Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: anyone use 700X powder with 115 gr 9mm?

Boolit Buddy

anyone use 700X powder with 115 gr 9mm?

im looking for a starting point for my cast H20 dropped 115 grain 9mm boolits.
    my first attempt at shooting cast bullets ended in failure as my barrel got leaded excessively.
    this time i water dropped the boolits, tumble lubed them twice, and will be down grading the load.
    does anyone use 700X powder? if so what do you load your 115 grain 9mm at? or your 230 grain 45 ACP?
    thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Wink 700x

Was given a gallon can of 700X, about 8 years ago. Used 4.4 grns for 1000"s of 120 grn 9's and 230, 200, 155 45's, all Lee molds. Had measure set up for this and always used it till I ran out. Not your cup of tea? Still worked in MY Glock17,Glock21,Norinco1911 and FEG 9mm. I found this load shot accurately for me in the aforementioned pistols. IIRC the charge is at the lowest end of the loading tables for this powder. My family thought they were all good shots with my pistols, didn't know it was the powder!!!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by par0thead151 View Post
    im looking for a starting point for my cast H20 dropped 115 grain 9mm boolits.
    my first attempt at shooting cast bullets ended in failure as my barrel got leaded excessively.
    this time i water dropped the boolits, tumble lubed them twice, and will be down grading the load.
    does anyone use 700X powder? if so what do you load your 115 grain 9mm at? or your 230 grain 45 ACP?
    thanks
    Methinks the boolits might just be too small or too hard. Either can cause the problem. The boolit MUST fill the bore AND the grooves to prevent hot gasses and ionization from blowing the gas cut lead ahead of the boolit and being welded (soldered?) to the rifling. I honestly cannot see a change in powder magicly changing your problems.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Le Loup Solitaire

700X in the 9mm

The following load of 700X worked well for me in a Baretta 92SB and a Luger. It is 3.2 grains. It is far from hot and well below what some folks like to drive 9mm at. The bullet is the RCBS 115 grain truncated nose with one grease groove. Cast from WW straight, no tin, no dunking. It is sized .356, the lube is NRA 50.50 alox. (From my notes)" It shoots into the 9 ring or better using scrubby 9mm cases at 25 yards, running a steady 90=92% thru the Baretta". The first critera was what would run the slide and then tuning for grouping. Other guns might require a bit more in the grain dept... maybe 3.3 or 3.4; you'll have to try and see what works best. I do not have a chronograph, but with the 9mm I try and keep fps below 1000 so as to not batter the gun-particularly the Luger (for which parts are all living in the high rent district) I would estimate MV to be in the 900+fps range. As for the leading....700X is not known to be a "ledder"....I suspect that your bullets are too hard and not obturating/expanding to seal the gas which is blowing by and cutting them. I've never used 700X in the 45 ACP, but friends that have...have reported that it burns pretty dirty therein. Taking their advice I used Red Dot and Bullseye from the getgo. Hope that this has helped. Good shooting. LLS

Moderator Emeritus

You might PM Mile Venturino. A long time ago in a Guns and Ammo? he recommended 3.X? grains in a 9 with 125 gr cast rn AIRC. It didn't do well in my P-89 but mot much else did either.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze