RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Felix Lube - the Short Version

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yes, more cooking, and while you are at it, add some grated (very fine) ivory soap, say a tablespoon per 8 ounces. ... felix
    felix

[QUOTE=felix;173705]Yes, more cooking, and while you are at it, add some grated (very fine) ivory soap, say a tablespoon per 8 ounces. ... felix[/QUOTE]

[B]And sprinkle with parsley.[/B]

Boolit Mold

Someone May Have Already Thought of This...

Here lately, I have been experimenting with lubes and making small batches (2-4 oz). The best thing I've found for keeping measurements precise is a large (read 2+ oz) vetinarian (sp) syringe. It has helped me ALOT. (Wish I had thunk of `dis years ago)
    God Guns Guts Give us revival
    QN

Boolit Master

Spammer

Boolit Man

Questian For Felix

After cooking a batch of Felix Lube and adding the Ivory ,I poured the mixture in to a plastic container. After 2 days it had layered. Does it need more cooking or more Ivory?
    THNX Don

Yes, on both counts. Raise temp up to smoking, and then add Ivory (same amount as last time) and stir until fully mixed. Then continue lower temp, say at 200 degrees, for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Always drop the temp if smoking. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    We don't have the soap brand Ivory here in Sweden, so I bought pure sodium stearate (cost me a lot) and made an experiment with only the oils. After one hour of cooking I had a paste-like light brown substance.
    No good, after a couple of weeks a clear liquid had separated out of the paste.

So...... I'm a bit sceptical about this castor/mineral mix in a lube.

Now I'm looking for PAO oils instead, to replace castor and mineral. And do without sodium stearate/Ivory soap.

I made the lube as per the given formula about a month ago. I did add green crayon to make it look, well, like RCBS lol. Makes it a little more pleasant to look at, especially on the bullet.

Oh yeah, I also added the J Paste wax. That helped with the smell too, not to mention shiney bores.

Now, when I fire my 38 spl rounds the odor reminds me of the smell you get when you shoot 22 LR, and I like that.

Anyway, I love this stuff cause I don't need a heater. Leading is now a thing of the past. I think the hardness is right on target. Any harder and I think a heater would be in the works.

Tks Felix!
    Last edited by Sprue; 06-04-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    Sprue ™

Maybe we can help the Swedes with some mods. Their components are not the same as ours, probably for different reasons other than those which are obvious over here (like EPA). So, please substitute freely and report back. The objective is a fully controllable lube composition: hard/soft; wet/dry; rough guns/ BR guns, etc. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Man

More Heat More Ivory

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeGreen View Post
    After cooking a batch of Felix Lube and adding the Ivory ,I poured the mixture in to a plastic container. After 2 days it had layered. Does it need more cooking or more Ivory?
    THNX Don
    My local Wally World sells mineral oil in a 16 oz. bottle and caster oil in an 8 oz.bottle. After cooking that for about 40 min.,I added about 1/3 of a cake of Ivory. On the second heating,I added about 3/4 of a cake and it has not layered in 4 days. It seems to be slicker than owl snot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by utk View Post
    I checked two brands of Baby Oil in the Supermarket, they both contain "Liquid Paraffin".
    Do your baby oil bottles say the same thing as here in Sweden?

I was curious so I looked on my Baby Oil bottle and all it says under ingredients is mineral oil and fragrance. This is Johnson's brand.

Boolit Buddy
    I think Liquidum Paraffinum is classified as a mineral oil. I found that it seemed to have a higher smoke point than ATF so I tried to "pre-cook" this liquid paraffin and castor oil. I also used pure sodium stearate since we don't have Ivory soap here in Sweden.
    But this experiment failed, it separated. Haven't used it to make any lube, kind of sceptical about the whole design of the lube. There must be something wrong as many seem to have problems with separation. While others have no problems at all.
    I want a stable and repeatable recipe. But since I don't need lube for anything but revolver, most any lube recipe will probably do fine...
    Last edited by utk; 10-15-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Boolit Master

I am going to attempt to make some FL, and have purchased mineral oil and caster oil, (at different times as not to look to the clerk like I have internal problems) and have some Ivory of course. My question is then the Lanolin I see varies, so am I looking for the pure stuff that looks to be somewhat solid?

Doug

Boolit Buddy

94Doug,
    I used the very solid lanolin. Worked out fine when I made mine. The only problem I have had is related to pan lubing. For some reason (probably related to the ivory soap) the lube gets stiffer every time i heat it to pan lube.

I'll keep tinkering to figure it out.

I like felix lube.

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    I am going to attempt to make some FL, and have purchased mineral oil and caster oil, (at different times as not to look to the clerk like I have internal problems) and have some Ivory of course. My question is then the Lanolin I see varies, so am I looking for the pure stuff that looks to be somewhat solid?

Doug

Boolit Master

Thanks!!

Doug

Boolit Buddy
    excuse me if this has been asked before. Where do you get your Beeswax?

Cast Boolits Owner

A couple members here sell beeswax. Blammer is the one that comes to mind first. Can't remember the other guy at the moments. I am sure he will chime it.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehorn View Post
    excuse me if this has been asked before. Where do you get your Beeswax?
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Blammer and RandyRat are the 2 that come to mind , PM eather one and I'm sure you will get an answer .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Cast Boolits Owner

That's him! RandyRat. Give either a jingle (Christmas spirit eh?) and they will hook you up.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Bub
    Can liquid lanolin be used to make Felix lube?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast