supplied us with a 1 in by 6in piece of round lead for this. You have to have a certain touch to do this. If you Bubba it with a hammer then you have a heavy fishing weight for them swift currents.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet