Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington Rolling Block 7 X 57 Conversion

Boolit Master

BAR is pressure in atmospheres.

I posted this note in this section for people who don't know any better than to read COTW and believe what they read is credible. Nothing more than that.

Dutch

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

You Guys Are A GREAT Bunch !!!!

I want to continue this discussion by saying that I appreciate beyond measure the thoughtful and helpful information and questions you guys are providing - WOW. I just received my gun back from the Mr. John Mc Glothin from Raton N.M. and at this point in time could not be happier with the outcome. Initially, I am going to shoot some smokeless for break-in of the barrel and then will probably transition to 1 1/2 Swiss or maybe pyrodex or some synthetic black at a later point in time. I love the fact that most BP has a very low S.D. round to round.

Please keep any and all feedback coming because I am learning much needed info to keep myself safe and to take good care of my weapon. I will post some pictures.

SOME FACTS: The receiver is a Number 5 Smoke-less that was/is a 7 x 57 in excellent condition when I acquired said receiver. I sent the receiver and a Badger 34" full octagon barrel to Mr. Mc Glothin (He was recommended to me by Mr. Stallman of Badger Barrels and I appreciate his recommendation so very much. This gentleman is/was a wonderful individual to do business with and I could not begin to say enough good things about his wonderful personality and his EXCELLENT GUNSMITHING KNOWLEDGE) along with the other parts and he worked his magic. As previously stated, the barrel is a 1 - 16 twist. The wood came from Trebone Carving also of New Mexico. The only real regret I have is that at the time of purchasing the wood, I could not afford to purchase the butt stock and forearm at the same time and therefore the wood is not "exactly matching" but still looks SUPER to me. The scope is a Wm Malcom replica, 3/4", fixed fine cross-hair, 6 power, 32" in length with the 7" extension tube to allow proper fit for the long barrel.

I have loaded some mid-range Reloader-7 loads for break-in because according to all the manuals I looked at (7 books) this smokeless produced the lowest pressure readings. I have loaded some 400 gr. Speer FN, 350 gr. Speer FN, 430 gr. FN (as cast) Ranchdog Mold, 500 gr. (as cast) Lee "Postel" type or spire point and some 405 gr. FN production I purchased that at this time I cannot remember who made the bullets (its listed out in the shop in my reloading log).

I hope to go shoot this week and will bring back some pictures and info when done. I plan to use the Jacketed bullets for break-in according to Badger recommendations and hope that during my initial break-in, will be able to get some type of "group" on paper for future load development. Will send all loads down range through my chrony and will post the numbers later.

Again, thank you all for the education I am getting.

Sincerely - Sniper Chief - now I will attempt to load up some pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	15240

Name:	IMG_5259.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	15241

Name:	IMG_5260.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	15242

Name:	IMG_5261.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	15243

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	15244

Name:	IMG_5263.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	15245

Name:	IMG_5264.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	15246

Boolit Bub
    A BAR is one atmosphere or 15 psi.

Boolit Buddy
    techlava, In other words, what you are saying is that bars is pressure in atmospheres.

Boolit Master

P U R D Y !!!!!!!!!

Nice piece Sniper Chief.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Sniper--

I had a 45-70 made up on a #5 action. 28" and 1X18 twist. My bullet is the Lee 500 3R.

I use 63 ff goex black and I know you want smokeless. I chrongraphed the the load I use at 1024 fps. I read that others, using black, get slightly higher velocities.

The trapdoor, I have read, has been successfully shot at 1000 yds., and my info is that the twist is 1X22. As a compromise, if I did it again and wanted higher velocity, I would choose 1X20 twist. I don't know how much my velocity gain would be, but it would be some.

You wrote you purchased the barrel already, but this is just something to tuck away for the future.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Sniper, that is a cracker of a rifle. Very purdy. Which mounts did you get on that scope? Where did you get the scope? have you shot it yet and what did you think of the mounts? I am thinking of getting a scopy to put on my Hiwall, but I want to be able to swich back to my MVA Soule without a gunsmith. I think that it is the Malcolm scope that came with the mounts that allow this.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master

I have used many 40,000 psi loads in my 7x57 Roller. No problems if you neck size the
    brass, since the chambers are very oversized due to the lack of camming power of the
    RB action. A favorite load is 36 gr of 4064 under a 175 rn Hornady. This is very accurate in
    mine. With very slow powders and the 29 in bbl you can get some good velocities while
    keeping the pressures OK.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12