Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a least favorite cartridge for reloading?

Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a least favorite cartridge for reloading?

Is there a particular cartridge that you dislike reloading? I understand that reloading and casting is our "thing" here, but there's got to be a few cartridges that you don't really like reloading for. Maybe one that's overly time consuming, or expensive, or ones that are just more trouble than they're worth.

Have you ever stopped loading a particular cartridge all together due to the complexities or difficulty in reloading it?

We all have a favorite, or maybe even several favorites, but what about the least favorites? I'd like to hear what you have to say!
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

.32 acp

Dinky cases, dinky bullets, microscopic powder charges.

Only .25 auto must be worse.

CDD

Boolit Master
    I'm primarily a pistol cartridge loader, so I find anything without a carbide option, to be bothersome. Not that I dislike them, but I could do without the extra work and mess of case lube.

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    .32 acp

CDD
    25 auto is worse. I have small hands and I still pinch my fingers once in awhile trying to size those puny little cases.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I find the mere idea of loading a .44 particularly distasteful.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Bub

.357 sig, great round but a pain to load with that bottle neck case.
    I dont know much but I know big bullets make everything better!!

Weird but the cartridge I hate to reload most is my favorite to shoot - guess I'm a masochist!!!! It's the 25-06. I have never bought a commercial case for it so making the cases from mil surp 3006 and then doing all the trimming and de-crimping is a real PITA - at least the first load.

Boolit Master

Biggest PITA I load. it's a shame too. My Bersa is a really accurate belly gun. just a pain to load for.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Grand Master
    Onliest caliber I ever owned that I DISLIKED reloading was a :takinWiz:.32 S&W. When I realized I wasn't enjoying the pastime of refurbishing the rounds, I gave the revolver and all the stuff for it to a friend. "Here, take it in good health and mud in yer' eye!"
    Good riddance!

None of mine involve cast bullets. I could never get a 219 Zipper to perform, either in accuracy or velocity. Sold it. The one I still have but dread loading for is a 17 Ackley Bee. Its favorite powder is 3031, and getting those little logs down that skinny neck is darn near a tweezers deal: absolute nightmare.

I hate trimming large quantities of 223 brass. But I just ordered a possum hollow trimmer, so that may change.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    .32 acp

CDD
    +1 on the .32 ACP. It is especially awkward after handling a bunch of .30-06 or 8x57's, etc. Until I get the "feel" for the little cases I am dropping them, not getting them into the shellholder smoothly, etc., etc.

I can only imagine how bad .25's must be.

Moderator Emeritus

the 38-40 shoulder crusher. It never fails that I lose at least one or two cases every time I start loading - even with an M die.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned
    I played particular hell with the 50 beowulf. Come to find out I had some dies that were substandard right out of the box. Lee made it right as far as the dies were concerned. I had to eat my losses on that brass which wasnt particularly cheap. I do not like Lee dies from the get go. They were the only brand manufacturing them at the time.
    The Beowulf has a Severly rebated head. The Sizing Die was WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too tight causing the case to effectively start to turn inside out over the head/ set back WAY TOO FAR. upon my first reloading, I found my cases had GREATLY shrank in length, to the point of being unusable

Boolit Buddy
    30-30 Win, ya I know it should be the bestest but for some reason I can't get consistent results no matter what. I've had great results (and easily obtainable) with 308, 30-06,35 Whelen, 450Marlin and even pretty good with 303 British but for me the 30-30 just won't do it. I even get fairly good accuracy from a 12ga Lyman (or Lee) slug, better at 50 yds than the 30-30 will do.

Boolit Man
    Least favorite?

40 S&W, Lee cast is too blunt for my Star M-40 to not beat up the noses.

Second it would be my .25's though I haven't given up on them.
    My 25/06 with 120 grain RCBS cast has yet to thrill me.
    My attempts to make a 25 ACP w/Lyman cast out perform an identical 22LR pocket pistol has yet to happen though I have yet to "push it" over book data.

The bottom line is that cast at best is a challenge to make work really well, if we really wanted textbook results we would shoot factory or at least jacketed reloads.

Play with what you have, if you get tired of it get rid of it or set it aside for a few years. To me, it is all about making something work rather than working something that would work for anyone else whom happened to try it.

Paul

Boolit Master

.30 Carbine. It's kind of like reloading a pistol cartridge and kind of like a rifle cartridge, and it inherited the worst attributes of each.

A lot of people I so far have mentioned the 25-ACP and 32-ACP as ones they don't like to load for -- you will gave to forgive me here but I like reloading for those.

Now the one I don't like to reload for? That would be in order of dislike the 32-Colt, 40 S&W, and 22-Hornet.

32-Colt: A healed base bullet round and a living nightmare to try to crimp and get the darn bullet straight !!!! When you crimp it using a very special crimpting die the bullet more then half the time will cock one way or the other instead of staying straight.

I just hate the 40 S&W in general -- More kick, bang, and flash then either a 45-ACP or 9mm, less nock down then the 45-ACP and more rainbow trajectery then the 9mm. If your going shoot a 40-cal auto, be a real man get a 10mm; 400-Corbon isn't bad either just don't settle for that 40 S&W half-a$$ round.

I never could seem to get the hornet right. By the books it should be just perfect for a nice heavy for caliber round nosed cast bullet like the molds from NEI drop. Never could get it to shoot good for me though.

Boolit Grand Master

7.62 Nagant revolver cartridge using the original style cases. I've tried jacketed and cast. Trying to get the crimp in front of the nose of the bullet so the case will enter the barrel as designed is difficult. That and the factory bullets vary from about 7mm to 31 cal.
    Then trying to shoot the revolver even in single action mode with the horrendous trigger.

Boolit Master
    .22 LR

For some reason I just hate it when you seat them in the magazine and you have to deal with that little rim.

On a real note, I have no cartridge that I hate reloading for. I must say I love them all.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast