WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: ? Most hated job in reloading ?

Moderator Emeritus
    For me; Case trimming, so many cases, so little time.

I NEED to add power to the trimmer!

John
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely case trimming.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Looks like case trimming wins. So what's the solution?

Yep, it's trimming!

I use the wax lube, (Imperial) that comes in a metal can a little smaller than a chew-tobacci can, just get your fingers waxy and spin a wide ring on the case. I read some folks use furniture wax in a spray can, a light coat sprayed directly on cases and rolled back and forth on a towel...An OLD towel! Don't ruffle any feathers here, remember...Domestic tranquility!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Buddy
    Anything in the winter-time when I have to go out in the shed at night to reload.
    Otherwise............brass trimming.

Boolit Master

Prayers needed!

I just moved from a rented room and a 10x20 storage unit into a 1 bedroom trailer. I have been here a month and I am still unpacking and trying to set up a decent reloading bench.

Oh I have the bench and all the necessary implemets and such but first I need to clear out a 8' x 4' area. This will probably entail moving about a thousand lbs of stuff out to my single axle trailer parked in the carport. Then buy a set of industrial strength shelves from Costco {60 bucks} and drag them home and set up in the clear floor area. Then organize my treasures and start stacking such on shelves and labeling etc.

Once that is done repeat procedure as needed until I can find the floor in my living room. Long term little use storage is to be in the trailer {enclosed and lockable} and my living room will be a reloading room, tv room and lounge.

I am by nature a slob and neatly organizing and putting away my reloading, shooting, smelting and other toys will give me a great ego boost and elevate my self worth and possibly make my life a lot easier and my home more presentable.

I have a new housemate and I would not want him to get into certain of my more dangerous chemicals, gunpowders, primers, chawing on mold handles etc. He is only 9 lbs and a Chihuahua but he has an insquisitive nature and insatiable appitite.

I am sure that the curious smells I have in the livng room are due to his dragging various alive or dead appealing {to a dog} items for future use and hiding same from me under and behind small areas only open to a small dog.

Once the area is clear I might be able to repair the vacuum cleaner and make use of it and generally make the joint more presentable. I may have a social life in the future and I would want no one to see the inside of this domicile in it's present condition.

All this is directly contrary to my nature but enough is enough. I need to live here and it is big enough if I organize it properly and keep it clean.

Worst of all is that I cannot find anything when I need it and my reloading and smelting/casting operations have ceased due to inability to find anything or make space to do anything. I load and cast for a lot of calibres and weapons and I have brass everywhere. I have thousands of cast boolits which I need to measure and label. The only things that are not mixed up are my propellants and primers. I have molds coming out of my ears.

And my gun safe is still in the garage of the ex. I need to reinforce the floor of the kitchin before I bring a 700 lb safe into it. I only have 5 weapons in the trailer and I probably should have only one but it is a pain to always to go and get the guns from the safe which is not on the way to the range and then bring them back.

So what part of reloading and casting to I hate the most? All the moving, labeling, organizing and the whole magillagh. Once it is under control I will return to being a happy camper. In the meantime pray for me.

Dan
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Not being able to shoot off the loads I just made right there and then!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by TREERAT View Post
    cutting off 30-06 cases with a dremel to make 358 win. there has got to be a better way.

I actually kinda enjoy anealing, guess I took to it like a duck to water!
    That can be cured, by using .308 Win cases!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Not being able to shoot off the loads I just made right there and then!
    Indeed
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

I dislike trimming also!!
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy
    Trimming is the worst,

and I'm with oldhick on the Imperial - best stuff going.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Trimming is right up there, yes. Primer pocket swaging military brass is up there. Hand weighing powder charges.

Gotta love the Lee collet neck dies. Trimming suddenly, well, not a thing of the past but much less often.

Boolit Master
    Brass prep in general. Triming, uniforming primer pockets, deburring flash holes and especially cutting off .284 brass to make .450 B. For some reason I kind of enjoy turning case necks, go figure.

BD

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
    Looks like case trimming wins. So what's the solution?
    http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Boolit Master
    Reaching into my wallet to pay for the powder and primers these days!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I must be the only guy who enjoys the entire process...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TREERAT View Post
    cutting off 30-06 cases with a dremel to make 358 win. there has got to be a better way.
    Mini chop saw from Harbor Freight.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master

+1 on Shuz. When purchasing powder an primers I keep thinking "There's got to be a better way. I may break down and buy a flintlock rifle and learn to knapp my own flints. Other than that. It's a hobby, if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. If I had to pick one thing it would be scrounging for wheel weights.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

For me it has to be swapping calibers on my Dillon 550, especially if going from large to small primers. Then resetting the powder measure to a new load. I used to dread lubing and sizing until I got a Lyman 4500, now I dont mind it at all.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I'm too died in the wool. I kinda like doing all the different jobs.

But, if pressed, I guess the worst part for me is shooting it.

You see, after all the work to make as near perfect a cartridge as possible,

I still can't shoot straight.

---sigh---

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast