Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Felix Lube - the Short Version

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    This is to update my test results regarding the use of stearic acid in FWFL (mentioned in post #336 in this tread) to address my concerns that the acid may cause rust or corrosion in my firearms,ammunition, or loading equipment.

It has now been 7 weeks since I first started the test using steel as a test medium. There is no sign of rust on the test sample yet. It is important to note that not only has the sample been subjected to FWFW made using stearic acid, I have also subjected it to "Pure" stearic acid for the same period of time with the same result. No rust or even any discoloration. On Sept 19th I added a polished cartridge case and a copper Hornady gascheck to the test, again with FWFL and "pure" stearic acid. To date, there is no sign of corrosion on these samples either. I plan to let this test run for at least a year and I'll update from time to time.
    Pictures of your test subjects would be interesting.

Boolit Master
    Attached are the requested photos of my stearic acid test.

This first photo is of the mild steel bar stock which I had rough sanded and applied pure stearic acid to 7 weeks ago. The stearic acid is the white beads in the image.

This second image is the other end of the same bar to which I smeared some FWFL made with stearic acid. You can also see one stray bead of pure stearic acid stuck to the lube.

This third image is of a polished 223 case and a Hornady copper 44 cal gas check, each smeared with the same FWFL. This is after 6 weeks.

This last image is of another gas check on the left as a control sample which is unexposed to either the pure acid or the FWFL. The gas check on the right is filled with pure stearic acid. This is also after 6 weeks.

Comments or advice on test parameters are welcome.

Boolit Bub

First time Felix Wonder Lube Cooking

Hi there

Cooked my first batch of Felix lube as the recipe on page one says. For pan lubing I thought making more would be good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Incredients.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	90553
    Here is what incredients I have used.
    Heated mineral oil which started to smoke at 260F. Added castor oil and cooked it between 260 to 280F for one hour.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3973.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	90559
    Added soap flaces

Name:	DSCN3974.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	90566
    and tried to melt it at 280F.

Name:	DSCN3975.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	90560
    The mixture started to foam up.

Name:	DSCN3976.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	90561
    After cooking for a while the ´foaming stopped and the stuff got like a chewing gum. Used a mixer to get everything into an even consistency.

Name:	DSCN3978.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	90562
    Adding wax from cheese.

Name:	DSCN3977.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	90563
    Adding beeswax from a 2kg (4pounds) block. Temp droppes to 160F, melting point of the bees wax.

Name:	DSCN3979.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	90564
    Recovered beeswax a bit more than 1pound. Heated everything up to 250F and stearing to mix well.
    Turned off heat and added lanolin at about 230F. Monitored the cooling process. Mixture seems to start freezing at about 170F.

Name:	DSCN3985.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	90565
    The smell produced especially from melting the beeswax is not too disturbing. About 3hours spent.

Was that done right or did I do mistakes like adding lanolin at a too high temp? Any differences how Your mixture looks like? Please comment! Thanks!
    Last edited by womblrup; 12-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Banned

your temps seem a little off but it looks like you done everything right.
    the cooking of the mineral oil and castor oil is the main thing here.
    the addition of the stearate is what makes the oils turn into a grease and binds everything together.
    [the umm cheese wax is just that wax b.t.w.]
    if you added the lanolin in right before the solidification of the wax you got it correct.

if you re-melt the whole thing down a couple of times it makes the lube a bit more homogenous.

Banned

Looks like a titch too much soap to me, or the oils evaporated somewhat. Babybel cheese rinds don't contain any carnauba that I'me aware of, at least not anymore. They certainly don't detract from the lube qualities, though.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    I know that chewing gun consistency and it shouldn't be a stage in Felix lube. Looks like too much soap to me. That looks like a whole bunch of soap flakes.

Gear and Run, doesn't that remind you a bit of making TnT?

Banned

Yup, just like TnT. The sodium grease phase of Felix lube (castor plus mineral oils with soap dissolved) even when cooled should be about the consistency of warm cream gravy; it should still pour easily. What I'm seeing in those pics appears to be either too much soap or too much oil evaporation. I use seven ounces of wax for the "original" recipe proportions and 1/2-3/4 ounce of fresh, wet soap. Slice it thinly with a knife and "fry" the slivers until they dissolve, I find it MUCH easier to get the fresh, damp slices to dissolve than I do the dried powder.

Also, you CAN fully melt the soap quite quickly by taking the oils up to 475F for a brief time, the soap will gel at about 450 or so as you cool it down and smoke profusely, but the MO and castor can take the heat for a short time. Just don't go over 500 or you'll have a fire. Don't do that indoors, either.

The thing to realize is that you're making a sodium-based grease out of the oils, just like the thicker varieties still used to lubricate steam trains and babbit bearings in large factory machinery.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Looking at his proportions he "assumed" 15 ml, or 1 tablespoonful, of Na stearate was also 15 g.
    Bad assumption. The soap flakes used are dry, not wet like Ivory. A tablespoonful by volume also contains a large amount of air as the soap is a fluffy material when shaved so it has large amounts of air between the "granules".

Soap flakes also may be pure Na stearate, Ivory contains other stuff. My testing in other recipes show that the pure stearate does "equal" work with about 1/2 the weight.

Gear, if you used 1/2 to 3/4 ounce I would be that would equate to maybe 1/4 to 1/2 ounce of dry flakes. If we factor for the none stearate stuff in Ivory I would bet about 1/4 ounce of soap flakes would be plenty.

Call it a 3 fold over soaping?

Womblrup, do me a favor. Try that stuff in a rifle with a load developing pressure around what a factory 30-30 load develops. Shoot 20 rounds or so and look thru the uncleaned bore the next day. Let me know if a fouling forms between 1/4 and 1/2 down the bore.

Using too much soap isn't an issue as long as excessive fouling doesn't develop.

I am on the side of to much soap. My Felix lube made in smaller batches as set out in the formula remains a liquid. It pours easily into the glass container I use to keep it in until I need it before it cools. I add the wax from the cheese and end up with a lube with a slight reddish tinge that fades to a creamy colour after a few remelts.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 12-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned

his chewing gum pics look like the GEL that I made with 3 parts mineral oil to 1 part ivory.
    I had to take the temps up to over 400-f to make it though.
    I seen he was using 3 pounds of wax for this recipe and didn't look at the other totals.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like 100 g of soap flakes. If that is pure sodium stearate that would be equal to almost a pound of Ivory.

I bet it works fine. The wax level should keep the residue from forming. I wonder how dry it is and how well it goes on bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Hi gents - thanks for all that good info.

1.) I found carnaubawax on e..y for less than I spent for the cheese. When remelting that lube for panlubing I will add some.
    2.) The 1hour cooking of the oils had been under temp monitoring. Measured temp when the babyoil started smoking 260F and did not dare to go above 280F also after the soap was added to avoid burning the chemikals. Made a note that the kritical Temp is 475F with the risk of fire at 500F. Keep a cover for the pot prepared to extinguish fire if it occures.
    3.) After adding soap to the oils foaming occurs as the moisture of the soap is cooking out. That is normal and nothing to worry about.
    4.) Add soap step by step, heat to 450F minimum to melt properly. Check for consistency and add more if too liquid or free oil is in the pot. I had no glue about the contend of useful incredience within the type of soap used and no methode to find out how much was needed. So I followed the recipe word by word. Used an elektric mixer to get everything more homogenous before adding the beeswax.
    5.) Wait longer for cooling before adding lanolin as the last step. When lanolin is in do not heat extensive also not when remelting.

Seems that I have 4-5 times more sodium stearate in now as required ???

Desired load is a 44special level just above MIP for accuracy in 44mag cases with Keith style boolits for use out of a RBH and a Marlin 336. For 44mag level loads I am waiting to get a GCed mold. The delivery of a .432 Lee oversized sizer die is painfully awaited from US. That is as far as I got in the moment. So it will need time until I can report about results within the 30-30 power range.

Well - some things had happend during cooking I did not expect when I went through the recipe as on page one. Best regards from good old Germany, Rup
    Last edited by womblrup; 12-15-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    How does the final lube feel? When a small bit is worked in the hand does it get crumbly at all or does it just soften into a putty like mass?

I have doubt your lube will work. I just haven't ever seen a gum like phase other than with oil and soap in almost equal amounts starting to get to temp.

I eagerly wait results from your shooting. I bet that stuff shoots well, it is more of a handling and potential fouling issue I would worry about. Higher wax content seems to reduce the fouling and it improves handling too.

Boolit Bub
    Hi there

This is how the final lube looks like: Shrinked a bit during cooling. Can be cut with a spoon. Can be flattened under pressure without braking. Sticks on the spoon and in my hands. Thats why I did not like to work it in my hands. I am happy with the colour - melted two crayons in to get it.

Name:	DSCN3986.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	90693

Well it is a lube of sorts...just not Felix Lube. Let us know how it works out for you.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned

Remelt it a few times with gentle heat, stirring the chunks around constantly as it slowly turns liquid. That will improve the consistency greatly.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    Awesome thread. I plan on using this once I get everything up and going.

Boolit Master
    I made a batch according to the receipt except the soap was old and fairly dry. The only difference I found between this one one the first one I made was that the soap didn't foam up much which was kind of nice. Looks the same and acts the same as the first batch I made. I been meaning to try some of the SL68 stuff but haven't yet.

Old thread, I know

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Stearic Acid in Felix lube........Update.

It was mentioned in this thread that some people have experienced issues with rust and corrosion in lubrisizers and firearms when using Felix lube made with Stearic acid in the place of Ivory soap. Of course this caused me some concern because I made a large batch using stearic acid. As I mentioned, I have not observed any issues (as of yet) with rust or corrosion, but I was still concerned it could be a future problem. So I started a test. I took a piece of 1/8" X 3/4" steel flat bar about 4" long and roughed up the surface with a 120 grit belt sander till I had a bare surface. I heated the bar to about 150 degrees and then applied some of my Felix lube (w/stearic acid) to a 1" section of the bar. To the other end of the bar I placed pure stearic acid. Ten days ago I placed the sample in my workshop, which is not climate controlled and have been checking it every day. During this time, the humidity has been about 60%. The bar is still bright and shiny with no sign of rust. I plan to leave the sample in it's current location long term and will continue to monitor it, but so far, no problems with rust.
    Spray salty water on your test piece every few days. I did a similar test to yours only I salted the test piece and left it outside where it got wet with dew each night. After a few weeks I had a look. The exposed bare steel had rusted - no surprise but the area smeared with stearic acid containing lube was clear. So was the area smeared with a non stearic acid lube. I was testing to see whether stearic acid would promote rust. It appears not to.

In fact, stearic acid is a rust inhibitor. Not only that, it is also a friction modifier used in lubricants. But what happens when it is chemically reacted with other lube ingredients? Can that even happen? But something is causing rust associated with stearic acid.

Stearic acid can be used as a soldering flux which means that it removes oxides but only when it is melted of course. It is also a marvelous melting pot flux, better than anything else. Just don't inhale the fumes.

GHS Hazard Statements
    Aggregated GHS information provided by 2028 companies from 17 notifications to the ECHA C&L Inventory. Each notification may be associated with multiple companies.

Reported as not meeting GHS hazard criteria by 1383 of 2028 companies. For more detailed information, please visit ECHA C&L website

Of the 14 notification(s) provided by 645 of 2028 companies with hazard statement code(s):

H315 (79.69%): Causes skin irritation [Warning Skin corrosion/irritation]

H319 (22.95%): Causes serious eye irritation [Warning Serious eye damage/eye irritation]

H335 (19.07%): May cause respiratory irritation [Warning Specific target organ toxicity, single exposure; Respiratory tract irritation]

H412 (10.54%): Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects [Hazardous to the aquatic environment, long-term hazard]
    Do be aware that commercial stearic acid is often a mixture of stearic and palmitic acids. Palmitic acid is found naturally in palm oil and palm kernel oil, as well as in butter, cheese, milk and meat.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Spray salty water on your test piece every few days. I did a similar test to yours only I salted the test piece and left it outside where it got wet with dew each night. After a few weeks I had a look. The exposed bare steel had rusted - no surprise but the area smeared with stearic acid containing lube was clear. So was the area smeared with a non stearic acid lube. I was testing to see whether stearic acid would promote rust. It appears not to.

In fact, stearic acid is a rust inhibitor. Not only that, it is also a friction modifier used in lubricants. But what happens when it is chemically reacted with other lube ingredients? Can that even happen? But something is causing rust associated with stearic acid.

Stearic acid can be used as a soldering flux which means that it removes oxides but only when it is melted of course. It is also a marvelous melting pot flux, better than anything else. Just don't inhale the fumes.

Do be aware that commercial stearic acid is often a mixture of stearic and palmitic acids. Palmitic acid is found naturally in palm oil and palm kernel oil, as well as in butter, cheese, milk and meat.
    Thanks for reviving this thread. I left that test piece of steel for a very long time and it never rusted. Since I made that batch of Felix lube, I have used it exclusively in every gun I load for. It works flawlessly in everything for me. From light 800fps handgun loads up to and including 2300fps 7mm BR loads. I get less fouling than some jackets loads I've used before and accuracy leaves nothing to be desired. None of my sizing and lubing equipment is rusted either. Based on my experience so far, Felix is the only lube I'll ever need.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast