Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Tallow?

Boolit Master

Tallow?

Alright, I'm not very knowing of the how-to on Tallow. Anyone got a good how-to on rendering it? Or should I just buy it off Feebay for $10 for 5lbs?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

In Remembrance
    I don't know how, but Google does...

How to render tallow

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 05-26-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Was kinda hoping for something with pictures. But I guess google will have to do...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

I dont know about tallow but with lard(pig fat) I just cook it in a pot to melt all the greasy stuff. It is nice to have a press but not necesary. Filter it and your ready.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    I dont know about tallow but with lard(pig fat) I just cook it in a pot to melt all the greasy stuff. It is nice to have a press but not necesary. Filter it and your ready.
    Jay
    That is how I do my skunk fat too.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Ummm, what do you do with skunk fat? My bro in law was quite a traspper when I was a pup. He skinned everything he caught, including skunks and house cats. I was never that passionate about it.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Well, unlike lard, apparently when its cooked down, tallow ends up separating itself from the rest of the fat upon cooling.

If you follow enough of those google links, eventually you will find pictures & even videos.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I use it as a base for coyote bait.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Boolit Grand Master
    Why don't use the money to buy lube??

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Why don't use the money to buy lube??

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Shiloh
    Very likely it is because some people really enjoy making it themselves. Why don't you use your money to simply go and buy ready made ammo? Same question just to a different degree.

I make my own tallow/lube/ammo/boolits....why......cause I just have to, it just feeeeeeels sooooooo goooooooood to make it your own durnself to not make it.

Back on topic...what kind of tallow we talking? I make my own venison tallow and I just deep fry the whole mess in its own juices. let cool.....then..take all the solids hard waxy stuff off the top and render again in boiling water....coool......keep all the good hard wax off the top and throw the slime to the dogs.

jdgabbard, just what are you going to use the tallow for? Are you a reinactor making candles? Are you a BP muzzle loader / shooter making patch lube? Or are you trying that old traditional recipe of tallow and kerosene for crotch rot? I make my own (breach loading) bullet lube but do not use tallow because it goes rancid. Once I made the mistake of leaving my Ruger Old Army Cap n ball revolver loaded and with the bullets in the cylinder covered with tallow to prevent chain fire. It seeped back and killed the BP and then I had problems getting the bullets out because there was some corrosive element that locked the bullets in place. Had to pull the nipples and scrape out the BP, add new BP, replace nipple and cap n fire. Furthermore, lots of testing showed there were better substances to base your lube on like bees wax and carnuba if you are filling grease grooves

About the time we entered HS, Mom decided she had to make her own soap ~ yeh, tallow, lye and washtub and wood for the fire. This was back when staple of TV was soap/deterrgent com'ls. So, starting early in the morning, she would fire it up, grate the brown soap wash the laundry all in the back yard. Dad encouraged it as he liked it for a heavy duty hand soap ~ then came the head cheese ~ ~ ~

Boolit Master

Dixie Gun Works...

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Alright, I'm not very knowing of the how-to on Tallow. Anyone got a good how-to on rendering it? Or should I just buy it off Feebay for $10 for 5lbs?
    Sheep Tallow for about $3.50 a pound. That's where I get my tallow for SPG dead ringer.
    Good Luck!

-Tom

Boolit Master
    Shiloh, $10 is not going to break the bank, or buy a lot of lube. Besides, I do like experimenting with it myself.

Windrider, if using Beeswax in you're lube, it has a open crystaline structure, and storing in the fridge you won't have a lot to worry about when it comes to going rancid. And even if it did, with the open structure of beeswax I don't think you'd have anything to worry about as far as smell goes. And I don't think going rancid has any effect on the lube qualities even if it did.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range