Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: WTB___a few cores and jackets for 22cal & 6mm

Boolit Mold

WTB___a few cores and jackets for 22cal & 6mm

I just bought a set of B&A 22cal and 6mm bullet making dies. I also have a converted RCBS rockchucker press coming for now! will add a few more presses after I play and get a feel for the process...

I AM LOOKING TO BUY THE FOLLOWING STUFF AS FOLLOWS; 20-25 JACKETS IN 22CAL, 20-25 JACKETS IN 6MM, AND CORES FOR BOTH! I have heard that there are sources out there for ready made cores that are ready to squirt---Anyone have that information?

I am new to this stuff so I am not sure what I need...The below is just a guess! ANY suggestions are more then welcome!

looking to do 22cal in 52-55 gr HP's, so I guess .800"+- jackets and 40-45grain cores?

6mm- .900-1.00" jackets and 50-58gr cores to make 65-75 grainer's,
    I am also interested in a few 1.050"?(whatever appropriate length jacket) to try and make a 80-90gr bullet and see what the dies will do...

I should have the dies and press by the end of the week! I have no idea as to exactly what I need and the above is a guess based on what i have discovered on the web!

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master

I suggest you contact Corbin for your first bullet jackets and cores. They sell in small quantities(250) until you get the process sorted out. Corbin also sells a fairly good "how to" book on bullet swaging. While it focuses mostly on their products, the process is spelled out quite well. I recommend you buy that book and thoroghly read it BEFORE you try anything with your dies! While swaging your own bullets ain't rocket science, you can trash your dies in short order if you set them up wrong!
    If you have the common 6S ogive point up dies, and I suspect you do, you need a .705 length 22 jacket for a 50-55 grain bullet and a .790 or an 825 length jacket for a 62-75 grain bullet in 6mm. 20-25 jackets won't even get you started. Buy at least 250 to start with, and that's not even much more than enough to learn the process and setup your dies.
    Two things you will certainly need are a GOOD .0001 reading micrometer and some swaging lube. DON'T SKIMP ON THE MICROMETER!!!!!! Buy a Mitutoyo, B&S or a Starrett to start with. It will give you a lifetime of good service if properly cared for, and this IS important! I can't stress this enough! You will find it's your best friend when setting up your dies! When you swage your cores into the jacket, you want the base to be the same diameter as the lead line at the top of the jacket. (where the lead comes to inside the jacket) This will give you the most accurate bullet you can make.
    As for swaging lube, go to the drug store and get a 1oz container of Vasilene and a 1oz container of ANHYDROUS lanolin. Put the contents of both in a small glass container of some sort and microwave it untill both liquify. (doesn't take long) Stir them together and let it cool. This is what most benchrest bullet makers use for lube, and it's better than any commercial lube I've ever tried.
    Good luck with your new project and have fun!