MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: ? Most hated job in reloading ?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm certain there are people sitting in Hell right now being forced to trim cases to their proper length.

Ben

Boolit Master
    I hate sizing bullets. The Star makes it go faster so its much better to me. I don't mind brass prep.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

I recently discovered that mounting an RCBS primer pocket brush in my Shopsmith is a beautiful shortcut to clean pockets.

Doug

Lubing and then cleaning bottleneck cases, gimme carbide any day.

Larry

Banned

I hate picking up the brass. If that don't qualify, I'd have to say, pulling boolits from ammo that's can't be shot.

trimming mil spec's ...the primer crimp removal is a breeze compared to that

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Let's see.......what do I hate about reloading? Well, long hours of trimming and reforming brass to some ancient caliber, struggling to keep from ruining any cases. Carefully sizing a boolit to a groove size conceived by a lunatic back in the late 1870's and using a recommended "starting load" that are all individually weighed. Proudly looking over 50 or so finished cartridges to make that old blunderbuss speak, and then...........

Looking out the window and realize it's still raining and will continue for the next two weeks at least. ARRGGHHHH!!

Boolit Buddy

Cleaning primer pockets and then priming them

Boolit Man
    Making and installing gas checks.
    Beat profusely with hammer until functional.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
    Looks like case trimming wins. So what's the solution?
    Here's mine
    [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L5WN...next=1&index=5

Well this isn't mine. I don't have video of mine, but Dillons 1200b is great. Only problem is they don't have dies for all calibers.

Worst job is neck turning and reaming 300 Whisper cases made from 5.56 cases
    Last edited by scb; 05-29-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Hands down - brass prep. Trimming in particular. A real pain in the brass.

Shaking fine grain media from each and every 223 case is not high on my list of fun either. And yes, I do have a Dillon media separator.

Boolit Master
    I kind of like case forming (especially to obsolete or wildcat cartridges), and flash hole deburring and primer pocket uniforming don't bother me.

But I loathe trimming. Everything from discovering the cases have grown too long to setting up the trimmer to trimming each case to measuring the cases afterwards to rechamfering them to taking the setup down and putting everything away is done in a stupor of boredom and writhing dislike. The least irritating method, for me, is the Lee trimmer setup and a drill press, but it's still no fun.

Don't know why it should be so unpleasant, but it is.

Boolit Master

I pan lube. I cast perhaps 500 158gn .357 castings.
    I cannot flip the pan they solidify in, I have to get them loose. I have tried burger flippers, wax paper, now brass tube.
    In all cases, some of them reject the lube. I make my lube super slippery.
    In the end of the day, sticky, slippery, nothing I can do about it.
    I load them with a 310 loader.
    Then I get to watch the wife go through at least 500rds next range day.
    Hey, at least she is going to the range!
    Range time if good time.
    Pan lubing, although I can taper my lube to work with either .357, or .38spl, is sticky, slippery, gooey, and a pain.

Boolit Master

What do I dislike ?

By Sam,

# 1 Trying to find my wifes 32 auto cases that hide under rocks, grass, caterpillars,
    grasshoppers, leaves, inside 40 cases, she does a better job than I do, but when I shoot it alone I always come home with less than I started with.
    Don't ask me how she knows -- but she does. So now I leave the cabin with some extra empties and add them to the pile before I come home. Then I can say I found some extra. I think I need some counseling on this one.
    I hate having long conversations about should we use paper or plastic at the store when I am weighing powder.
    I keep my cases and some bullets and lots of other things in little butter containers, They are neatly stacked under my bench. Well Sophie the little Dog keeps stealing them and chews them to Sh%t. ( I live with that one )
    Trying to talk to people that could care less about reloading.
    Waste of time.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Having to smelt range lead in 90 degree weather, burns my buns.
    Two weeks ago it was still in unopened ammo boxes. In another couple weeks I'll return it to the range.
    It's all just a means to an end, and I guess I enjoy all of it, over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by yodar;574149[B
    ]At 45 bux a box for primers [/B]I GOTTA get the dropped ones , and Yeah ! It's no fun getting down for dropped ones

These old knees don't bend 100 per cent any more (but with 100% PAIN!) and I hafta have help to get up and I live alone ! ;>(

I am going to put some double sided tape on the end of a cane and get Back to work

YODAR
    $45.00 for a box of primers

Yep, I would be chasing every stray one on the ground also.

Case prep for me has been made less troublesome using a Lyman trimmer with a cordless drill and my RCBS case prep system.

I only neck size when I can, saves some grief.

Boolit Master

most hated job in reloading!!

i thought the journey was as much fun as the destination!!!!!
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

I really wouldn't mind much of any of it but there are days when my arthritis makes things like case trimming, chamferring or even emptying the tumbler a chore. Larger cases don't seem to bother but handling 200 - 300 .223 cases in a day leaves me with swollen finger joints the next day. As for getting media out of .223 cases I just hold the cases against the side of the running buzz box and the media runs right out. I drove a small finishing nail in a block of wood and just push each flash hole on the nail as I remove them from the tumbler to check each one. Faster than inspecting every one first. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master

I think my most hated job is cleaning up and putting things away. I don't have a permanent space to reload and have to set up and tear down each time. I am like a little kid. I enjoy getting my toys out and playing with them, but hate having to put them away.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    I hate it when the MRX showes I traded a bunch of firewood for non useable metal. Which also means I gave up my lunch...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast