Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Cartoon

Boolit Buddy

Old Cartoon

Anybody remember seeing an old cartoon from the American Rifleman that calls out BRASS WEASELS? This is a guy that mopes around the line and snags brass that does not belong to him. We have been infested with some of these pests and I would like to post this cartoon as a sort of subtle heads up before it gets ugly. However, this type is usually immune to sublety.
    Best, Roger

Boolit Grand Master
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

I think of it more like pigeons at a hot dog stand, waiting around for a crumb to hit the ground.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

It's a bad thing when they take the brass you want.
    Best motorcycle forum on the net.
    http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/index.php

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

There is one old reloader that comes to the only range that we have everyday just after daylight to pick up all of the brass. I used to get a little range pick up there before he started doing this. I have no idea what he does with all of the brass but LOL, I wound up buying several hundred 38 special from him and he acted like he really didn’t want to get rid of it. I asked him what he did with it and he said that he cleaned it then stored it in zip lock bags for the future. He may have a point.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Super Moderator

.............Heck picking up brass on the ground at the range is a long tradition amonge reloaders. However, etiquette and common sense dictates you wait until the people who generated it leave. This is a positive indicator that they have no further use for it, and finders keepers if the range management allows brass pickup.

Now if the person in question is standing nearby and plucking the empties out of the air, or bagging empties off the bench while the shooter walks to the restroom or pop machine, they are lacking in the most basic levels of common sense. If so, possibly one day a shooter may take them out behind the range house and administer some instruction in remedial manners

Now for me, the first thing I do when I arrive at the range is to walk the line and give the trash cans a once over Primarily I'm looking for the slip top plastic boxes 22 LR, 17 & 22 Mag ammo is sold in by some makers. I also pickup the plastic trays Fiocchi packs their 45 ACP in. I've also glommed onto tons of Turk 8mm stippers and a couple years back quite a few 8x56R clips used in the 1895 Steyr straight pulls. I guess whoever tossed the Steyr clips didn't realize they'd end up with a one shooter without them!

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Now for me, the first thing I do when I arrive at the range is to walk the line and give the trash cans a once over
    Isn't that what you're supposed to do? More than a few times I've struck it lucky and found a box or more of [insert insane caliber here] Weatherby Magnum brass.

Straight to GunBroker it goes. Even better than finding money!
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to go to the club facilities about 7 AM, 2 hours before firing was allowed. Not a soul in sight. With a 24 acre club and 16 bays, I'd come home sometimes with a half bucket full of everything from .380 to .458 Winnie. Never understood why most people don't reload.

Boolit Master

There is a guy at our local range and he picks up all the brass. Used to be able to leave out of there with about 2 full MaoMart bags. He will literally stand there and pick up the brass as it hits the ground upon ejection. Quite annoying to say the least! He sells it. I know just about every time I go down there he eyeballs my table, because I have several different calibers that I shoot. I tell him from the jump that I reload. He always says "fair enough".
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    i havent done any shootin for a wile but my son and i are getting ready now. before we took a break there was a guy that started showing up. he would be there before anyone else and parked his truck all over the range grabbing every piece of brass he could find. he even had little gardening tools to dig with. before this dude showed up i always found some brass i needed, but not anymore!

Boolit Grand Master

I expect it to get worse if the economy continues to go south. Scavenging is a hoary tradition. If someone can feed a family doing this more power to them. Just don't take mine!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot IPSC and IDPA some. Every club has a few guys who have some ailment that prevents them from setting up or tearing down the stages. That's fine. I'm often one of them myself as I have a back problem.
    However... often, one or two of these very same guys spend the entire match darting around like ferrets grabbing every piece of brass that hits the ground. I couldn't have moved that fast or bent over/straightened up that much when I was 20.
    Willpower is a powerful thing, I guess.

One of these guys had me so mad once, that even though I'm as easygoing as they come, I finally did something that broke him of picking up mine at least. I walked back from shooting a stage once to find him dumping my brass in his range bag. I scooped a handful out of his range bag and politely thanked him for picking my brass up for me.
    His expression was like I had just shot his dog, but he knew he couldn't say a word.

Boolit Grand Master
    At our club, when there are IPSc or IDPA shoots, it's mandatory that ALL brass stays on the ground for the stage handlers. Only exception is moon clipped ACPs for revolvers.

Boolit Master
    my local range doesnt allow collecting from the brass buckets. picking from the ground is fine, but everybody is verry courteous and picks up their brass .

they sell it to members really cheap tho.

Boolit Master
    Last year in August I was at the range on a very hot afternoon and no one was on the 100 yd line. I was shooting my AR and my Garand when I noticed a guy drove up and went through the trash cans ( he was wasting his time as I had already taken care of that chore). After he came up empty with trash cans he walked up and down the line looking for brass. Then he walked past me and stood two firing points down, with a rake trying to pull in my 30-06 brass. I just changed over to my AR and pelted him with Wolf steel cases. Then I stopped shooting and told him that the brass was mine, and I was keeping all of it. He gave me a dumb stare and drove off. Later I was telling one the range officers about it and he said he had run the guy off twice that day. Times must really be tough.

G

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    There is one old reloader that comes to the only range that we have everyday just after daylight to pick up all of the brass. I used to get a little range pick up there before he started doing this. I have no idea what he does with all of the brass but LOL, I wound up buying several hundred 38 special from him and he acted like he really didn’t want to get rid of it. I asked him what he did with it and he said that he cleaned it then stored it in zip lock bags for the future. He may have a point.
    Good deal....he is predictable. Take it from me: brass is easier to find with a good flashlight than waiting on the sun---hint, hint.

Boolit Master

I've had problems at our local range. One day a man and a woman drove up and the man started picking up brass on the 25 yard range, I was on the 50 yard range. Then the woman gets out of the car and lets a little ankle bitter dog loose, the dog runs out in front of me on the 50 yard range. I explain to the woman that the dog isn't supposed to be running loose and to please call it in and control it. I think the dog had gone deaf because it wouldn't listen to her or the man and while chasing the dog they managed to knock down my chrony and tripod. When I went over and took down the license plate # the Man asked what I was doing I explained that if the chrony didn't work I was going to pay him a visit, I also explained to him that this was a "shooting range" not a "brass pickup range". They finally got the dog and left. have not seen them since.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

We have a civilised system of picking up brass at my club range. At ICORE events, after the shooter has finished his practice and moves forward for the scoring of his targets, other members of the club collect his brass, speed loaders, magazines and returns them to the shooter. No arguments about who it belongs to and there is no way that a stranger would dare walk the range picking up brass, not with a range full of LEO!
    Ron.

FESTINA LENTE

The more I read about this place you all call the "Range" the more I am sure I dont want to go there. I have read all sorts of stories of asinine behavior, brass thieves , dumpster divers and exploding guns. Seriously though, I just cant imagine. I am not a "people person" and am blessed with being able to shoot at home. Most of my brass is bought"once fired" or given/traded by friends.I am very particuler about it being picked up mand sent through the cycle again.
    Dang.... people go just to pilfer some brass.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    My philosophy is very simple.

I brought the brass to the range to use my firearm and to utilize the brass for its intended purpose as a temporary container for the primer, powder, and bullet. My brass may be used again for that purpose to hold the items I place into it, for later use.

To me grabbing my brass while I am still at the range because I have emptied the "container" is the same as someone coming up and grabbing my empty gun case because I have emptied that container.

Now if I leave my container's in the trash or on the ground then fair enough I am done with them, but not until I make that decision do you have the right to any containers I bring to the gun range, full or empty.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    The more I read about this place you all call the "Range" the more I am sure I dont want to go there. I have read all sorts of stories of asinine behavior, brass thieves , dumpster divers and exploding guns. Seriously though, I just cant imagine. I am not a "people person" and am blessed with being able to shoot at home. Most of my brass is bought"once fired" or given/traded by friends.I am very particuler about it being picked up mand sent through the cycle again.
    Dang.... people go just to pilfer some brass.
    Jay
    Before I moved down here there was never a problem for me. The ranges I belonged to were members only and there weren't that many people there at a time. When I shot IPSC/IDPA, the other squad members policed your mags and brass while you went with the RO who scored your targets.

Now I have to shoot on a public range, and while I'm thankful it's there, it has it's problems. I took a friend to the range to try out a 1911, AR, and AK. As soon as the brass hit the ground some yahoo was sweeping it up. Other than being annoying I didn't mind as it was all steel or aluminum case ammo, but had it been brass we'd have had words.

Said range sells off any brass left behind, and it's sad to see drums full of it sitting there, although I did manage to scavenge some once fired .30-30 and other shooters have let me take brass they didn't intend to pick up.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell