WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the law on Contenders and Enocores

Boolit Master

Whats the law on Contenders and Enocores

As far as switching barrels and stocks. If it is a pistol origionally can you make it into a rifle?Or Not or is it if a rifle you just cannot make it into a pistol or is this just rumor? Or is it a law that you cannot do it legally?
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I have the BATFE "decision paper" somewhere, but it is essentially this:

If the Frame is 4473 registered/taxed as a Pistol, you can do whatever you want to it so long as you don't make it into an AOW (short barreled shotgun).

If it is 4473'd as a Rifle you are at risk of Jackboot if you "convert" it to a pistol, Short Barreled Rifle or AOW and it is discovered or someone tips the feds off.

The question arises at the point of when/why the BATFE decides to check which designation the Frame SN was registered by the MFG. An easy way to have it checked is to have some LEO see you with a TC in an SBR configuration.

99 times out of 100 there is no reason to check a TC Pistol to see if it was taxed as a pistol, but you could be the 1% who ends up in hot water...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master

OK thanks so If I have a pistol and want to make a rifle out of it I can and back to a pistol again and be legal as long as I do not make a short rifle or shotgun. Thanks.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    OI if you can post that "decision paper" perhaps it could be "stickied" in the appropriate place.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Perhaps a Supreme Court of the United States Decision might answer the question?

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

Boolit Master

Thanks for Posting Rockydog

The above mentioned decision is correct, but not as it applies to a T/C. A number of years ago Thompson took BATF to court over this very thing and won a case against them. T/C's have always been sold as a frame, and whatever barrel and stock you wanted.
    The T/C is legal with pistol or rifle barrels, (or even shotgun barrels) as long as the pistol length (under 16") has the pistol grip stock on it at the same time, and vice versa. If you put the rifle length barrels on your frame, then you're required to have a rifle buttstock in place to meet minimum overall length. It's up to the individual to be sure he doesn't mix the wrong stock or grip with the improper length barrel.
    One exception to this ruling is if you have your T/C reclassified as a "Class 3 weapon". Then anything goes, and you can pay the stamp fee and use whatever barrel and stocks you like.

In Remebrance

Also check your State laws as they may affect this.

Boolit Buddy
    I must be mixed up, but I have bought barrels from custom barrel makers at lengths 16 1/4 and over as pistols barrels and have shot in matches with other like gun. I thought the rifle barrels had to be over 16" but a pistol barrel could be any length. Like the shot guns with pistol grips with the 18 1/2" barrels.

Kirb

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kirb View Post
    I must be mixed up, but I have bought barrels from custom barrel makers at lengths 16 1/4 and over as pistols barrels and have shot in matches with other like gun. I thought the rifle barrels had to be over 16" but a pistol barrel could be any length. Like the shot guns with pistol grips with the 18 1/2" barrels.

Kirb
    Overall length for rifles and shotguns must be 26" or more (with 16"+ barrel on a rifle, 18"+ on a shotgun), but yes, a handgun can have any barrel length.

Not much logic to the law, but what else is new?

JW6108 - statment above is correct, period! that is the law.

BUT one thing almost every one misses, yes you can convert a handgun into a long gun but once you convert it is not leagle to change back to a handgun without the tax paid and permission from atf and local law enforcement. this is FACT, like it or not this is the way it is!!!

example- buy Encore handgun and your form 4473 says so, you can convert to longgun ONCE!
    but not back to a handgun, even though it was purchased as one.

supreme court law on this did not allow you to change back and forth at will, only to be made into a long gun once. FACT!!!

I thought that notwithstanding curios and relics, it was illegal to mount a stock on a handgun, such as used on Lugers and Mausers.
    Morgan

Boolit Master
    This kind of topic does nothing but flare tempers. I have seen it happen before. Like talking politics and religion. He said she said.
    Well with all the lawyers who want to intepret the laws for us, bend and twist them to suit them selves.
    My thinking on the whole subject. If you get into the rifle pistol thing on a real legal issue. Chances are you have more to worry about than just that. Read, you screwed up to raise the question to begin with.
    jeff

Call your local BATF office. I guarantee you they'll tell you that you can switch back and forth on a TC without getting into trouble, as long as the configuration assembled is legal configuration.
    I've talked to them after having this same discussion with a few friends. I'm no fan of BATF, but they are very helpful answering this question.

Boolit Master

I've been following this conversation for nearly 30 years and would have to agree with marlinman.

If owning a TC receiver with the 'wrong' parts, either as a rifle or hangun would put the owner in legal jepardy, TC would not make a receiver that could be used either way.

I own several Contenders and recall that TC put a warning in the owners manual that the gun should never be assembled with a shoulder stock and handgun barrel at the same time.

I also recall a decision many years ago that removed the owner of a TC handgun concurrently with a rifle barrel and rifle shoulder stock from any legal liability regarding "constuctive possession" of a SBR. I recall this only because I had a Contender pistol at the time and was interested in a carbine conversion but concerned about the legal status of same. After the decision was published, I purchased the carbine barrel and buttstock without undue concern.

If I felt the need to confirm the legality of switching barrels and stocks on a Contender or Encore, I would get in touch with TC for an answer.

Jack

THREE different atf agents, THREE different answers. TC is no real help either, many people have talked to them and got different answers.

IF you are not doing something else criminal, I doubt they will bother with you, but they would surely use it as an add on charge if they got you for something else.

you will just have to read and comprehend the law to the best of your ability and take your chances! thats why we have lawyers.

keep in mind the only opinion that matters is the judge who hears the case.

Boolit Buddy
    So if you TC was sold as a pistol, frame, or a combo pistol/rifle.

1) If your TC has the pistol grips installed then the barrel length is irrelevant.

2) If your TC has the rifle stock attached then the barrel length must be 16" or more and overall length be over 26.5" or more if it is not a shotgun barrel. If it is a shotgun barrel then the barrel length changes to 18" or greater, overall length remains 26.5" or more.

At no time during the conversion process to or from #2 can the rifle stock be installed at the same time as a barrel that violates minimum barrel or overall length for rifle/shotgun.

-yarro

Boolit Master

If the barrel is rifled It dont matter You can take a 870 rem shotgun remove the mag tube and cut it to 6in IF THE BARREL IS RIFLED. that is why the Judge is legal. Its a shotgun with a rifled barrel. You can take a 1911 45 and put the shoulder stock on it its a hand gun with a shoulder stock. The 460 S&W is legal as a sawed off shotgun. It will shoot a cut off 410shell as good as a 410shotgun
    Last edited by shotman; 05-25-2009 at 10:06 PM.

(If the barrel is rifled It dont matter You can take a 870 rem shotgun remove the mag tube and cut it to 6in IF THE BARREL IS RIFLED. that is why the Judge is legal. Its a shotgun with a rifled barrel. You can take a 1911 45 and put the shoulder stock on it its a hand gun with a shoulder stock. The 460 S&W is legal as a sawed off shotgun. It will shot a cut off 410shell as good as a 410shotgun)

SORRY, but you are so compleatly wrong with this statment! that will get you put away. are you trying to make a funny? if not please re read the law!

Generous Donator

Quote Originally Posted by TREERAT View Post
    (If the barrel is rifled It dont matter You can take a 870 rem shotgun remove the mag tube and cut it to 6in IF THE BARREL IS RIFLED. that is why the Judge is legal. Its a shotgun with a rifled barrel. You can take a 1911 45 and put the shoulder stock on it its a hand gun with a shoulder stock. The 460 S&W is legal as a sawed off shotgun. It will shot a cut off 410shell as good as a 410shotgun)

SORRY, but you are so compleatly wrong with this statment! that will get you put away. are you trying to make a funny? if not please re read the law!
    TreeRat,
    Are you by chance an attorney, Judge or BATF agent. I have checked with BATF and the state I live in on T/C's and as long as the frame is used properly it doesn't matter. A legal rifle is a legal rifle as is a pistol. I'm not going to argue the other points but if , like what was stated above on T/C's, it wasn't legal to swap them around they would be marked differently. T/C would be in court constantly fighting to keep their product on the market. That issue was taken care of years ago. Just like the Judge, if it wasn't legal they wouldn't be selling them. The other comments I'm not qualified to say what was said is OK. Personally I wouldn't cut down a rifles shot gun barrel to less than 18.25" and not be attaching butt stocks to pistols with short barrels. Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast