Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Free Lyman 61!

Free Lyman 61!

A fellow who was getting rid of some stuff his late father had stored gave me a Lyman Model 61 furnace, the thing looked pretty pathectic at first, but how could I go wrong for free! I plugged it in and it got hot, but not hot enough to melt ingots. I called Lyman and ask if they still had parts for these old gals, the answer was what I expected, "No sir, I'm sorry. We no longer stock anything for the 61s...How-ever, here's the number to KING'S REPAIR in Mo. They bought up all our old surplus for them, 1-816-358-9220. Good luck and thank you." Nice lady.

Well before I would call and order any parts, or send it to them I decided to take it apart and just give it a good cleaning and brighten-up the terminals, (electric stuff and me are like Golda Meir and arafat...Just don't really get along in the same room). O.k, so 30 minutes with a screw driver and wrench, some sand paper...Pluged it in, dumped 4 ingots in and 1/2 hour later...Molten lead! Now that I cast boolits under 300gr I'll give this old bottom pour a new lease on life...Free is good!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Buddy

Free lyman 61

OLD HICKORY--- THANKS FOR THE INFO ON "KINGS". THAT WAS MORE INFO FROM LYMAN THAN I RECEIVED LAST YEAR. MAN THERE JUST TOLD ME NO PARTS AVAILABLE. I'LL CALL THEM IN THE MORNING, I NEED A REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT FOR MINE. I KEPT IT FOR A BACK-UP, HOPNG FOR THIS KIND OF INFORMATION. THANKS AGAIN. Mac

Boolit Master
    Good for both of you, I love it when a plan comes together.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigmac View Post
    OLD HICKORY--- THANKS FOR THE INFO ON "KINGS". THAT WAS MORE INFO FROM LYMAN THAN I RECEIVED LAST YEAR. MAN THERE JUST TOLD ME NO PARTS AVAILABLE. I'LL CALL THEM IN THE MORNING, I NEED A REPLACEMENT THERMOSTAT FOR MINE. I KEPT IT FOR A BACK-UP, HOPNG FOR THIS KIND OF INFORMATION. THANKS AGAIN. Mac

There's also a place in Harrisburg, K&D SERVICE. They do restaurant equiptment and have hundreds of thermostats/rehostats in inventory. They should be able to fit you up with something off the makers numbers on the part, 717-236-9039. They do ship U.P.S.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Thanks very much for the info, I'm currently working on my old #61 too. Much appreciated.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

pots

I have the Saeco and the thermostate is kaput.even the engineer in Reddings cant get one.I would like to know who made the lyman and Saeco,seems its a secret.Redding did not get the pot when getting the molds.
    right now I am waiting for harbor tool speed control to see if that will do it.
    WILDCATT

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    I have the Saeco and the thermostate is kaput.even the engineer in Reddings cant get one. I would like to know who made the lyman and Saeco, seems its a secret.Redding did not get the pot when getting the molds.
    right now I am waiting for harbor tool speed control to see if that will do it.
    Santa Anna Engineering COmpany Carpenteria, Calif.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Robert Shaw is probably the largest manufacturer of heat control devices in the world. Take a look at it and see if there's a name and model number on it, just a shot in the dark, but look in your phone book for restaurant equiptment parts and service. These people have just about every thermostat and rheostat ever made. If nothing else, you can find something that'll work remotely. Most lead pots use a simple control device that's just a 1-10 setting...No problem, just replace it with something that fits and has the correct voltage and wattage. I've never seen a real thermostat on a small lead pot, just rheostats, all they do is control the amount of current going to the elements like a dimmer switch. I know that LEE sells a replacement for their pots through Midway USA for around $8.00. I don't know if it would work for your application as they come in all kinds of shapes, styles, and sizes. I'm sure there's something out there that will work for around $10-$15.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
    I've never seen a real thermostat on a small lead pot, just rheostats, all they do is control the amount of current going to the elements like a dimmer switch.
    If that is your belief, it perfectly alright for you to live by it. But, for the reader who might need more accurate information, I will say this...

My only hands-on experience is with an older Lee pot belonging to a friend, my Lyman 61, and my Waage K-4757.

On any of these pots you can hear the 'click' as the pot cycles on or off. I don't remember about the Lee, but the Waage has a 'pilot light' that cycles along with the temperature control.

That 'click' is caused by contacts opening and closing...which switches current on and off for the heating element. The movable contacts are controlled by a temperature sensing element which (in most cases) is a bi-metal strip.
    The more expensive modern pots may use more sophisticated components.

That type of control determines 'when' current flows, not 'how much' current flows and that IS a thermostat...not a rheostat.

I am certain the old Saeco bottom pours are the same because they were made by the same factory producing the Lyman 61, and I know that the old Saeco dipper pot (with no external adjustment) had a factory-set thermostat hidden inside.

A rheostat may work well for regulating the temperature of a lead melting pot...but I don't know of any pots that use one.

So, if the reader is hoping to repair any heating device that 'clicks', or has a light which cycles on and off...whether it is a melting pot, hot plate, or deep fat fryer...tell the guy at the parts counter you need a 'thermostat', then try to find a match.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 05-26-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

You're right Charlie, they are bi-metal thermostats.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Mine doesbn't look at all like that Nolan. It must have been replaced at some point.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhickory View Post
    I called Lyman and ask if they still had parts for these old gals, the answer was what I expected, "No sir, I'm sorry. We no longer stock anything for the 61s...How-ever, here's the number to KING'S REPAIR in Mo. They bought up all our old surplus for them, 1-816-358-9220. Good luck and thank you." Nice lady.
    thats some good info for me, I was looking at a used #61, but now that I know that there is very, limited support from a repair service ..... I will move onto other venues

Thanks for the info

In Remembrance
    Been using my Lyman #61 for forty years and now you guys tell me its gonna need parts.
    Doesn't anyone make a pot that is good quality?

Life is good

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

heat control

got my voltage control put it on line with my lee worked like charm.kept the remp even.so went to saeco and tied the internal wires and attached the voltage control an vola success.
    Thanks for the information on saeco.I felt that they made the pots as lyman went and changed to that abomation of the alluminum pot that melted, at the time the owner died.I think his name was Modesta.I talked to him once when I needed two pots repaired.
    get the harbor freight router speed control for $15.It will control the temp better.
    WILDCATT