MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Portable Swaging press stand

Portable Swaging press stand

Has anyone ever made a small press stand. I would like to be able to bring it inside and work. I was thinking of a square tube or angle iron stand with the top just big enough to mount the press. The legs would taper out and I was thinking of using skids (for lack of the proper term) on the bottom that would extend out front the same length as the handle extends. I'm thinking that would keep it from tipping over. It's already hitting over 100 here and it's miserable working in the garage. Any ideas?

Boolit Master

Air condition the garage !

I have a portable swamp cooler but that can't keep up at 110+. Can barley afford to cool the house let alone the garage too. More comfortable to sit at my desk and and make bullets

Boolit Master

ETG,

I made a press stand that I use for the csp-1 corbin but it is a vertical press. Is your Blackmon press vertical or horizontal?

What I did was use an old disk share ( from a farming disk, they are readily available to me), a proper length of pipe and a piece of 1/2 inch plate big enough to mount press and have room for bins to hang off of plate. I did the same thing for a prtable relaoding center only I put 2 rectangles of 3.4 plywood the size of my liking on top and mounted equipment around the edges.

It looks similar to the battenfield tech reloading press mount.

You might also be able to use a work mate/bench mate tpe protable work bench.

I that is all too blurry of a description let me know and I will take a picture.

The Blackmon is a horizontal press. I have a Workmate I'll give a try - never thought of that. With the handle near the bottom of the stroke it sticks out (horizontally) about 1 1/2 ' from the rear mounting holes. That will cause quite a bit of torque. That's why I thought I would bring skids out to the length of the handle - legs directly under handle would hopefully prevent tipping.

Boolit Master

ETG,

You can also make your portable bench with a set of legs and a wood (or metal) platform that you stand on or set your chair on. That will help with the tipping. I just got a copy of the blackmon flyer thanks to a fellow member and I now know what your press looks like.

keep us up on what you build as I have an early Ted Smith SAS press that will need to be mounted in a similar fashion.