Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke into again.

Check on ebay for listings closest to you. Deer racks sell quite high if they are big.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

In Remembrance
    Agree on the BFD, cameras. etc. You don't have to make it easy for them. Audible burglar alarms work too.
    Especially considering that the earlier break-in had already proven you are a 'target'...I'm surprised that you felt 'locks' were the only insurance you needed.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I agree it's someone you know, and more than likely they already had a buyer in mind too. If they steal electronics, or hand tools they go to a pawnshop. When they steal something with a specific market they already have a buyer in mind.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy
    What if your reloading press had a 230v short in it somewhere? What if moving your gear caused a vibration that made your entire lead supply fall from overhead? In 1987 I was living in an apartment in Longview, WA. Some doper-looking folks moved into the apartment recently vacated by Miss Cowlitz County. I had my reloading stuff set up in the basement and all was fine up until then. It wasn't long before my Lyman D7 scale became gone. The idiots left the dump pan though. I was so poor then that I had to replace the scale with the Lee beam scale. What a PITA! I sincerely hope you get satisfaction, my friend.

Paul

Paul

I understand its all my fault. A real dumb A&& move on my part. As for insurance Charlie, like I said right now I cant afford it at the moment. Should of made different arrangements as I got to thinking what hapened is really nothing compared to losing everything to a fire.
    Bad winter 2 years in a row in construction here then layed off in October has taken its toll. Im out doing any and all work I can possible find.
    I figure locks would take care of the problem and they did to a degree. I never thought about someone cutting a hole in the aluminum panel.
    We have 2 Jack Russells and a Lab. all stay inside the house at night. They take care of the family and I wouldnt change it. If they had been out they would of probably stopped it.
    If it happens again I promise I will know who did it. If they arent out here they definetly will be at the hospital. As far for the insurance, it is true that you cant afford to be without it. Its to late for what ive lost but will have insurance on everything tomorrow some way or another.
    As for who did it. No clue. My some lives 30 miles away and never brings anyone here. My daughter is 15 and I dont think she knows what my equipment even is. Could of been one of my so called friends. I honestly dont know.
    I should of not even mentioned it but was so upset, pissed, mad, hurt. I have never thought about doing such a thing to anyone. I needed to rant as my wife has heard to much. LOL
    WHERE THE HELL IS FARMVILLE??

Boolit Master
    I don't think you should go blaming yourself for that. That's on the bad guys not you.
    It does remind me though, when I can afford it I need to get the house wired.

Boolit Grand Master
    Huntr,
    Quit beatin' yerself up, bud! This ain't your fault. A lot of folks can't afford anything more than average locks, nevermind special insurance. I just hope it don't happen again 'cause I b'lieve if it does, there's gonna be one mell of a hess to clean up.
    I saw it myself. He picked up that hammer and was comin' straight at you with it up over his head. The way I see it, if you hadn't shot him, he was gonna kill you.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Yep I seed Jim there. now I kain't rightly recommember perzaktly when it wuz but i kin cogitate on hit sum and i'm sure ill recommember it fer sure. Jim'll recommember cuz his recommemberer is a lot better than mine, him bein younger an all.

Seriously, this is a bummer and I hope the rat or rats get caught. You just get to the point that you don't trust anyone anymore. I wish you well Idaho. Let us know what its going to take to get you up and running again. I have a few odd die sets and who knows what else. Post what you need and if I have anything I'll get it in the mail to you.

Phil
    What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers build targets.

I feel your pain. In the past when I have had things stolen, as well as when I have had things vandalized, I find myself torn between two emotions, other than the disgust of the loss. First I want to protect myself and second I want to catch the SOB's. After I had a motorcycle stolen a few years back, I found myself consumed with ideas and thoughts on how I could catch the next guy who tried to steal my stuff. I had some pretty good ideas as well as some devious ones that if carried out would have landed me in trouble with the "law".

I currently don't have the level of security to store all of my firearms that I'd like to have, so I have had to take some other measures to at least give myself a little piece of mind. Even though they aren't as safe as I'd like, I have found a few spots to stash some of them so that a thief is going to have to take some time to find them. Secondly, I have done some things that will ensure that if the weapons are stolen, the thief either won't be able to easily shoot them or if he does he may damage the gun. Then at least he'll be less likely to hurt someone else with it, that is if he doesn't hurt himself in the process. If you can't afford a real security system, get or make a fake one, they really do help. As a side note, a guy I work with had a nice system installed at his house and after his car was broken into he went to look at the video only to find it hadn't been working properly. He got it fixed and a couple days later got to watch a video of a car smashing into his parked car, poor guy.

The last thing I have done is to limit other people's knowledge of my hobby. My girlfriend knows that the subject is very low key when talking to our friends and I am VERY selective of friend's who are invited into my workshop. By the same token, I enjoy my hobby and don't feel I should have to be "in the closet" about it. I like to share my love of shooting with others. Anyway, sorry for your loss and I truly hope that they are caught and you can relish in the thought that they might end up as some other dude's girlfriend while they serve time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I have a few odd die sets and who knows what else. Post what you need and if I have anything I'll get it in the mail to you.

Phil
    Thanks for the offer and to all that have pm'ed offering to help. I will pass on our generous offers. Didnt post to get freebies, just venting. I do really appreciate the offers though. I have enough ammo to get me through hunting season. I will slowly build things back up.

The thing I hate the most is dad only used Nosler bullets. He gave me a big collection of them in sealed boxes from the 60's and them jokers got them. I can replace the rest but those bullets not replaceable.

Boolit Master
    To plagerize a worthless politician, I feel your pain.

I was broke into last September. Fortunately, I took some action when my neighbors was was broken into a month or so earlier. I had "most" of my guns pretty well hidden. I left a shotgun(pump) out in the regular gun case along with an old old 22 auto and a TC Howken. I really didn't think anyone would steal a blackpowder gun.

I got taken for about $3500 worth of merchandise.

I now have video surveillence and an alarm system that will call me when it goes off. I've had four calls. One was when wife forgot to disarm, two when sensors eroniously went off, and one when my son came home from college without calling.

I built a "entertainment center" that is built like a fortress and will take over a few minutes to get into. I bought a few clunker guns from the pawnshop for $25 that were labeled disfunctional; for eye candy, and I've got my good guns all stashed away. It'll take them a few more minutes than they expected, all while an alarm is sounding in there ear.

I know if they want in, they'll get in. My hope is to slow them down enough so they won't think it's worth while and leave before too much damage is done.

I certainly hope you recover some of, if not all, of your equipment, but I haven't seem one piece of mine yet and I had serial numbers on all major pieces.

PS. I had two big dogs in the yard, a Golden retriever and a Labrador. They didn't deter squat. And, my Golden developed walking problems just days later and died. I can't help but believe she may have been injured by the hoodlums. Just didn't see any outward appearance of such until it was too late.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I don't have the money to build a "Fort Knox" but I can tell you this: If Gretchen gets hold of somebody comin' in this house, they gonna need one h311 of a lot of stitches.

Boolit Master
    $500 with the entertainment box.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

I made a quick, cheap alarm. Take a motion sensor light, remove the bulbs and screw in plug adapters. To one plug in a bell and the the other a red light (mine is a revolving one from radio shack) outside that you can see it (helps if they can see it too). Use long extension cords to get the noise and light away from the sensor. They leave quick and don't return. A second flood sensor is good too.

FYI-- In Texas setting a trap is a legal no-no. If somebody is injured or killed, the person setting the device is looking at a stretch in the pen. Most other states have the same law. Now, you can turn bad dogs and rattlesnakes loose in your place and if anybody gets hurt, there is no crime.

I hesitate to mention this, but if they took loading equipment and boolits, then they know you have gunz somewhere. Significant attention should be given to securing your firearms. Now! A friend of mine lost his table saw a few years back. The next time the crooks showed up, they took his Harley Davidson.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Banned

Reminds me of when I looked out the front window and saw some guys hop over my neigbor's fence, back in the city.

I knew he wasn't home and I thought, "You SOB's". I grabbed my 870, and ran to the other side back gate and met the vermin. You shoulda seen them hispanics turn honkey white when I chambered one and told em' to get the hell out of there.

They took off instantly ...

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    I hesitate to mention this, but if they took loading equipment and boolits, then they know you have gunz somewhere. Significant attention should be given to securing your firearms. Now! A friend of mine lost his table saw a few years back. The next time the crooks showed up, they took his Harley Davidson.
    Guns are in the house and very safe. I bought a few safes a few years back when I could afford it.

Oh and they took my block and tackle. Just missed that today. They had to really work for that heavy thing.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    They can use the block and tackle to move the safes. In my 15 years on the force, I would tell everyone that they do come back. They see what you have on the first trip and always return. They had a farmer who keep having his equipment stolen from his barn, he set a shotgun trap and caught the bastard. He ended up selling his farm to pay the crook and his attorney!! The poor thief was now in a wheel chair and would no longer be able to work to take care of himself!! Give be a Break!! After our travel trailer was destroyed by Katrina, some crooks took all our possessions such as fishing tackle and clothes. They even took the stove which was under 4 ft of salt water. There is nothing lower than a thief. At least a armed robber looks you in the face. A thief sneaks like the slim he is.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Beekeeper
    I agree with the others . It has to be someone you know or someone who has worked for you or a neighbor.
    Had it happen around here several years ago and they caught a guy who had a setup to look like the pool guy.
    Drive up , take net and chemicals through gate and breakinto house,Leave with goodies in net like a good pool guy.
    Got any pools in your neighborhood?