RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made die, an unusable success

Vendor Sponsor

Home made die, an unusable success

Hey guys got back to the friends shop yesterday and sat down in front of the lathe for the second time. I salvaged a piece of scrap 1" steel rod to practice with and after a quick lesson on cutting threads on a piece of alunimum he turned me loose.

I spent an hour or so drawining up plans in autocad for a .458 swage die. Basicly copied the CH design in function. Everything looked correct so away I went.

I found a rotery file that matched the diminsions of a 458 bullet profile and was actually .460 so a quick touch brought it down to about .456 or so. After boreing out the hole and boring the profile with the rotary file everthing looked good. Dimentions was just under size allowing for a final polish to size of .458. Well I got a little happy with the polish and managed to overshoot to .464.

Lessons learned. I did make a pretty nice bullet with it and was very impressed with the overall outcome of the die. I will perfect it soon as a little closer attention to final dia should solve my problems. Maybe I will fix this die up for .500 bullets. Anybody making .500 bullets in a 7/8th dia die?

Well I must say it was alot of fun and how amazing it is to be able to make your own tools and bullets. I have said before that I thought a degree of magic was involved with making dies and bullets. Now I am fealing a bit like a magician. Still don't have it all figured out and making riffle bullets is my main goal here. Don't have the know how yet to put some dies together. I'm keeping at it though.

Good shooting,

BT

P.S. Pic is of my die with ch .429 die in background and oversized 240 grain .458 bullet.
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-11-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Bub
    That looks great! The only thing I see can be wrong is that you will get the tool illness and need a lathe at home with a milling machine to help keep the cost down on projectiles, it is a serious virus that leads to bigger shop and cash flow restriction, but the end result is " I can make this bullet for next to nothing", which is justification for a good hobby. Good job keep it up.
    Phil

Boolit Master

BT,

It looks like you are getting the hang of this machining thing. Might I suggest that the next time, you use 2 rotary files. One for initial roughing and one for finishing. And you have seen the wisdom of leaving a bit extra for polish.

I was wondering if you know what steel type you used. And if you used a cutting fluid. And if you cleaned chips often.
    ]
    The machining thing DOES give one great satisfaction when it comes out right. MAGICAL for sure!

Nice job on your first try.

EDD
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

I have to find someone to teach me! That is awesome.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Boolit Buddy
    BT - Could you explain "a quick touch"? I'm not sure how you brought down the diameter of the file. Great looking bullet. I've got to give it a try. Thanks, Danth

Boolit Bub
    I could probably use those in my .45-70.

Vendor Sponsor

I think the challenge is finding a machine to practice on, I'm lucky as my friend has the lathe and mill. In turn I will make all the bullets we could posssibly need.

EDD, I did not think about 2 rotary files but it makes sence.I did use alot of motor oil for cutting fluid and cleaned out the chips often. The problem I had was not getting all the chips out of the hole bored in the steel. The idea was to first see if I could bore the chamber and profile of the bullet nose befor attempting hours of work on anything else. So all the chips built up in frount of the nose shape in the little excess space from the pilot hole I drilled first.

Next time I will cut the die to length and bore out the top of the die first. Maybe this will allow the chips to move foward rather then bunch up. I'll also do a better job of keeping the file teeth clean.

I don't know the type of steel. It was scrap I found and friend thought it looked like "cold rolled" typical steel. I don't know though. It worked for practice.

So I'll need some more study time but how does one polish out a couple thou from the inside of the bore to get a perfect sized and round chamber? I will try some solid brass of proper size to polish with next. All I did with these dies is use some Flitz on a wood dowl chucked in the lathe. Got it nice and smooth but either my technique or the flitz polish took alittle to much.

Thanks guys I'll keep my progress updated. To bad the machine is a half hour drive away. Can't get out as much as I would like, daddy day care seems to be a full time job with alot of overtime.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    I think the challenge is finding a machine to practice on, I'm lucky as my friend has the lathe and mill. In turn I will make all the bullets we could posssibly need. Protect the relationship, a friend with machines is a friend indeed!!!!

EDD, I did not think about 2 rotary files but it makes sence.I did use alot of motor oil for cutting fluid and cleaned out the chips often. OK...I suggest that you get some machining lube...Tap Magic...Cool Tool or just some stinky black cuttin/threading oil. Motor oil has a tendancy to lube the surface of your cut and cause gouges when it starts cutting again. Also if if is sliding over the surface and then cutting, I could well be "work hardening" the surface slightly.The problem I had was not getting all the chips out of the hole bored in the steel. LIKELY the problem! An acid brush will help if you don't have some compressed air to blow the chips out with.The idea was to first see if I could bore the chamber and profile of the bullet nose befor attempting hours of work on anything else. Well now you know...cool huh? So all the chips built up in frount of the nose shape in the little excess space from the pilot hole I drilled first.

Next time I will cut the die to length and bore out the top of the die first. Maybe this will allow the chips to move foward rather then bunch up. I'll also do a better job of keeping the file teeth clean. EXCELLENT idea.

I don't know the type of steel. It was scrap I found and friend thought it looked like "cold rolled" typical steel. Cold rolled steel, though easy to machine, can be a PITA to get a good finish on/in. It tends to tear and gouge with fine cuts.I don't know though. It worked for practice. CRS is great for practice...and again it is free machining so you can get the hang of the process.

So I'll need some more study time but how does one polish out a couple thou from the inside of the bore to get a perfect sized and round chamber? One was is to use a light oil with wet/dry paper in a wooden stick. Another is to find a Cratex stick. An still another is to use a fine lapping compound on a piece of wooden stick, OR a piece of brass. Oh yeah, keep your RPMS a bit slower while polishing too. I will try some solid brass of proper size to polish with next. All I did with these dies is use some Flitz on a wood dowl chucked in the lathe. BTW..I'd guess without seeing it, that the tearing I was talking about is why you went big quickly. Danged CRS!!!!Got it nice and smooth but either my technique or the flitz polish took alittle to much. Flitz is VERY fine grit so I'd still go with the tearing of the finished surface. Another thing I just thought of, perhaps you were running the machine a bit fast. Slow is almost always better when machining for finish.

Thanks guys I'll keep my progress updated. To bad the machine is a half hour drive away. Can't get out as much as I would like, daddy day care seems to be a full time job with alot of overtime.

BT
    Keep at it and practice as much as you can. You'll be amazed at how quickly the basics become entrenced. Then you'll be amazed at all of the little things you learn as you go that make this "MAGIC" seem a lot less like "WIZARDRY".
    Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Vendor Sponsor

Danth,

The rotary file was allready so close at .460 that I just chucked it in a drill press and lightly touched it as it was turning with a dremmel tool. As I measure it now the largest dia I can find on the high sides of the teeth is .458. I intended to touch this rotary file up to final size a bit smaller in the lathe but I allready had the bored out die in the lathe and didn't want to loose my zero. I suppose if there is a high or low side to this rotary file that I have made it would still cut a full .460 as it could just be out of round even though the largest measured dia is .458. Again I'll mount this in the lathe and square it up to a slightly smaller dia.

A quick question to those that know, how much larger will a hole be if the cutting tool used is .xxx? Example a reamer measured at .458 I'm sure can't be expected to bore a perfect .458 hole, it will turn out slightly larger correct? So maybe start with my reamer/rotary file at .455 or so?

Yes bullets for a 45-70 is my goal here. All ready have the cores swaged at 340 grains just waiting to seat in a 65 grain 45ACP jacket with rim milled off.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

Edd,

Many thanks to your advise. All you guys on this site are a world of great information and motivate me to take on these projects. I know others will follow.

I am very much interested in "WIZARDRY"

I'll incorperate your wisdom into my next attempt. The final polish ideas was fairly close to what I used with a wooden dowl and flitz. I probably had the RPMs to fast then, what is the reason for slow RPMs when polishing? Is this just to allow less material to be removed or does it effect the quality of the finish?

What grade steel will be best for final die? I feel that if I was able to get the finish on this scrap piece it would have worked out just fine to make a few thousand bullets from. I am trying to keep cost down and a swage die (minus insides) from CH is only $50 so a high grade expensive piece of steel might not be cost effective. For the .458 that is not offered it is obviously a big savings.

"CRS" I got a good laugh from this as I thought it was a symptom of old age.

Thanks Guys I'm still up for more advise from anyone else that would care to chime in. I'll do my homework and try to find what info I can but this first hand help is always appreciated.

When this .458 die works out I plan to follow up with all the popular pistol calibers. Some day I hope to make a die for a .338 riffle bullet and the .223 from 22lr set of dies.

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 05-28-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Bub
    Check your pm
    Phil

Boolit Man

Jackets?

Where did you get the copper jackets?

Gary

Vendor Sponsor

About 100 jackets came with .458 die that friend bought from shooters shack. It seems these dies make bullets a bit large as the 458 comes out at .460 and the 451 at .453. They are for half jacket bullets and the reason I'm making new dies.

After thinking about my succesful mishap with the oversized .458 die I made I think my next die will be an attempt at .357 so If I screw it up I have severial more calibers to bore it out to.

Another question for the knowledgable. Is a bullet for a 357 mag .357 or .358?
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

I'll tell you a little trick I learned from Ferris Pendell (co-inventer of the PPC) about polshing a die. Use a piece of leather soaked with a paste made of cutting oil and lapping compound. The leather will readily conform to the inside of the die and give you a mirror finish while maintaining your die demensions. It's a SLOW process, but you can "sneak up" on your finished demensions without overshooting what you want.

BTW: I like a steel called Air die for making swaging or reloading dies. It hardens easily, holds demensions VERY well during heat treatment and doesn't scale up nearly as bad as some of the other tool steels during the hardening process. Be sure you finish your die to final demensione AFTER heat treatment! Leave at least .0005-.0006 for your final finish!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I am no machinist, but I would tend to think you can hone the die as slowly as required with a soft lead slug that was formed by melting the lead into the die. The slug should be no softer than required to shrink enough to apply some grit/polish/whatever. ... felix
    felix

Vendor Sponsor

Houndog,

I've heard Air die mentioned before and will check into it. I had along the same thoughts as the leather in a wet piece of wood and it expanding to fit the inside of the die. I'll try the wet leather trick.

Thanks guys. I'll be attempting a .357 die soon I hope.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Man
    I believe that air die is the same as what is called air hardening steel can be found at enco,msc,and other mail order places. I use 01 drill rod for my dies and have no problems.
    heat treats at just above red heat 1550-1600 f warpage is not a problem with a die 1 1/2 inches long

01 drill rod can be obtained at a place called FASTENAL and are located in most larger cities.

larrys

Vendor Sponsor

Larrys,

I have a Fastenal just up the street. You'll have to help me out here. I don't know what 01 drill rod is but I would guess maybe 1" dia? About how much is it is you remember and how long of piece can I get. I'll check myself of course but can't get out of the house till weekend.

Felix,

I have used that technique with boolit molds. I suppose it is worth a try. I don't know if it will work or not. Thanks for the ideas.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Make sure the die is hot first! 350F sounds like a minimum for good lead fillout. Might need some tin in that lead too for that temp. Well worth the games, not only to get the job done, but to tell the board which method seemed to work best. Flitz or Simichrome is what I use to expand seating dies using loaded rounds. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    I don't know what 01 drill rod is but I would guess maybe 1" dia? About how much is it is you remember and how long of piece can I get.
    O1 drill rod is alloyed steel O1 tool steel and is commonly used for taps, reamers, drill bits, etc. It makes good shellholders and punches too. It's about $18 per foot online.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast