Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger rifle

Boolit Buddy

Another Plastic Fantastic

Boolit Grand Master
    Two Large for a Mattel Toy??!! Ruger is smoking crack.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

lol Mettel Toy I was going to say that but thought how many would get it lol. You proved me wrong lol.

Boolit Master

Have we shipped all our walnut trees to china or what? I don't know about anyone else , but I 'm about fed up with all this plastic crap. Don't get me wrong, I have rifles in syn, stocks that I hunt with knowing they may get wet, but this a/r platform thing is getting real old. I carried one in a number of diferent places & wasn't all that impressed with it then. just my .02.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

In Remebrance

Ya know, I'd love to have something on an AR platform. They're fun. But isn't the market about flooded at this point? Maybe Ruger will do this one right.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger has a following that has been pounding on it's door for years.

Make he Mini-14 with a decent barrel and they would sell MILLIONS more than "just another AR" platform.

Swing and a miss ...

Boolit Master

My mini-14 is a old 180 series with a 1 in 10 twist, shoots anything I stuff in it.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

You mean to tell me, they can build this rifle, yet they can't produce a New Model Vaquero in 38-40????

Horsefeathers!
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    I won't buy one, but not because I don't like AR's, I do, nor because I'm not a Ruger fan, I am, but rather because I just do not need another AR. But I applaud it, mainly for political reasons. AR's are now mainstream, 10-20 years ago you could not say that. I'm glad if only for that reason. Whether anyone likes it or not the AR platform is the new Mauser 98, we will see more and more of them. I'm generally not an auto-rifle fan, but I am an AR fan. I've got two I'll throw money down with any of my bolt guns.

Quote Originally Posted by JW6108 View Post
    Huh the old man must be turning in his grave, 30 rd. mags. odis

I for one like it, it uses a gas piston rather than impingement...And why not another AR?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Why buy an AR M4gery when you can buy the new Ruger copy at twice the price? They must be counting on selling them to the guberment.
    I don't know what the bean counters are thinking at Ruger (drinking to much tacti-kool aid I guess), but I think they are making a mistake in moving away from making quality steel firearms and finding new ways to make guns out of plastic.

Well, I just came back to this thread and re-read my post. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against AR15's. I shoot one in Highpower Service Rifle (I'm just an Expert trying to make Master). They have become a fantastic platform for this sport in both it's service rifle configuration and in "space-gun" match rifle setups. My box stock DPMS DCM is probably the most accurate rifle I own. I would go so far as to say even with its iron sights, I can shoot it as accurately as any of my scoped rifles.
    But what Ruger is selling is an M4gery. Short skinny barrel, rails all over it, definitely aimed at the "tacti-kool" crowd. They even have a picture of a "swat-wanna-be" type in the ad page. I'm just put off by the price, MSRP $1,995. Even if the street price is 1,500 - 1,600 buck its way more money than a comparable M4 from a number of sources.
    They talk up the gas piston system, but I have read that system has its share of issues just like any other semi-auto. Not that its bad, its just not the be-all end-all semi-auto system Ruger is hypeing it to be. The one problem it does have is that it IS more expensive.
    Last edited by GrizzLeeBear; 05-27-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I agree with HeavyLead. The AR is what a rifle "is" today. The design is nearly 50 years old. It's what we send our soldiers to war around the globe with. I believe it should be part of our childrens education, and accepted as part of our culture. If you wind up in the military after high school, they're not gonna put an 03-A3 in your hands. They sure aren't esthetically pleasing, and they don't foster any emotional attachment, but they work. If we truely want to maintain our right to bear arms, we should be bearing the arms of today.

BD

Boolit Buddy
    I guess it's all a matter of taste fellas. Yeah, I trained with and carried an AR in the service. It's a good platform for what it's intended for. My passion is for a very good single shot (Sharps, Winchester, etc) or a very nice custom bolt action with very sexy wood added on. M98, M70, M77.
    Ruger quit making button rifled barrels and went the way of hammer forging, so that got my goat a bit. I just don't care for plastic firearms, never said I couldn't shoot one. If that's what trips yer chronograph, by all means, get on out there and BUY it! I do have an AR in the gun locker, as well as a Glock or two, a fella has to have a bit of everything!

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll pass.

I will wait til I get one in and shoot it before I cast my vote.
    Adam

They are obviously confident that there will be no "assault" rifle restrictions.

What is with the 16 inch barrel? What's that about. More noise. Less velocity.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

The Australian government said us law abiding folk can not be trusted to own one of those.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Grand Master
    My principal objection to the Ruger Stoner Rendition is its price. That's almost 2 Bushmasters'-worth, and almost 3 bolt rifles'-worth.

No objections to the AR-15/M-16, I carried one or the other at work for quite a while. I've never owned one, 'cause my Mini-14s have done well enough for me afield and as service rifles prior to adoption of the Mattel Toys by my old agency. Most of the reason I'd like to have one is to upset the hoplophobic hairballs in Sacramento that have declared The Black Rifles to be verboten. Lots of merit in that attitude, but $1000-$1200 seemed like a lot of cake to spend on irritating idiots--esp. when my current Mini-14 can keep up with most service-grade AR-15s accuracy-wise. Close enough to make spending G Money on shrinking group size 1/2"-3/4" @ 100 yards profoundly ridiculous.

In CA, we can purchase lower units with special mag well adaptations requiring *a tool* to dismount the magazine. Still a non-starter for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast