Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Potter melting pot

Boolit Buddy

Potter melting pot

I have come across 3 of these in the last year. There is one in tonights auction and is in great shape. The cord is a plug in affair like used to be on toasters many years ago. It probably holds 2 lbs. of lead and is a bottom pour. A piece of history to be sure. Does anyone know of these Potter pots? It seems it would be nice to have just to look at.

Boolit Master

I have one of these little guys, and it is the Cutest Little Thing! It will hold 4 pounds of alloy, and originally came with an in-line control for adjusting temperature. That control didn't come with mine, so I bought a cord for it @ Ace HW, and plug it in to the controlled outlet I put in when I wired the shop. A regular light dimmer will work fine for control. Buy one, mount it into an electrical box, wire in a cord to go to the outlet, and another cord going to the furnace, and have at it. I like it because I can melt up a couple of pounds of alloy to test a new mold, or whatever. Needs a stop installed, but that's no challenge. Use a couple of angle brackets mounted under the mounting nut on the right side of the lip.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

In Remebrance

Potter was an outfit from the Syracuse area Frank. I've wanted to get a few of their products since they're "local", but never seem to win. They had a good reputation.

Boolit Buddy

Have the stomach flu and couldn't get down last night. I know a dealer that got one in a batch he bought . Will check to see if he wants to let it go.

Boolit Master

I realize this thread is a little old. Iv'e been searching the forum for information on the Potter lead pot, and found this.

I recently acquired one in a sale. It is in very good condition and has the power cord AND hi / low hand switch. Nothing is broken, cracked or frayed. It only holds a couple pounds of lead. Would anyone know more about this pot? What is it worth? I want to know if I got a good deal on it. Thanks.
    Jon

Boolit Buddy
    The Potter furnaces I know little about but I think that the Potter presses were covered in great detail in a Handloader's Digest articles years and years ago.

Boolit Master

Yes it's a old thread but I'm researching the little potter casting furnace as well,I'm needing a cord for mine,I'll just use a PID for controlling the temp, I'm guessing it is a 110volt unit,my is stamp L-2 on the bottom of the pot housing?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one of those.
    i also had to find a replacement cord for it.
    Never used it.
    little to small for me.
    I'll have to try the dimmer switch for it.
    I always thought the dimmer switch would not have enough capacity for it.
    It would just burn up.
    Listed it here for sale once. No takers.

Boolit Master

The cord is a standard American size, still in use. Try ebay.

If you size your dimmer to or above the wattage of the pot, it'll work fine. Dimmers are available up to 2,000 watts.

The Potters are real quality stuff.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I use a router control now when I just want to cast a few, or test a new mold. Router control from HF are cheap, I don't remember how much, but cheap, and work fine. Do all my casting out on my patio now, and built-in is in reloading room. And a cord can be had at any ACE HW, or even a second-hand store (Goodwill, whatever).
    Just looked at it close, and it needs a little TLC. Some rust that will card off, then a coat of Hi-Tmp paint, and it will look GREAT! Pic File is too big to upload - drat...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)