Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 Mag 180gr FN

Boolit Master

Freadshow10mm, Let us know how it works out. I have an unopened can of Lil"Gun waiting on the 360180 group buy I am honchoing.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Now if I can find a cheap .357 Mag contender barrel I can borrow redneckdan's contender and do some load workups. I don't have a .357 currently and hate to work out his K frame.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

When Lil'Gun first came on the market I was shooting both a TC 10" 357 and a FA 357 with both 180 and 200 cast. My favoriate powder at the time was IMR 4227. I tried to reach the same velocity with Lil'Gun as I was getting with 4227. Even with a compressed load I never was able to get the same velocity. I,ve since switched to H-108 [ WC820-AA#9] for heavy boolit 357 loads. This was the very early Lil'Gun and I think I read it was changed.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Master

I tried some Lil Gun and lar45's boolit week before last. It sure did NOT do well out of my GP100. In fact I posted here looking for a load with any boolit that would have a chance of performance out of the GP100.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I had a 4 inch GP100. Find a Lyman 358627 mold. It's the 215gr SWC with dual crimp grooves. I put a cylinder full of those with Lar's red into a group so small it scared me. That bullet makes me look good. 10 and 10.5gr #9 with a WSPM were the loads. Both as accurate as the other.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

This is from my 180 Mountain Mold shot through a Marlin CB. All targets were shot indoors at 50 yards. I had a 4.5x14 Luepold and a lace on cheekpiece. I used a bag right in front of the lever so I wouldn't put pressure on the forend. I also a bag in the rear. I haven't shot any over a chrono yet, but that is coming.
    Last edited by crabo; 06-04-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Here's some more. Lil'Gun is next. I also added a picture of my boolit.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Looks like 12.8 gr of 2400 was your best load. I'll have to look for a bottle of it and try it out. I currently have 2 lbs of Lil'Gun waiting for my group buy mold to come in.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

In post #11, imashooter2, gives some chrono readings that should give you a good idea of velocities. When comparing targets, he is using iron sights and I cheating with a good scope.

I'm also working on a target plain based 160 grain boolit for plinking. I purposely made it with a 50% meplat and hope that it will work out for the long range, stalk and spot rocks, and metal tagets.

I added a picture of it just to muddy the waters.
    Crabo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12